• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prone possition issues

nuclear_shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2013
When I get behind my rifle (700 PSS w/ the HS precision) I feel like in order to get the rifle solidly in my shoulder, my face is way too close to the front of the rifle. When I pull the bolt all the way back the handle wacks me in the face. I'm a tall guy (6'3") and have long arms. My LOP measured right around 14.5" (ex: I have my PRS stock cranked all the way out), and the HS shock has 13.5" LOP. Is this whats causing my problem or am I doing something else wrong?

Also, when resting my head (relaxed) on my stock, I feel like there is a lot of pressure. So much so that when i lift my head up, you can see the POA shift up quite a bit (when using a rear bag). Is this normal?

I am 6'4" and found the HS a little too short. You can either see if you can add some spacers/thicker pad to it, or get a new stock. I opted for a new stock.

Even with my AICS, I am pretty close to the bolt while prone, but the bolt doesn't touch my face. I also found that I got the best view through the scope by moving the cheek riser to the right slightly (RH shooter). It allowed me to look through the scope without turning my head so much.

Taller guys like us will go through some trial and error before finding a good fit on a standard stock. Lowlight has mentioned taking your LOP and measure it to where you have a 90* trigger angle on your finger. Then go shorter 1/4 to 1/2" for better use in a variety of positions.

Thanks for the advise, I guess it is just too short for me. I measured again and it seems to be 14.8. I guess I'll look into adding an inch or two to the stock. Should note that the rifle is a long action, which doesn't help with the whole bolt in the face thing.

Do a mock up by taping some type of padding to the butt until it feels comfortable.

Or if the butt pad is not glued on I get longer screws and add washers between the stock and the pad until it is right. Then you have a solid number to go with on a permanent solution or when ordering new stocks.

Remember - stock are set up for the "average guy" and at your height, that is not you.

make sure u arent way off to the left of the rifle also...if u get your left shoulder angled to far in front of your right it will move your head forward farther than it should be...im 6'5 so ive been there as well lol