• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

prone shooters beware...

WRMorrison

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2007
Arizona
...I'm coming for ya!!

Here's my latest pride and joy; and it only took my selling 75% of my collection to be able to fund it.... Here's the rundown of parts for those interested:

Stock: Eliseo RTS http://www.competitionshootingstuff.com/id26.html According to CSS (the manufacturer), this stock is currently being tested by OTF Quantico. It's practically infinitely adjustable, and mine is for the short action R700.

Receiver/Bolt: Standard Rem. 700 short action. It started life as a bare-bones .243 ADL youth model that I picked up on the cheap from WM (closeout, $325 + tax).

Barrel: Krieger 30" (actually finished out at 30.25" measured from the bolt face), S.S., 6.5mm, 1:8 twist, standard Palma contour.

Front/Rear Sight Bases: Phoenix Precision http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=889165&cat=545&page=1
http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=889707&cat=360&page=1
I chose the rear sight to be in service rifle clicks so that it's what I'm used to using.

Front sight: Gehmann adjustable iris http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=889558&cat=547&page=1

Rear sight: Gehmann adjustable iris http://www.champchoice.com/prod-GEHMANN_IRIS__0_5___3_0_MM_-780.aspx

Mags: 10 round short action AICS http://www.triadtactical.com/Accuracy-In...d-magazine.html

Handstop: http://www.champchoice.com/prod-CHAMPION_S_CHOICE_JUMBO_FORE_END_HAND_STOP-1128.aspx

The front sight has an anti-glare tube on the front for the sunny days at the range. The sling was made by a local guy (can't remember his name, but he sells good stuff at the local matches).

After purchasing the R700, I promptly took it over to a friend's house and he removed the barrel for me. Then, I dropped the receiver and bolt off with Allen Elliot to have it chambered in .260 Remington; throated for use with 142gr. SMK's loaded to mag length. While in Mr. Elliot's hands, I also had him perform the works on the action/bolt to include: squaring the front of the receiver, truing the lugs and lapping them, chasing the threads, bushing the firing pin, clean up the face of the bolt, and square the lugs on the bolt too. After MUCH research and questioning folks in the know, this is a VERY exciting cartridge. Here's a little info on it if you have the time and are so inclined:
http://demigodllc.com/articles/the-case-for-260-remington/

Anyway, on to the pics:

This rifle was actually setup for bipod use, and it came with three rails that attach to the forearm. I took the rails off for now, as I don't plan to use them anytime soon. I needed to be able to use a hand stop, but the forearm wasn't slotted for one....so I slotted it myself.
RTS2.jpg

RTS3.jpg

The stock has a "bag-rider" bar on it for shooting with a rear bag, or it can be moved vertically for use as a rear handle.
RTS4.jpg

RTS5.jpg

Sights:
RTS6.jpg

RTS7.jpg

Action pic: The RTS came with an extended knob, so I ground down the old one and epoxied it on. I'm sticking with the stock A2 grip since that's what I'm used to.
RTS8.jpg

RTS9.jpg

All tucked neatly inside a new Boyt case. It was only marginally cheaper than an equivalent Pelican, but built just as solid with the same foam. But as an added bonus, it's slightly larger than it's Pelican brother, and I needed every little bit to get this monster to fit inside. I still have to take off the stock to get it to fit, but it's not really a problem; it's meant to be quick-detach.
RTS1.jpg

Now to get it all to the range and work up a nice load... 8)

-WRM

Re: prone shooters beware...

Nice rifle, Iron's are not my cup of tea, but very cool.
-Felipe

Why a tube gun and not something a little more affordable like a McRee?

This is very sweet. Does the bolt cycle much faster as Elisio claims?

You should also check out Tubbs grip for this.

Fantastic.

Interesting rifle and stock. How do you like the stock so far? How is it and the action secured in it, I had seen some stuff on the tube guns and it sounded like they had to be "glued" in. Is that the case with your rifle or how is it otherwise secured to the stock? Lastly are the mags AICS mags?

