• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Carbon Pre-fit

Doc Holiday13

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2008
LoCo, VA
I'm getting a hunting only lightweight rifle put together. I have the option for buying a pre chambered, pre-fit proof carbon wrap barrel for the same price as a carbon wrap blank.. Its been awhile since I've had a rifle built and pre-fits seem to have come in vogue since I had my last barrel cut. Or is having a trusted smith cutting the chamber for me the way to go?

Prefits work well and shoot well. A truly custom barrel would be cut to you action and in theory should shoot better. My prefits shoot as well as I can.

Prefits have worked well for me. Have a Proof Carbon in 22Creed that does the job netter than me. All depends on how anal you are on the dimensions of the chamber. A good trusted smith can do a better job and meet your custom needs if you have any,

Just make sure the chamber specs are exactly what you want. I've used a lot of prefits very successfully. Recently used a different company and had to take it to a local smith to increase free bore because I assumed a match length chamber as I was used to.