• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Proof 6.5 barrel life

atepointer

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Wondering what you guys have had b/f degradation and what you saw exactly in terms of MV and accuracy. I shoot primarily at 1mile/2k and just did a bullet inventory and went over the 2300 round count today. 26" comp contour prel-fit for Origin, 140g, 43.8 Staball, 2790fps and still shoots like a mofo. Figure this barrel doesn't owe me a thing at this point going to keep slinging 'em and just wanted to see if any of you ran into a wall at some point. Already have another one in the closet waiting for when this one raises it's hand, but dang I'm supremely pleased with it thus far. Figured I'd get 1500 or so from what I've read and seen around me(but those were other brands as well)

Reactions: lash
    My 260 barrels almost always go 2500-2700 before they start loosing speed.
    One powder adjustment gets me to 3000 and then they typically really start slowing down and es starts getting wonky.

Will also depend on how fast you shoot. I just pulled a 6.5CM Bartlien barrel at around 3500 rounds. I adjusted the load at around 2500k and finally pulled it when it could barely hold a 3/4" group.

Ok thanks guys appreciate it. I have not been what most would call kind to this barrel. There have been some days when @Mike Casselton and I were having so much fun just laughing and pew pew we just said screw it and kept shooting. Not glowing hot, but probably hotter than we shoulda. The Proof pre-fit is such a deal I almost look at it as a disposable item and at this rate of 2300 I'm not too inclined to stop that process.....going to do a chrono day sometime soon. Thanks guys.

I think I’m up around 2k with mine for a tl3. I have lost about 50 fps from when I started with it. I never got it to shoot super small groups, but I never tried that hard either. Shoots sub-moa with pretty consistent speeds, so I figured there’s not reason to mess with it. I have another sitting in the closet waiting for the current one to die. Figure it’s hard to go wrong for $500
    ETA: I shoot 140 ELDMs at 2750 (was 2790-2800) with 42.1 H4350 with LRP hornady brass and 140 BTHPs at 2700ish with 41.4 H4350 and same brass

yeah I should clarify I'm not a world-class shot by any stretch and my rifle is well under an inch but it's not a bug hole barrel. I believe that is primarily because of the guy behind it! I have a couple of friends who could probably turn this Proof into a super freak, but it does all I needed to do. Chip paint So I can have fun at the range with the boys busting each other's chops. Like today I didn't shoot that great but still had a great time with the hooligans. My rifle still shoots like a stud I just can't guarantee which guy is going to show up each time!

Reactions: CK1.0
    Not a carbon Proof but one of their SS barrels in 6.5 CM and I have 2k rounds on it.

MV is down 5-8 fps (lol) which I attribute to colder temps and the barrel is still fine. And this is in comparison to a lot of chrono data points so I think I have solid MV data.

Question for the experts, aside from looking at group size, how much MV would you tolerate before swapping the barrel out? 50 fps, 100 fps, or??

I have a couple proof Carbons in 6 and 6.5 creed. The 6.5 was my first full custom build and I have had it for a long time now. I quit counting rounds after about 2500 and it's been through a couple matches and shooting sessions since. Zero accuracy degradation and probably the best shooting rifle I own.

The one that surprised me is my 6 creed. Well over 2000 rounds on that rifle as well, and same results. I run a mild load (2980ish), but I have used it as a match gun before and frequently zip 10-12 rounds down the tube in a hurry.

What is funny is my buddy who is also my gunsmith absolutely hates Proof Barrels. He saw how well my guns were shooting and decided to try a few for himself and had nothing but issues. I guess I am just lucky, but all my Proof barreled rifles shoot lights out.

I sure hope I have a good experience with my 2nd one.....figured I may as well go with what is currently working I don't need it to do any more than what I currently have. What kind of issues did your buddy have?

What kind of issues did your buddy have?
    In my opinion...minor ones. He is a hell of a shooter and frequently wins a lot of the matches he enters. If he doesn't win, he is right in there.

He shoots 10 shot groups when doing load development, and does it at a fairly good clip. To him, the accuracy threshold he wants wasn't quite up to his expectations. He would be pissed off if he "dropped" a shot that was 3/4" moa out from the rest of his group at 200 yards. He said that would happen with the Proof barrels he tried. Nothing major in my opinion, he just has a little different set of expectations. It

I will add he is also the type of guy to shoot a brake instead of a suppressor during a match to take advantage of the reduced muzzle movement...at the expense of a headache and worn out eardrums. I am more of a "want to have fun" type guy.

I shoot quite a few rounds a year, whether it be in a match or just practicing. Probably well over 2500. All my proof barreled rifles seem to be doing just fine. My only concern with Proof these days is that I thought I had heard they got a .mil contract, or perhaps a contract with another large rifle maker? It always seems like when the volume goes up, quality control goes down. I do know from talking to my buddy that Proof was really good about sending him different barrels to try after he wasn't satisfied with his originals. Knowing you will have good CS in case you do get a lemon counts for something too.

Last edited:
    In my opinion...minor ones. He is a hell of a shooter and frequently wins a lot of the matches he enters. If he doesn't win, he is right in there.

He shoots 10 shot groups when doing load development, and does it at a fairly good clip. To him, the accuracy threshold he wants wasn't quite up to his expectations. He would be pissed off if he "dropped" a shot that was 3/4" moa out from the rest of his group at 200 yards. He said that would happen with the Proof barrels he tried. Nothing major in my opinion, he just has a little different set of expectations.
    Ha ok that made he bust out laughing....I wish I were that good. I don't expect, need or for that matter could extract that kind of performance out of ANY equipment on the planet.

Ha ok that made he bust out laughing....I
    Yeah, he is a little different than most. He lives out in the sticks, has some amazing machinery to build rifles, and can shoot whenever he wants. He only builds guns for friends and is most obsessive when doing it for himself.

I would be willing to bet your guns will shoot great.