Looks like a nice rifle though.
JMC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle, Iron's are not my cup of tea, but very cool.
-Felipe </div></div>

To each his own, but thanks! It took a long time to make the decision between irons and glass, but I figured I could get more use out of it with multiple styles of competition with irons. I'm sure someday it'll be wearing a nice NF, but it probably won't be anytime soon.

-WRM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that the grey or tan from Gary? </div></div>

This is the tan one.

-WRM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why a tube gun and not something a little more affordable like a McRee? </div></div>

Well, a few reasons. I like the tube guns for their adjustability. Plus, I shoot with a slightly shorter LOP than most people I imagine; about 10.5-11". Couple that with the fact that I shoot with a heavy coat. Plus, a lot of the people that I know that shoot the style of competitions I enjoy use this style of stock, and are highly satisfied with it.

-WRM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is very sweet. Does the bolt cycle much faster as Elisio claims?

You should also check out Tubbs grip for this.

Fantastic. </div></div>

I'm not sure about the cycling; I haven't heard that claim before (this is my first match rifle). What's it supposed to cycle better than?

-WRM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting rifle and stock. How do you like the stock so far? How is it and the action secured in it, I had seen some stuff on the tube guns and it sounded like they had to be "glued" in. Is that the case with your rifle or how is it otherwise secured to the stock? Lastly are the mags AICS mags?

JMC </div></div>

A lot of people do glue the action in, but this particular stock doesn't require it. It's a VERY snug fit as-is, but it also has brass set screws around the circumference of where the receiver ring is to hold everything in place. I might end up gluing it in at some point, but I'm still not sure. Also, the receiver is bolted through the stock and trigger housing with the action screws.

And yes, this stock is set up for AICS short-action mags. CSS also just came out with a long-action version of this stock for the .30 cal guys.

I'll definitely follow up with a range report after I get a load worked-up for it. Hopefully this weekend or next if time/the wind cooperates...

-WRM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">now that beat that lefty with his 30-06.... </div></div>

LOL...I imagine when German is in his 90's I'll have a chance. He's a local guy for me, and I've talked with him on several occasions about this project; he's an EXTREMELY knowledgeable guy. I had the opportunity to pull his target in the pits one day at a 500yd. prone match; didn't exactly have to chase down the holes...lol. 3-20rd strings, I think he had a 600-59X or something ridiculous like that...

-WRM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRMorrison</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting rifle and stock. How do you like the stock so far? How is it and the action secured in it, I had seen some stuff on the tube guns and it sounded like they had to be "glued" in. Is that the case with your rifle or how is it otherwise secured to the stock? Lastly are the mags AICS mags?

JMC </div></div>

A lot of people do glue the action in, but this particular stock doesn't require it. It's a VERY snug fit as-is, but it also has brass set screws around the circumference of where the receiver ring is to hold everything in place. I might end up gluing it in at some point, but I'm still not sure. Also, the receiver is bolted through the stock and trigger housing with the action screws.

And yes, this stock is set up for AICS short-action mags. CSS also just came out with a long-action version of this stock for the .30 cal guys.

I'll definitely follow up with a range report after I get a load worked-up for it. Hopefully this weekend or next if time/the wind cooperates...

-WRM </div></div>

Thanks for the information. I was thinking about possibly going with one of these type of stocks but I really don't like the idea of gluing in the action. Knowing that it can be bolted in makes it even more intriguing to me. As one last question are you still able to use the factory type safety?

Thanks for showing and explaining you rifle.
JMC

There are no provisions for a safety or bolt release with this stock that I'm aware of. I know the factory safety wouldn't work, but I think there are triggers out there with a bottom-mounted safety? I don't really know; I just took the safety and bolt release off the stock trigger. At some point in the future I'll upgrade, but for now the stock trigger will work for me (adjusted of course).

-WRM

I used a Jewell trigger with a bottom safety. That setup worked extremely well for me. I wish there were provisions for using a standard safety on both the Eliseo and MAK tubeguns but as of yet the necessary modifications have not been fielded. Maybe down the road they will.

