• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Competition Contour Prefit - Balance Question

Secant

Minuteman
  • Aug 11, 2019
    Out West
    www.snipershide.com
    Quick question about balance for anyone out there with a similar setup:

Current configuration:
    Lone Peak Razor SS S/A
    Benchmark Medium Palma, SS, 26", chambered in 6.5CM
    MDT ACC (no weights)
    Atlas Gen 2 Tall CAL
    Thunderbeast 30P-1 Direct Thread Suppressor
    ZCO 4-20

Potential Configuration:
    Looking to swap the LPA for a Defiance Ruckus, the 30P-1 will get swapped for an Ultra-7, and I'm looking into a Proof Research Prefit SS Competition Contour Barrel chambered in 6 CM. Scope, chassis, bipod, will stay the same.

Current configuration balances well. Overall weight is okay (currently 17.5 pounds with empty mag). I'd actually prefer a little shorter and a little lighter. However, the Proof barrel is available now (I've planned poorly). The Proof CC should be about 2 pounds heavier, but swapping the suppressor will save about 0.5 pounds from the front, so about 1.5 pounds increase that is generally distributed across the barrel.

Question:
    For anyone out there with a similar set-up, where's your balance point? Do you find the CC makes the rifle front heavy, requiring rear weights?

Its going to be a bit front heavy but a lot of people like it a bit front heavy, 3" in front of the magwell or so... so theres that. I dont think it would require any weights unless you just want it to.

Reactions: Secant
    I have the same barrel in a rifle I'm building now in an XLR Envy Pro chassis. I have installed rear buttstock weight to compensate and only run barrel channel weights and it almost balances in front of the mag well as long as the scope is attached. Full mag and it balances better. Still front heavy but I prefer that... I think.

When I finish the rifle - the trigger and scope are out for warranty before I ever effing used them - I'll show a picture.

Reactions: Secant
    Proof Competition @ 26 or 28" balances a touch further forward than I'd like. I replaced my bag rider (ARC XYLO) with the steel one with a weight kit on it and the rifle balances just in front of the magazine well now.

Proof Competition contour is one of the beefier contours out there.

Reactions: ruger35 and Secant
    Ended up grabbing a proof CC barrel, and just got everything screwed together. Rifle is definitely front heavy, LOL. Even threw in a rear weight and swapped the 4-20 ZCO for a 5-27.