• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof carbon vs steel

Barnes168

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2023
Minnesota
Anyone have experience with both steel and carbon 6.5CM barrels from Proof?
Their carbon stops at 24” but steel goes out to 26- I’m interested in finding out velocity differences.
Load I anticipated throwing through it is:
Lapua SRP brass, 140ELDM on top of 6.5 StaBall. (Given for context)
This isn’t intended to be a reloading question, way too many variables to be able to predict what someone else got translating to what I’ll load.
Looking for any resources that have catalogued or compared the two types firing similar (preferably identical) loads to see how each performed.

In general you’ll get about 50ish FPS by adding 2” onto a barrel. My proof experience is with two stainless 26” 6.5 creed prefits. 2790 with 140 ELDM 42.1 H4350 Hornady LRP brass for the first and 2760 with 140ELDM 41.3 H4350 Peterson SRP brass and Hornady LRP brass for the second. My buddy has a 24” proof carbon prefit on his lone peak and I think he does 41.2ish grains of H4350 with 147ELDM lapua SRP brass and gets 2730. In theory, you’ll get a little more speed with staball

I’ve had both and they’re both excellent barrels. CF vs SS makes no difference as far as velocity, it’s the same 4 groove cut rifled core down under the CF wrap.

In general you’ll get about 50ish FPS by adding 2” onto a barrel. My proof experience is with two stainless 26” 6.5 creed prefits. 2790 with 140 ELDM 42.1 H4350 Hornady LRP brass for the first and 2760 with 140ELDM 41.3 H4350 Peterson SRP brass and Hornady LRP brass for the second. My buddy has a 24” proof carbon prefit on his lone peak and I think he does 41.2ish grains of H4350 with 147ELDM lapua SRP brass and gets 2730. In theory, you’ll get a little more speed with staball
Appreciate the insight.
If you shot out the first one do you have a round count before it had to be swapped? Your speeds are real similar to what hodgdon paper puts me at.

Appreciate the insight.
If you shot out the first one do you have a round count before it had to be swapped? Your speeds are real similar to what hodgdon paper puts me at.
I didn’t fully shoot out the first one, I was just up somewhere around 3k rounds and pulled it preemptively since I had the other already. I would expect with 6.5 creeds to get around 3k rounds depending how you treat it. I’m at 2k ish on the current one, so I’ll probably find out later this year

Do you need it to be light weight? If not then pass on the carbon fiber.

I have a proof steel 24" in 6.5cm and it's running 2840fps with 41.8gr of H4350 and 140gr eldm's.