• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Prone shooting on cement

Shocktroop0351

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2008
SE Montana
Hi, I want to know if anyone thinks shooting bipoded off of cement has any effect as opposed to shooting bipoded in the dirt. I know that if you rest your forearm on a hard surface you should use a soft material between your stock and the hard surface. SO, does that mean you should use a soft layer between your bipod and cement? I know my gun jumps a lot more on cement when I fire that it does on dirt, or at least I can reacquire my target quicker in the dirt. And by watching other shooters I’ve noticed the same. Just looking for some experienced advice, thanks.

Re: Prone shooting on cement

Folks here have a lot of data to digest of late.

I watch our FV200 shooters cope with our concrete pad in different ways.

Some will push the bipod out past the pad and rest it in the grass.

Some will simply set up on the pad and apply some forward preload.

My approach involves folding my movers' blanket shooting mat over to provide several thicknesses, then setting the bipod onto that.

Others (including myself these past few matches) bypass the problem completely and use a rest or a ruck.

The results seem to be less dependent on the above method, and more dependent on the shooter.

Greg

Hey guys-
First off thanks for the replies Lowlight and Greg. I tried a little bit of both of your guys' advice. I tried adding a little pre-load to my position. But what I think really helped me out was watching that video that lowlight posted on that other post. I noticed that in that vid everyone's shoulders are square to the gun, whereas my position more resembled a check mark. So after quite a bit of dry fire and 20 rounds on the dot target from the tactical practical target, and a few more out to about 425 yards, I definitely noticed a big improvement. One thing I noticed that I wasn't quite sure on was now that I square my shoulders to the gun, the stock is more on my collar bone than in the pocket of my shoulder. Does that seem wrong to you guys? Once again, thank you guys for your time and advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shocktroop0351</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys-
First off thanks for the replies Lowlight and Greg. I tried a little bit of both of your guys' advice. I tried adding a little pre-load to my position. But what I think really helped me out was watching that video that lowlight posted on that other post. I noticed that in that vid everyone's shoulders are square to the gun, whereas my position more resembled a check mark. So after quite a bit of dry fire and 20 rounds on the dot target from the tactical practical target, and a few more out to about 425 yards, I definitely noticed a big improvement. One thing I noticed that I wasn't quite sure on was now that I square my shoulders to the gun, the stock is more on my collar bone than in the pocket of my shoulder. Does that seem wrong to you guys? Once again, thank you guys for your time and advice. </div></div>

What will get you good results is consistency in your position. The elements of a steady position are bone/artificial support, muscular relaxation, and natural point of aim. When bone and artificial support are doing the work, you'll be muscularly relaxed. There are no rules regarding the techniques you use to build the position, just make contact with the rifle and ground consistent. Where the butt to shoulder fits or feels right depends on a multitude of things. For example, the higher the position, the higher the butt to shoulder will likely need to be.

Remember too, in addition to butt to shoulder there are other factors to a steady position including: stock-weld, grip, non firing hand and elbows. Be sure to keeps all contact with the gun and ground consistent.

I don't usually place the bi-pod on the mat, but when on concrete, and if you have an HSRC-type thing, you can push the pod feet into the front lip of the shooting mat.