• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pronunciations or Pronounciations - A Shooters Dictionary

Glassaholic

Optical theorist and conjecturer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Panhandle, FL
    This might be a post better geared toward English majors ;) Maybe it's my ADHD or maybe it's my Type A personality (or both), but pronunciations is something I get hung up on, if I'm pronouncing someones name wrong I want to get it right so I usually ask, but sometimes we hear something and realize, ooops, I've been saying that wrong for a while... so with this thread I will try to keep a running link of industry terms and names and you all can help me out.
    1. Hornady - I've always thought it was Horn-uh-Dee but I hear so many guys saying Horn-uh-Day... which one is it?
    2. Heckler and Koch - this one I know, I used to think Koch was pronounced like it looks - Kahch, but it's actually pronounced "Coke"
    3. Kahles - Used to think this was Kay-less but it's actually pronounced Call-Us
    4. Ogive - used to think this was pronounced how it looks - Oh-Give (with a strong I) but it's actually pronounced Oh-Jive
    5. Leupold - still hear a lot of guys say Lee-Uh-Pold but as far as I know it is Loo-Pold
    There's many more, but that's a good place to start, so let me know what you've run across. The hardest ones are obviously going to be the names of companies or products from foreign countries as much gets lost in translation, heck, half the people I meet mess up my last name and it's pretty easy (for me anyway :LOL: ). Don't even get me started with some Gen Xer's first names, as a product of parents from the drug induced trances of the 60's and 70's we get names like Aleeyshya but still pronounced like Alicia, okay, let's not go down that rabbit hole :ROFLMAO:

Hodgden. I don’t know the correct way, but it’s too hard to say hodge-den, so it could be hog den or hodgen. I usually just laze out and say hog den.

Hodgden. I don’t know the correct way, but it’s too hard to say hodge-den, so it could be hog den or hodgen. I usually just laze out and say hog den.
    Always pronounced that Hoj-en, but I've heard all over the place with that one... One trick I've used in the past is finding if the company has a youtube video and listen to how reps from the company say the word, but if English is a second language for them or they're from down south then that might not help :LOL:

Hornady - I've always thought it was Horn-uh-Dee but I hear so many guys saying Horn-uh-Day... which one is it?
    No reason why it should have an A in there anywhere. No day on the end.
    1. Heckler and Koch - this one I know, I used to think Koch was pronounced like it looks - Kahch, but it's actually pronounced "Coke"
    Agree
    1. Kahles - Used to think this was Kay-less but it's actually pronounced Call-Us
    Kahles is German, so like H&K and Leupold, you need to look at German for the pronunciation. The e in German is pronounced more like the ay in day. So Call/ays
    1. Ogive - used to think this was pronounced how it looks - Oh-Give (with a strong I) but it's actually pronounced Oh-Jive
    Oh, no idea, lol. It is French in origin. Nothing makes sense to me if it is French. Google says you are correct on the Oh-Jive. It is an old architectural term, relating to the diagonal of an arch, which is the shape of that area of the bullet.
    1. Leupold - still hear a lot of guys say Lee-Uh-Pold but as far as I know it is Loo-Pold
    Correct, again.

Reactions: Glassaholic
    Uh, oh. I have been saying Hog-den. :LOL:

Which is obviously wrong. It ends in on, not en. Hodgdon.

Internet says . . . haaj/dn. :cautious: I will try to remember.

Spelling test:

Creedmore
    Creedmoor
    IMG_5815.gif

• Haha
    Reactions: carbonbased
    M-A-N-B-U-N
    I shoot 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor out of my LMT, gotta say I love the Creedmoor so looks like I'm Ray Romano here :ROFLMAO: Clearly Kevin James is the 308 shooter ;)

Question, if Creedmoor = manbun, then what is PRC?

Last edited:
    Swarovski.

Swar-ov-ski. Just like it's spelled.

I've heard:
    Suh-wor-skee
    Suh-vor-skee
    Sore-ski
    Suave-skee
    And, the most popular, Swaros

Let's really dig into this shit.

Q: What grain are you running?

What? Do you mean weight?

Yeah, grain weight.

No dumbass, grains is a unit of measurement. You express it with a number, but you don't ask what grain weight.

Apply the above to velocity.

It's not, What is your FPS, FFS.

It's, what is your velocity?

The only way you'll get something that's not in grains/FPS is from some dam You're a Peein.

• Haha
    Reactions: lash
    Lapua Scenar bullets
    Is it pronounced See-nar or Skee-nar?
    I've heard it both ways.

I thought Lapua was pronounced Lap-wah not Lap-ooh-ahh even though the latter sounds much better ;)
    It is Lap-wah...but for Americans it seems much easier to pronounce it Lap-ooh-ahh.

Heard it pronounced by a Lapua rep on a vid from Shot Show.

Reactions: Glassaholic
    Swarovski.

Swar-ov-ski. Just like it's spelled.

I've heard:
    Suh-wor-skee
    Suh-vor-skee
    Sore-ski
    Suave-skee
    And, the most popular, Swaros
    Simple. I see your problem. You need to purse the lips more, place the tongue on the roof of your mouth 👄 and repeat after me: “T͟Hōz thēving pātʹənt ˈtrō-llz”.

Read on from this link…takes some time.

TL;DR = @koshkin found that Swaro has a stupid prob invalid patent that limits FOV on certain scopes. Leica Europe sued and invalidated it there. They lost in Britain. Swaro is too scared to go after giants like Vortex (who ignore the patent) so it affects smaller Euro players like S&B on scopes imported to the USA.

No challenges yet in USA b/c it’s really expensive to litigate. Upshot is much of the world gets fancy scopes WITH higher FOV (S&B 6-36) while we in the USA get artificially limited yet still $$$ scopes.

Last edited:
    hoppies, hopies, hopeyes, herpies

understand-confused.gif

As long as you know what product am talking about, who gives a fuck
    breath in enough of the #9 and you just won't care anymore

Reactions: lash and Maggot