• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Research 10/22 Barrel

billmeek

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2019
Middle TN
Well... after several months of waiting I finally received my Proof Research 10/22 Carbon Fiber 16.1 inch barrel a couple of days ago and installed it today. The most aggravating thing is that given the high cost of the barrel, Proof doesn't provide a thread protector with it. Nor can they (currently) point you to an online vendor that can supply one that matches their odd thread length of .476 inches. I used a .450 stainless thread protector that I purchased from FJ Feddersen and had to add a couple of rubber washers to it.

Proof10-22_2.jpg

Mounting the barrel required freezing the barrel and heating the receiver. It was still a very tight fit. Even with the anti-seize that I added, I suspect that this barrel won't be coming out of the Kidd receiver any time soon... if ever.

Proof10-22_1.jpg

So the main question I'm sure everyone has is, "How does it shoot?" From the initial tests, I'd say great. Except that I had some very strange cold bore shots. I'll need to do a lot of testing to see exactly what's going on. To give you an example, I had one 100 yard cold bore drop about 5 inches below the rest of the group. That's very odd out of this rifle. Today had some wind that made it a bit difficult to get a good idea of the 10/22's new potential at range. For a short time the wind died down to a few MPH with little gusts and I was able to shoot this 10-round group at 100 yards with SK Rifle Match:

Proof10-22_3.jpg

1.43 MOA at 100 yards is not too shabby. With no wind (or possibly in the hands of someone that can read the wind better than I), it's very likely that this rifle is now 1 MOA capable to 100 yards. I need to get out and spend some more time shooting it to investigate the cold bore issue and to really stretch the range out.

Last edited:
Very nice. Been waiting for you to post about this barrel.

Do you think it’s more accurate than your kidd barrel in that receiver?

Sorry, I don't have a Kidd barrel. I do have two different Fedderson barrels (both in Kidd slip-fit receivers) that are very accurate and set a pretty high bar for the Proof to beat. If you ignore the 1 (or 2) cold bore shots, yes I'm confident the Proof groups better than the Feddersen barrels at 100 yards. I really need to find out whats going on with the cold bore and try some other ammo out of the Proof. So far the only thing I've used is the SK Rifle Match which is my current go-to ammo. I'll test some other ammo such as the Wolf Match Target, Center-X, SK Long Range Match, Lapua Polar Biathlon, etc. I may even go pickup a couple of boxes of Tenex and Xact although I don't plan on shooting them regularly. While the rifle could be accurate enough to justify the expense, I'm certainly not... especially when shooting anything other than prone or bench.

Totally understand.

Why the weird thread length?

Aren’t most 10/22 threaded barrels around 0.40” long or whatever the length is for the SiCo sparrow?

I talked to one of the sales guys at at Proof and he asked engineering. They used the length for a SilencerCo suppressor thread.

Hmmmm.... maybe SICo updated the specs.

They were 1/2x28 with a 0.400” length. I will go look on their site to see if they updated it.

The Proof barrel shoots very well... except for a first round cold bore drop averaging 2/10ths of MIL. If I were to purchase a Proof 10/22 barrel again, I'd likely try the steel Proof barrel over a carbon fiber. But for the money, I'd pick a Feddersen since they are neck-and-neck accurate with the Proof.

Reactions: Frankr
The Proof barrel shoots very well... except for a first round cold bore drop averaging 2/10ths of MIL. If I were to purchase a Proof 10/22 barrel again, I'd likely try the steel Proof barrel over a carbon fiber. But for the money, I'd pick a Feddersen since they are neck-and-neck accurate with the Proof.
Remind me, so you have a Kidd barrel also?

No Kidd barrels. Proof Research, Green Mountain, Ruger, a few Feddersen and the Bergara on the BXR002. Going to order a Bartlein soon too. Just deciding on what I want.

No Kidd barrels. Proof Research, Green Mountain, Ruger, a few Feddersen and the Bergara on the BXR002. Going to order a Bartlein soon too. Just deciding on what I want.

Gotcha. Is the BXR002 still at Bergara?

I see proof is advertising their 455/457 barrels but I don’t know if they are worth the 600.00. Especially 200 over Lilja or others.