• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof of a primer test

Alan Griffith

Sergeant
Minuteman
6.5x47 Lapua
Pierce short action
26" SS #3 Broughton 5C
2lb Rifle Basix trigger
PTG bottom metal
Pierce 20 MOA pic rail
Farrell alum rings
NF 2.5-10-32
IMG_20101023_172009.jpg

140 Partition
41.6 Rel 17
CCI 450
seated .017" off lands

After first running a ladder, then some verification groups, then a few more to narrow down the powder charge in .2 gr increments, I shot a seating depth test this past Saturday. I thought I was done since the CCI 450 is "THE" primer in my big Surgeon pushing the 130 VLD and H4350; .49 MOA, 10-shots.

At the last moment, I decided, for the heck of it to run a primer test with what I had laying around the house. GLAD I DID!
IMG_20110309_170238.jpg

Note: I changed zero after the Rem 7-1/2 primer.

Alan

Re: Proof of a primer test

And the other issue is that some primers are hotter than others. So each primer has a different accuracy node. You might have worked up to what you thought was the accuracy node, but using a cooler primer, you backed into the accuracy node.

Still... some data is better than no data. I would probably stick with that lot of Federal based on that data... As a matter of a fact, it has me thinking about doing a primer test of my own... I just hate experimenting with primers because of the haz mat fees.

Re: Proof of a primer test

It looks like he changed zeros after the first group (just guessing). Normally Remington 7 1/2 is pretty hot. I would be surprised to see them group really low.