• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof prefits for Stiller

Slowshot18

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2018
Houston, TX
Anyone tried the new prefits that Proof is offering for Stiller actions? Curious to know if the tolerances on the Stiller actions are consistently maintained enough to where the shouldered prefits are likely to not have head spacing issues. I’ve used a prefit for my bighorn origin and it worked great, but now I would like to swap the barrel in my Stiller with a proof prefit.

I plan on ordering one if I can find someone selling them I’ve got 3 of their prefits for impacts they have been awesome.

was happy to see they added Stiller option

Reactions: Slowshot18
If Stiller didn’t hold their headspace tight enough for pre-fits, Proof wouldn’t make pre-fits for them.
That was my thoughts but just curious why it took so long for someone to advertise prefits for stillers since they’ve been around for sometime. I know they aren’t the new popular kid on the block but there are plenty of people that own them.

If Stiller didn’t hold their headspace tight enough for pre-fits, Proof wouldn’t make pre-fits for them.

I have 2 Stiller predators Short Action one I purchased very soon after they started making them, the other was purchased 2-3 years later. I love the actions they have given me no trouble and have shot through maybe 9 barrels total, no idea as to round count but well over 10k split over the two.

The headspace on the two actions I have is about 0.006" difference, I have never felt comfortable swapping barrels between the actions unless the barrels made a trip to the lathe first. It could have been an issue with early production and was straightened out, they had the ability to hold the tolerances tight enough to do it and I was surprised when I first time I grabbed a shot out barrel out of the stack in the corner for fire forming Dasher brass.

Just my experience,
wade

I have 2 Stiller predators Short Action one I purchased very soon after they started making them, the other was purchased 2-3 years later. I love the actions they have given me no trouble and have shot through maybe 9 barrels total, no idea as to round count but well over 10k split over the two.

The headspace on the two actions I have is about 0.006" difference, I have never felt comfortable swapping barrels between the actions unless the barrels made a trip to the lathe first. It could have been an issue with early production and was straightened out, they had the ability to hold the tolerances tight enough to do it and I was surprised when I first time I grabbed a shot out barrel out of the stack in the corner for fire forming Dasher brass.

Just my experience,
wade
What the difference between saami min and saami max?

What is the serial number range for the two actions? .006 seems like alot of difference.

Do you happen to compare the numbers from the tennon print and your actual actions to see if on the short or long side.

A few days after I started this thread I decided to call Proof and Stiller directly. Both Proof and Stiller said that there should not be any issues. The gentlemen I spoke with at Stiller was rather defensive when I presented him with some rumors that I heard from various sources that they had questionable tolerances from actions to actions. He then reassured me that the reason the military had the large contact with them was due in part to their repeatability. He also stated that as long as I was using the correct recoil lug that came with the gun, I would not have any issues.

Based upon the feedback I received from Stiller and Proof, I put in an order for a 28 Nosler pre-fit that should arrive sometime in Feb/March. I will test the headspace out with Go/No-Go gauges prior to introducing live ammo.

Reactions: Elite_KG
Yea i thinking of taking advantage of the mil discount with proof for a 6 creed barrel. When they start taking orders again.

Reactions: Phil G
A few days after I started this thread I decided to call Proof and Stiller directly. Both Proof and Stiller said that there should not be any issues. The gentlemen I spoke with at Stiller was rather defensive when I presented him with some rumors that I heard from various sources that they had questionable tolerances from actions to actions. He then reassured me that the reason the military had the large contact with them was due in part to their repeatability. He also stated that as long as I was using the correct recoil lug that came with the gun, I would not have any issues.

Based upon the feedback I received from Stiller and Proof, I put in an order for a 28 Nosler pre-fit that should arrive sometime in Feb/March. I will test the headspace out with Go/No-Go gauges prior to introducing live ammo.
Did you order from proof direct?

I ordered from Paul Butler with Evolved Ballistics. I’ve purchased a prefit for my bighorn from him and he had phenomenal pricing. He did warn me when I ordered that the wait could be up to 6 months as proof is backed up. Give Paul a shout for a quote and lead time.

Dale told me .187 for the proof cut, but ill make sure verify that with him.

* I am out of luck, mine is a Aug 31, 2017 action date, so I guess ill be going with a remage setup

Last edited:
Dale told me .187 for the proof cut, but ill make sure verify that with him.

* I am out of luck, mine is a Aug 31, 2017 action date, so I guess ill be going with a remage setup

The sample they provided to us was 0.250 and the dimensions they confirmed are based off a 0.250

Since we cut the prefits to order anyway we can still make you a prefit but I would need to know that you're using a 0.187
Or you can swap in a 0.250 and you're golden.

The receiver dimensions are the same, it's just a recoil lug thickness.

solid then I will keep that in mind I am trying to burn this 6 creed barrel out as fast as I can so I can get back to "Master Race 260rem"

They stopped making stiller profits. I would just get a remage and a .187 or .150 lug. Or send it to DST or PVA