• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prone Cheek Weld Impact on NPA

Joesmurf

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2020
I’ve been working on prone with bipod trying to focus on fundamentals. It seems like when my NPA is off it is due to my cheek weld putting too much lateral pressure into the gun. I’ve heard it’s important to relax your head on the buttstock, but it seems hard to rest in a completely vertical direction.

I’m wondering if people have tips on getting consistent cheek weld that doesn’t change the NPA?

First and foremost, your check weld is part of your position, and as such should be present when checking NPA. It’s completely pointless to check NPA before you are completely in position.

Second, it is impossible to fully rest on the gun, you will always be engaging muscles too maintain your position. The important part is simply to have a consistent cheekweld from shot to shot, both in position of your eye in relation to the scope, as well as pressure on the stock.

I’ve been working on prone with bipod trying to focus on fundamentals. It seems like when my NPA is off it is due to my cheek weld putting too much lateral pressure into the gun. I’ve heard it’s important to relax your head on the buttstock, but it seems hard to rest in a completely vertical direction.

I’m wondering if people have tips on getting consistent cheek weld that doesn’t change the NPA?
Common problem. Some adjustable cheek pieces allow for some lateral offset. Cheek piece shape may not suit you. Poor boy fix is some pipe insulation and duct tape.