• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Pronghorn Hunt Question

GardDog

LT
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2009
New Orleans
I have wanted for years to go on a pronghorn hunt. I have researched hunts from Arizona to the Dakotas. Have any of you hunted pronghorn in multiple locations that could point out the better spot? Any ranch or guide references? Any public land or WMA's that could be pointed out? This isn't something I plan on doing this season, just wanted to narrow my choices for a possible trip.

Re: Pronghorn Hunt Question

Medicine Bow Wy, Casper Wy, Wheatland Wy

Tons of public land. Call Wyo Game and Fish as for hunt area maps.

Then buy the corresponding BLM/State land maps.

go to the Wyo Game and Fish dept. website.

Apply for a '10 license on line.

Also, ask Wyo G&F for Ranchers names in the area you choose who will let you hunt their ranches. Typically they have a list of them.

Don't buy the cheap license. Odds are you won't draw the tag. Spend the money to draw the tag.

Done right your hunt for a buck and a doe shouldn't last more than 2-3 days. There's only about 800K Speed Goats in Wyo.

Ditto what Weda' said. Hard to beat Wyoming for access, animal numbers and cost.

+3 on Wyoming, i've hunted out there the past 3 years and it couldn't get any better, I haven't hunted goats anywhere else but I have been all over out west, and the mos animals/most quality animals, has been in Wyoming,

this is the buck I took last year, public land

wyoming2008002-1.jpg

Steve

We shoot some great rams in new Mexico every year. we have a great outfitter there. It's more expensive than a public land hunt, but it's tough to walk into an area you've never been without a guide and take a good animal. Not that you can't do it, it's just hard when you may have never been there or scouted the area. Just my .02

James

Hey guys, great info. As it's too late for this season, I'm trying to get my ducks in a row for possibly next year.

Wyoming looks like a great place to start researching.

Thanks

a group of us had 5 of our 7 tags filled with mature goats by 11:00 opening morning including a lunch break. Filled a 6th tag before the wind got to bad.

I'm not exactly proud of this, but the group I was with last year took 18 antelope in 2 days, I only took 2 myself, there was 5 of us...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, ask Wyo G&F for Ranchers names in the area you choose who will let you hunt their ranches. Typically they have a list of them.
</div></div>

What sort of a trespass fee should one expect from the ranchers?

the area that i go hunting there are so many that instead of it taking hours to find one to shoot it takes you hours to pick the one that you like without needing to move
in the off season standing up wearing bright clothing if you dont move they will walk right up to you around 25 yards or so

mdesign pm me... as always, I have the cream of the crop in access.

I've been know to give that access information to a few good pards. :)

Hmm??? This thread is starting to weigh on my mind... I just may do the same and do that... goat huntin! Is there a certain part of the state that has better quality? I sure wouldn't mind tryin to pop one like what you got. Nice animal and congrats!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can't beat it here, that is for sure....

lots of goats. twice as many as there are people in Wyoming..
grin.gif
</div></div>

He's not joking!! 6 of us took a whole 6 hours to fill our tags last fall. 4 of us killed within first hour. We were just outside Buffalo.

I don't really know where the best trophy produceing area is, I hunt around Gillette, and haven't had a problem takeing a respectable buck every year

You can find a pretty decent antelope about anywhere in Wyoming. Finding record book antelope is not what it used to be though. If you can find an area with BLM or get access to private land, finding a decent antelope will be the easy part.

I've always found the bigger goats are from Casper south. I've seen a few real slamers north of there. But consistently bigger goats from Casper south.

If you shoot them running, or after a run, you wish ya hadn't.

Finding them is easy getting a shot at one that's calm, it the challenging and fun part.

OK, OK... you have my interest peaked!!

Since I have been here (July 08) in Colorado, I have been wanting to go goat hunting. A nice mount quality buck would be awesome, but I am really after the meat.

Fundage is tight, so what should I expect for the tag and license and such for Wyoming?? Where should I start as far as talking to some ranchers?? Where in Wyoming are the good numbers of goats??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

DK

z71rat,just right down the road on 1_70,starting at Mack,Colorado and towards west to the Utah/colrado state line have goat hunting. I shot mine a few miles down 1-70 at Cisco,Utah. Practice it your backyard,did see a trophy goat,but went for a younger goat for eating. It still I beleved 14 "horns".Still got the horns.

Awesome!! Thanks for the heads up!! Yeah, the horns would be just a bonus for me, but I love the meat for grillin!! Good stuff!!

DK

Thae place i go you can bow hunt them with out a blind they just sit there and look at you

Do a search and get on the Wyoming Game and Fish site. That will tell you the costs and application dates and may have some info on landowners to talk to. I have been here for 30 years and don't know shit about the nonresident end of it. There is a lot of BLM and good goat hunting west of Casper.

At Mack,Colorad,get on the old highway ,go about 5 miles west,to cr road 2 ,get on it go 3-5 miles there is a control paire dog hunt and good place to look for goats ,more so early or late in the evening.Bring good bino's and camera. Check with local Colorado on these hunts. Good Luck.

