• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prone shooting questions.

Photobug

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2021
Jackson, WY
Shooting prone to is a whole new thing, last time I shot prone was at summer camp in the 80s and my body has gone through a few changes since then. Not that I as an expert then but I was skinny, limber and not struggling with shoulder pain and a beer belly then. I am shooting .22lr now but want to make sure I am developing proper techniques that will apply to centerfire if I progress in that direction. My instinct is to have the butt of the gun and my shoulder almost all the way flat to the ground but that is not working well for me. I feel I am cheating and the gun ends up below my shoulder pocket, which kind of works because I am only shooting rimfire.

I have been putting some extras support under the bipod to raise the gun so I can get the butt into my shoulder and fit a small bag under the butt. No one shoots precision at my range and I am the only one shooting prone that I know of, so I don't have anyone to emulate or observe locally.

You do not need to be low. That is old thinking and doesn’t work for precision rifle. Raise your bipod up to where you can rest comfortably up on your elbows. Your neck and head should be as vertical as possible. Then find a good rear bag that matches that height. Mine is 8.5” by 4” rectangle. But I’m 6’4”. Heavy fill is better than light fill for stability.

Reactions: Photobug
You do not need to be low. That is old thinking and doesn’t work for precision rifle.
That is kind of the conclusion I have been working towards. I brought a piece of 2x10 with me to create an extra lift under the bipod to try to get to a comfortable height for shooting. I did find though I was uncomfortable after about 100 rounds and had to quit for the day as my accuracy was declining.

A couple of threads on proper position and technique:

Don't let "recoil" in the thread titles throw you off, it is about NPA and consistency, which leads to accuracy. You can get away with a lot of bad habits on .22 because of the lack of recoil, but that isn't helping you develop proper technique. Be aware of what is needed and what you are doing.

Also, fatigue and soreness are a good sign your position needs tweaked. You should eventually get to an all day comfortable position

Also, fatigue and soreness are a good sign your position needs tweaked. You should eventually get to an all day comfortable position
No doubt my position needs tweaked but my shoulders are problematic already. After a few years of discomfort, I finally went to the Dr and he diagnosed me with Bursitis in both shoulders. Lots of things make it worse like working on my truck, but by the end of shooting yesterday I was getting stingers down my arms as I moved into the prone position.

I have visited a physical therapist but the work outs have not taken effect yet.

No. I have full-blown arthritis in both shoulders but when I’m well-positioned behind the rifle your abdomen and pelvis and back muscles are maintaining your position not your shoulders. You should be able to rest comfortably behind the scope. You shouldn’t be wrestling using your shoulders.

Find a good bipod (atlas CAL) and a tall rigid rear bag and work on building and breaking your position.

Be sure your plumb square behind the rifle. Rifle butt NOT in your shoulder pocket but resting nearer your center line against your collar bone. Rear bag supporting the butt stock and support hand manipulating the butt stock laterally and the rear bag vertically by squeezing and releasing pressure. Legs straight at a ~20-30 degree angle either side of your center line which is directly in line with the rifle.

ARCA rail and a good tripod will solve a lot of problems/situations.

Shooting prone to is a whole new thing, last time I shot prone was at summer camp in the 80s and my body has gone through a few changes since then. Not that I as an expert then but I was skinny, limber and not struggling with shoulder pain and a beer belly then. I am shooting .22lr now but want to make sure I am developing proper techniques that will apply to centerfire if I progress in that direction. My instinct is to have the butt of the gun and my shoulder almost all the way flat to the ground but that is not working well for me. I feel I am cheating and the gun ends up below my shoulder pocket, which kind of works because I am only shooting rimfire.

I have been putting some extras support under the bipod to raise the gun so I can get the butt into my shoulder and fit a small bag under the butt. No one shoots precision at my range and I am the only one shooting prone that I know of, so I don't have anyone to emulate or observe locally.
Become a supporter and access the videos that @Lowlight has on the subject. It will clear up a lot of your questions. You can then take a class to solidify the concepts