• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof & Bartlein CF rimfire barrel experience

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2010
    Lewiston, ME
    I am thinking about getting a second barrel spun up for my V-22 360, I want something lighter than what I have now (just for the hell of it). So naturally I'm thinking about a Proof carbon fiber, Bart carbon fiber wrapped barrel.

I am looking for any real world experience y'all may have. It doesn't need to be with a Vudoo action by any means, any action of quality build is fine. I'm just interested in the barrels accuracy.

Thank you in advance - Jesse

I just ordered my second Vudoo and I specified a 20" carbon fiber barrel as I am also looking for a lighter "general purpose" rifle. I forget the name of the barrel manufacturer but it wasn't Proof.

EDIT: Just looked at the invoice and I'm getting a "Helix Carbon Fiber, Left, 20" Kukri, Threaded"

Last edited:
    I have the Bartlein on my Vudoo and I am very happy with it.

I am thinking about getting a second barrel spun up for my V-22 360, I want something lighter than what I have now (just for the hell of it). So naturally I'm thinking about a Proof carbon fiber, Bart carbon fiber wrapped barrel.

I am looking for any real world experience y'all may have. It doesn't need to be with a Vudoo action by any means, any action of quality build is fine. I'm just interested in the barrels accuracy.

Thank you in advance - Jesse
    Carbon fiber barrels are really good for two things. Reducing weight and accuracy. Not necessarily in that order!

I just ordered my second Vudoo and I specified a 20" carbon fiber barrel as I am also looking for a lighter "general purpose" rifle. I forget the name of the barrel manufacturer but it wasn't Proof.

EDIT: Just looked at the invoice and I'm getting a "Helix Carbon Fiber, Left, 20" Kukri, Threaded"

Damn those Helix's look pretty pricey! Excited to see how it turns out.

Hilarious, unfortunately that has been my thoughts on CF barrels. I am just hoping that I am wrong…
    Glad you enjoyed my reply. Never owned a CF barrel myself but have helped several friends build steel challenge guns on the 10/22 platform. They work great when you need speed and accuracy is not a priority. I might add that I have seen some CF barrels outshoot stock Ruger 10/22 barrels. That really doesn't say much for their accuracy!

Reactions: jbell
    Not all CF are created equal, mind you. I’d trust a Bartlein without question, less sure about Proof (particularly on rimfire), even less sure about Carbon Six but willing to be persuaded. And then at the bottom of the pile you have the gimmicky garbage like the carbon-sleeved Bergara B14R barrels, which aren’t remotely the same technology as Bartlein/Proof and are basically guaranteed to shoot worse than a factory steel barrel.

Bartlein's stated approach was that they only do the CF barrels if they could keep the same high level of quality as standard barrels. The result is that their CF barrels are heavier than others, but I have not heard of any problems with then My experience is only with a rimfire barrel, and I am not sure that translates to centerfire barrels, but my rimfire barrel is great. I did hear less than glowing comments from the Lapua test center about Proof CF barrels.

My Rim-X Bart CF 20" .22lr barrel has been wildly impressive with Center-X. Never tried a Proof CF barrel.

When I want to go light, I generally get a 3b contour instead of CF. But.. the carbon barrels look cool and therefor get purchased from time to time.

Not exactly what you are asking about, but I wanted to try a lighter weight Vudoo so I had them rebarrel my gen1 with a "ranch" profile barrel which is the lightest contour they offer. They told me at the time the weight was the same as a CF barrel of the same length, and its cheaper than CF. But maybe the "skinny" look is not for everybody? The 16" ranch barrel shoots as well for me as the 18" kukri it replaced.

Not exactly what you are asking about, but I wanted to try a lighter weight Vudoo so I had them rebarrel my gen1 with a "ranch" profile barrel which is the lightest contour they offer. They told me at the time the weight was the same as a CF barrel of the same length, and its cheaper than CF. But maybe the "skinny" look is not for everybody? The 16" ranch barrel shoots as well for me as the 18" kukri it replaced.
    Great info, I have been considering that as an option as well.