Chill out chiller, I'll have more pics just as soon as I can...lol. I took it out today for the first time to do some initial tests. I don't have much to report since I didn't get as much feedback as I would have liked. The wind didn't cooperate at all and I had some moderate gusts. That, and the range kicked me out before I had a chance to finish my ladder test...

Overall, my initial thoughts are:

stock has A LOT of adjustability (it's almost overwhelming) and it will probably take me a good chunk of time to get everything JUST right.

I've heard that H4350 is a good powder to use with this round, but I decided to give Varget a try for today's outing since that's what I have a good deal of on hand. From my limited results (which I'm not sure I have the best confidence in because of the wind, not having the stock settings just right and not enough time to even complete the test), it seems that somewhere in the neighborhood of 36-36.5gr Varget work well (I'm seating the 142's to an OAL of 2.770).

So for now, no real progress pics unless you want a boring pic of a target with random holes punched in it...lol.

-WRM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRMorrison</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chill out chiller, I'll have more pics just as soon as I can...lol. I took it out today for the first time to do some initial tests. I don't have much to report since I didn't get as much feedback as I would have liked. The wind didn't cooperate at all and I had some moderate gusts. That, and the range kicked me out before I had a chance to finish my ladder test...

Overall, my initial thoughts are:

stock has A LOT of adjustability (it's almost overwhelming) and it will probably take me a good chunk of time to get everything JUST right.

I've heard that H4350 is a good powder to use with this round, but I decided to give Varget a try for today's outing since that's what I have a good deal of on hand. From my limited results (which I'm not sure I have the best confidence in because of the wind, not having the stock settings just right and not enough time to even complete the test), it seems that somewhere in the neighborhood of 36-36.5gr Varget work well (I'm seating the 142's to an OAL of 2.770).

So for now, no real progress pics unless you want a boring pic of a target with random holes punched in it...lol.

-WRM </div></div>

Have not used Varget for the .260 ( I do use H4350). The charge is interesting. I am using 42.8 grains of H4350 and you are looking at a significantly lighter charge. And still want to hear more about the build.

I've decided to shoot this in the mid-range state championships here in two weeks, so I don't have much time for testing. I'm going to load up a few rounds with 37.5gr Varget and chrono them this weekend and see what everything looks like. Sierra lists this as their max load, and if if produces decent velocity (~2700+) and doesn't make the bolt hard to lift or show any other obvious signs of overpressure, I'll probably use that for the match.

Afterward, I plan to do some experimenting with H4350. Do you load yours long or mag-length with 4350?

-WRM

im getting one of those chassis thats a fact!!! I have been wanting a tactical rifle and this is it!! Very freakin cool!!!!

How does the action atach to the stock? Is there any beading to be done? Are these stocks in stock or do you have to place an order? Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im getting one of those chassis thats a fact!!! I have been wanting a tactical rifle and this is it!! Very freakin cool!!!!

How does the action atach to the stock? Is there any beading to be done? Are these stocks in stock or do you have to place an order? Lee </div></div>

You'd have to get in touch with Gary at CSS to see what's in stock. When I ordered mine, I had to wait a couple weeks until the next batch went to the anodizer.

The action slides inside the main tube and is secured with the action screws (provided) and brass set screws. Some people glue the actions inside the tube and others don't. With some models, gluing is the only option. I know of a person who uses one of Gary's stocks for two different actions/barrels and just swaps them out when he feels like it.

You can also pin the recoil lug inside the tube and have spare barrels in different calibers if you choose.

-WRM

BTW, whereabouts in IL?

F'ing bad man! Post up some groups!

man thats one crazy looking rig good stuff ..... you goin to do a scope at all on this setup ?

very nice...but bring it, i am not afraid...my 40xc ks with a krieger 28" (built by the master and legend SG&Y Speedy)will not yield to your state of the art rifle...my over the course rifle has taken many big dollar rifles down, only to hide in their cases...

Does Buck Rogers know you have his rifle???
Just joking.

But seriously, that is an amazing piece of machinery!! You put some serious time into that rifle!