• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Carbon Barrels, PRS Shooting

Glen1978

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2012
Buena Vista, CO
Never had one of these.....do they make the rifle too lite of weight? Looking to build up a Tikka and do a shouldered prefit 6.5 PRC on it. Stocky Stocks has a Proof carbon 22" in stock in Sendero contour. Dont want it to get too light in the barrel. Just never owned one or shot a rifle with one. Need a little help. Will run a SAS Arbiter can/ TOMB brake mount off the front of it. In MDT ESS chassis with long forend / Atlas bipod so will add some weight back up there. Thanks

I shot a carbon barrel the first year I tried PRS. Rifle weighed about 12-13 pounds. It wasn't ideal but it worked to get a feel for positional shooting.

However, if you decide to get into PRS a little more serious than one match every year or so, you want steel. Simply because you'll be burning through barrels and if you're going carbon, you'll go broke fast! Plus the extra weight of steel barrels is definitely a benefit in this game.

Personally, I'd never run a CF barrel on a PRS rig. The light weight is of no benefit, and you may or may not (depending on who you ask) have issues with heat dissipation. There's also the cost of replacement when you can easily blow out a barrel a year.

Reactions: Steel head
The barrel you mention is too lightweight, too short, and too expensive for PRS use. The selected cartridge is also questionable for PRS use.

I'd recommend a 26" or 28" with MTU contour for PRS.

Your described build sounds like an awesome long range hunting platform.

The barrel you mention is too lightweight, too short, and too expensive for PRS use. The selected cartridge is also questionable for PRS use.

I'd recommend a 26" or 28" with MTU contour for PRS.

Your described build sounds like an awesome long range hunting platform.
Its PRS use will be limited as im 2.5 hrs to the nearest area that does that type of shooting. Will be more of a long range rifle to bang steel in the mountains and the wiley coyote when he shows himself. Just thought if I wanted to to try it, who knows if I will even like it. Price wise they are only about $2-300 more than what Im seeing for steel.

I think if I liked it Id build a Impact SA with prefit in 6 something caliber. Dont wont to limit myself with a 6mm right off the bat.

Its PRS use will be limited as im 2.5 hrs to the nearest area that does that type of shooting. Will be more of a long range rifle to bang steel in the mountains and the wiley coyote when he shows himself. Just thought if I wanted to to try it, who knows if I will even like it. Price wise they are only about $2-300 more than what Im seeing for steel.

I think if I liked it Id build a Impact SA with prefit in 6 something caliber. Dont wont to limit myself with a 6mm right off the bat.

Not sure where you're getting those prices but in my experience, a carbon barrel is usually double the cost of a steel barrel at minimum. Think my last carbon blank was $1200 and my least steel blank was $500 (Canada prices)

Stocky stocks Tikka prefit shouldered Proof carbon 22" Sendero contour $829.

LRI prefit steel in same is around $575

PVA prefit in steel is around $650

And the Proof at Stocky Stocks is in stock ready to ship. The steel ones are build to suit with of course lead time

6.5 PRC in a Proof Carbon would be awesome for a hunting rig as described. I run Proof on my 7mm hunting rifle and the PRC with 156s will keep up with it ballistically.

I would have no problem running a 6.5 cm proof barrel as a hunting rig, and do a PRS match or two. But, not a PRC, whether it is steel or carbon. First, it is too many rounds for that rifle's barrel life, and second the long strings would only shorten it more. Now, my 6mm xc is gonna be kinda close for barrel life, but that's why I run it.

I would get a steel barrel unless you have a reason to reduce the weight and keep it down.

That's just me.

6.5 PRC in a Proof Carbon would be awesome for a hunting rig as described. I run Proof on my 7mm hunting rifle and the PRC with 156s will keep up with it ballistically.

I would have no problem running a 6.5 cm proof barrel as a hunting rig, and do a PRS match or two. But, not a PRC, whether it is steel or carbon. First, it is too many rounds for that rifle's barrel life, and second the long strings would only shorten it more. Now, my 6mm xc is gonna be kinda close for barrel life, but that's why I run it.

I would get a steel barrel unless you have a reason to reduce the weight and keep it down.

That's just me.
Understandable. Ive never shot a match. EVER. Im not willing to build a rifle or pick a caliber purposely for that right now. I really have no use for a 6mm rifle outside of trying some comps.

I have a r700 243 with NSS barrel on it in a PDC chassis that was built for my son. He hasnt shown much interest in it so there it sets.

Id rather have a rifle that can bang long range steel and coyotes here in the mountains over a PRS only rig. Just wanted to get a feel for using them in comps.....how they effected balance.

Not sure where you're getting those prices but in my experience, a carbon barrel is usually double the cost of a steel barrel at minimum. Think my last carbon blank was $1200 and my least steel blank was $500 (Canada prices)
He is not Canadian. Me neither thank goodness. No offense intended.

Looks like you guys pay a 35% premium across the pond but I don’t now the conversion to pesos to say for sure.