Them are some good pictures! Calbiers of rifles? Shooting distance? Nice looking goats. Herd of elk always stirs the soul. Judging by the dress,equiment and rifles,I'd say are very capble hunters. Thanks for the pictures! Note: no comment on the 5 th picture down.

I guess ur allowed to drive around out there in 4X4s??? Draggin a deer round here is a bitch! Couldn't emagine draggin one a mile back to the truck!!!

That ranch allows you to drive on the 2 tracks. You are not allowed to get off the 2 tracks.
You don't drag goats. If ya do it'll be hairless 'till you get to the truck.
Either throw it around your shoulders or get a 8' pole and some rope and 2 of ya carry it to the truck.

I did some resreach on the "goat" before the hunt. Has 10 power eyeballs,heart is twice the size of normal mass,to substain the 50 mph runs. Hair is hollow tubual,has the ability to rasied the hair up in the summer time foe cooling and in the wintertime laids down for insulation for heat.He's cool dude!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crazy Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did some resreach on the "goat" before the hunt. Has 10 power eyeballs,heart is twice the size of normal mass,to substain the 50 mph runs. Hair is hollow tubual,has the ability to rasied the hair up in the summer time foe cooling and in the wintertime laids down for insulation for heat.He's cool dude! </div></div>

The eye sight will bust you if you don't have your shit together!

Your fancy, camo's that are marketed by all the big names suck! Typically you're are gonna be in dry grass thats been hammered by the sun. So your sage brush camo and you mossy oak bullshit won't work. You'll stand out like a neon sign.
The best camo I've found is light browns, beige and tans... and if you want to go commercial types. The waterfowl reed grass camos are damn near perfect.

50 mph is a bit slow... 60 is more like it.
What is absolutely amazing is they will be flat out... and turn 90* like they are on rails!

Barrel life?

Goats arn't hard to kill.

I would opt for one of the better known wind bucking calibers.

I'm glad I had the 7 wizzum when I dumped my last goat at 661 in a stiff 15 mph breeze.

However, I had a woman who was shooting a 223 WSSM and 90 gr smk's that ended up a with a DRT shot at 450.

I had a buddy using my 260 with 140 smk's that did a nice buck it its bed at a little over 300 in a challenging gusty breeze.

I've seen a 300 wizzum and 175 smk's steer very well in all types of conditions. That caliber/bullet combo has taken goats out beyond 700.

scan0021.jpg

Here in Montana there is no caliber restriction...I took this one with my Sako .220 swift.

In Wyoming you will need .243 diameter minimum.

scan0041-1.jpg

My wife and boys with an Antelope she shot with my swift at a little over 400 yards.

scan0021-1.jpg

My good friend, Al from the Yukon with a dandy Montana buck taken with his reliable old .270 win.

We stalked this buck for 6 hours before dropping the hammer on him.(public ground)

scan0036-1.jpg

This record book buck was taken by one of my hunters with a classic long range rifle....264 Winchester Magnum. Shot was a little over 300 yards.

scan0037.jpg

Another client with a 15"+ buck taken with a .257 Weatherby.

Wed'a...you knew it was just a matter of time before I threw in here......grin.

scan0005-2.jpg

Here's a cool one we got two years ago...Massive freak!!

Shot with a .257 Weatherby at 420 meters.

scan0047-1.jpg

We named this one the "Bananna Buck". A buddy and myself bow hunted this goofy buck for 3 weeks with no luck. We slipped back in opening day of rifle season and got a little payback!! I won the coin toss. Taken with my swift at about 300 yards.

scan0025-2.jpg

One of my hunters with a buck he shot with his .270....neat prongs!!

scan0007-4.jpg

This buck was taken by one of my clients with my Surgeon .308 at 505 meters.

you suck.. I hate you...a little bit...

I chased one like the "winger" buck.. never could close the gap inside of 800 yards... wind was howling for 3 days...still haunts me...

scan0023-2.jpg

I know you're just kidding..grin.

Another one from "back in the day"

scan0033-1.jpg

I shot this heavy old buck in Wyoming's Red Desert. 15 3/4", 81 B&C. .243 Sako.

There used to be a lot of record book goats come out the Red Desert. The first one I ever shot was a book goat and I threw the horns out because they were the smallest of the bunch. I haven't hunted the desert for about 8 years. I'm sure it has changed with all the latest drilling activity. I hope the wild horses are still there.

PGS,

Those are some GREAT bucks!!! I hav'nt bought my tag in wyoming for quite a few years.But your pics are making me want to!

I have access to a friends granpas place south of Casper.I might just have to get a tag this fall. The beuty of it is it's all private land.Just buy a leftover and your GTG!

n1382581942_30208612_2062.jpg

How about this little goat taken with the 280 Ackley?
Thanks Pat!

Hey, Nick! That was a fun day spent with good company. I'll be thinking of you this year during our long shot hunt.

I've been out looking at Antelope bucks and the horns look good this year...been seeing one out south that will make at least 80" B&C.

Hows that new A5 Mcmillan working out on your .280?