I have a Bergara BMR with a carbon bbl. It is very light. I bought it with hopes of making it a factory class ARA rifle but, after a few range sessions it is clearly not up to that task. I have shifted it to the squirrel hunter class. It will be good at that. Accuracy was just “Fair” with CX, Midas, SK and Eley. I am reminded of the comment by a Toyota engineer after close examination of a claimed Samurai Katana while at a gun show. “Would make good steak knife”. Good luck JB. I hope you result are better. Certainly Bartlein is a high grade option.

What's the carbon barrels proclivity for accuracy with a Silencer? Years ago, the extra weight messed up the tension and harmonics and resulted in horrible accuracy. Is that still the case?

I have an old VQ carbon fiber I need to retest on.

What's the carbon barrels proclivity for accuracy with a Silencer? Years ago, the extra weight messed up the tension and harmonics and resulted in horrible accuracy. Is that still the case?

I have an old VQ carbon fiber I need to retest on.
    I would say that is pretty much sorted out these days, at least based on how centerfire barrels perform with and without a suppressor. I had one of the very early "custom" carbon fiber wrapped barrels (ABS barrel) and it had to be re-wrapped for me due to this exact thing. The owner of the company I think Mike was his name told me that had several versions of their wrapping technique to address this. It worked great. Plus all the proof centerfire barrels are doing fine with the additional weight on the muzzle.

But maybe it's different with a rimfire barrel...

For me this is a non factor as I do not believe in threading a rimfire barrel. You may get away with it in a very stress free barrel, but I'm not convinced yet. So no cans for my rimfire. Plus I have some other theories on suppressors with rimfire that I think are not favorable for rimfire accuracy. But that's a different story for a different thread.

I would say that is pretty much sorted out these days, at least based on how centerfire barrels perform with and without a suppressor. I had one of the very early "custom" carbon fiber wrapped barrels (ABS barrel) and it had to be re-wrapped for me due to this exact thing. The owner of the company I think Mike was his name told me that had several versions of their wrapping technique to address this. It worked great. Plus all the proof centerfire barrels are doing fine with the additional weight on the muzzle.

But maybe it's different with a rimfire barrel...

yeah, i think it is different on the rimfire. i think the sleeves are thinner. but i also think the rimfires are more susceptible to pressures on the barrel at different distances along the barrel itself. its why the benchrest guys use barrel tuners on rimfires and you rarely see that on the centerfires.

@jbell:

Sometime in the past I posted the LPTC results on a Gen 2 Vudoo with a Proof CF barrel. One set of data is worth 10,000 unsubstantiated, qualitative statements.

I have a Gen 3 Vudoo with a Bart CF barrel as a backup to the Gen 2. At some point will send it to the LPTC for lot testing.

Although both the Gen 2 and Gen 3 have Kurki contour and 1:16 twist, the Proof is 18.0" and the Bart is 20.0" so will not be an apples-to-apples comparison with two variables, manufacturer and length.

And even with a quantitative sample size of 1 for each barrel any statistician worth his salt would be laughing his arse off at any conclusions.

Last edited:
    @jbell

I do not know if it is universally true but the Vudoo barrel is threaded as well as several carbon fiber barrels for centerfire rifles. I do not like muzzle brakes either and asked VGW if could supply a Proof CF barrel without one. The answer was no. Perhaps as a special order?

@jbell

I do not know if it is universally true but the Vudoo barrel is threaded as well as several carbon fiber barrels for centerfire rifles. I do not like muzzle brakes either and asked VGW if could supply a Proof CF barrel without one. The answer was no. Perhaps as a special order?
    Yeah the last one I had then build me was with a Benchmark and I had them just crown it without threading it.

@jbell

They probably couldn't do it as a Proof prefit, ya, but you could a) have them cut and recrown the prefit, or b) have them order a Proof blank and chamber/crown it themselves. Or if they went Bartlein, that'd probably come to them as a blank in the first place.