• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pronghorn Hunt Complete...

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    I managed to draw one of Utah's Pronghorn tags this year, and put him on the ground over the weekend. He's not going to break any records but he looks great and was the best buck we saw. Hope you enjoy the story:

For those curious, here is some of the damage caused by the 100 grain Cayuga solid bullet. Muzzle velocity is 3030fps, and the impact was approximately 480 yards downrange with an estimated impact velocity of 2350fps. After breaking his shoulder it passed through the contents pictured below before stopping just in front of the opposite side hip.

Curious what you all think of the damage and penetration, if you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts.

img_9706.jpg

Curious, did you mean to hit shoulder or was it a couple inches off your intended impact?
    Easy to do and still be an accurate shot at 480….

Im a meat hunter by and large and avoid that shot.
    Seems a lot of your posts are about filling freezers too and I dont recall if you use the high shoulder shot or not?

Damage is impressive.
    Wonder how it does not impacting bone?
    24” after hitting bone after 480 yds and that velocity is good.
    Small critter, so likely much less on a heavy boned animal like an elk, at least in my brain.

Your prior write ups have me wanting to try the 122 Cayuga in 6.5 Creed, maybe others, and a move this summer as well as a couple other big life changes, made getting a load developed, tuned, and fully tested an impossible task for 2023 season.

Reactions: coldboremiracle
    For those curious, here is some of the damage caused by the 100 grain Cayuga solid bullet. Muzzle velocity is 3030fps, and the impact was approximately 480 yards downrange with an estimated impact velocity of 2350fps. After breaking his shoulder it passed through the contents pictured below before stopping just in front of the opposite side hip.

Curious what you all think of the damage and penetration, if you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts.

View attachment 8232959
    Damage.. Quick Death, Penetration … Maximum!!!! Nice write up, Great Hunt and Pics!!!!

Reactions: coldboremiracle
    Curious, did you mean to hit shoulder or was it a couple inches off your intended impact?
    Easy to do and still be an accurate shot at 480….

Im a meat hunter by and large and avoid that shot.
    Seems a lot of your posts are about filling freezers too and I dont recall if you use the high shoulder shot or not?

Damage is impressive.
    Wonder how it does not impacting bone?
    24” after hitting bone after 480 yds and that velocity is good.
    Small critter, so likely much less on a heavy boned animal like an elk, at least in my brain.

Your prior write ups have me wanting to try the 122 Cayuga in 6.5 Creed, maybe others, and a move this summer as well as a couple other big life changes, made getting a load developed, tuned, and fully tested an impossible task for 2023 season.
    I normally am hunting for meat yes. I prefer not pummeling the shoulder, but when the shot clock is counting down I failsafe toward the biggest target zone. Especially on a limited entry tag that took six years to draw.

Reactions: powdahound76
    I normally am hunting for meat yes. I prefer not pummeling the shoulder, but when the shot clock is counting down I failsafe toward the biggest target zone. Especially on a limited entry tag that took six years to draw.

Yep.
    And they arent like a mule deer at 400.

They can run cause a leaf 2 miles away fluttered in the wind weird and they “felt” it.

Just was curious.

I managed to draw one of Utah's Pronghorn tags this year, and put him on the ground over the weekend. He's not going to break any records but he looks great and was the best buck we saw. Hope you enjoy the story:

Big congratulations on your successful completion of your Pronghorn hunt. Cheers!

Good hunt. I dont mind anchoring speed goats with shoulder shots. First, I think a pronghorn that runs a ways has a better chance of not tasting the best. Second, they can easily head off of public/ land you have permission on making for a bitch of a retrieval spoiling more than a shoulder . Third, the front shoulder really only has a few pounds best of meat and is worth sacrificing to avoid one and two. After dumping several does I saved up and finally drew my first buck tag this year, I'm fired up for Saturday. The new .260 CDG is going to get to pop her cherry...... hopefully.

Good hunt. I dont mind anchoring speed goats with shoulder shots. First, I think a pronghorn that runs a ways has a better chance of not tasting the best. Second, they can easily head off of public/ land you have permission on making for a bitch of a retrieval spoiling more than a shoulder . Third, the front shoulder really only has a few pounds best of meat and is worth sacrificing to avoid one and two. After dumping several does I saved up and finally drew my first buck tag this year, I'm fired up for Saturday. The new .260 CDG is going to get to pop her cherry...... hopefully.
    Agreed. Even if it means the chance to lose an ounce of back strap, I would rather hit that brachial plexus and drop the beast. Especially if on public land or next to private land with no access or permission.

Another excellent explanation.
    Makes sense too.
    All learning as most all my big game hunting is deer and elk.

My fiancé has her first speed goat tag for this Sat too.

Here or elsewhere, post up your buck!

She missed a buck tag in the main draw, but got a doe in the secondary and still kept her PP.
    I just pulled a point so we weren't both hunting this year.
    Only have the weekend, work next week and head out for elk camp early Friday AM.

Will do. Cant imagine I'll be breaking any records where I'm going, but I'm going to try to hold out for something half decent anyway.

Good luck to her this weekend and good luck for elk. Im jealous of the first season tag. Rifle hunting the tail end of the rut is sweet. Sometimes I wonder why the hell I started bow hunting them.

Cause bow hunting is fun too!!
    Though you gotta be a little nuts… (I didnt this year and like archery too)

Just a cow tag for elk for me. Again, secondary and kept points for a bull one of these years after not drawing a bull or either sex tag in any of the units I wanted.
    Im mostly a freezer filler, and like wall hangers if I get the chance!
    And the lady loves them all over the place! 😎

I am for the most part as well. Ive dumped a lot more cows than bulls. This year though the freezers (3) are still pretty full. We both dumped a bunch of critters last year, silly really. Luckily its not hard to give away meat. I gave away half an elk and 2 1/2 deer last year and we were still maxed out come Feburary. CO, KS and AL were good to us. This year its CO, IN and AL. CO tags were a little slim this year but AL can always make up for any "need". Crazy long season down there and you can shoot a doe a day and 3 bucks.

Reactions: powdahound76