• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Research barrels for an AI-AT? What's the skinny?

ReaperDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby!
    I'm shopping around for a 6 creed barrel for my AT. I came across a PR stainless barrel for a decent price and wanted to check on opinions before I buy. I know Proof has a good rep, but are they all that for accuracy or over hyped. I'm currently shooting a Bartlein Gradous chambered barrel in .260 and it's a .25" hammer all day long, so the bar is high. I've got a JP 6 CM upper coming for the gas gun and thought it would make sense to also have a 6CM to shoot in the bolt gun since I have all the components.

Thanks in advance for any first hand knowledge.

My AT has a Proof CF 260 barrel. I don't think i'm a .25 shooter all day long, but I can do it once in a while and the barrel has shot more than one group that size. No complaints and plan to buy either one in 6cm or 65cm to replace it when its done.

PR is gtg. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and 300 norma (AXMC) both shoot lights out. Proof tends to cut chambers on the shorter side of SAAMI for most of their prefit barrels, an fyi for reloading.

Last edited:
    You'll probably end up with two sets of brass. Two different headspace/ sizing die settings. Everytime I think I'm gaining an efficiency with something like this, I don't.

But to your question. The Proof barrels are good.
    Yep, understood about that. I'm doing that dance now currently with the .260 AT and a .260 JP Upper. I keep dedicated boxes of Lapua brass labeled and separate for each. One efficiency I did find was that you can actually use the same sizing die. I've got a redding competition set with a body die and I have the Redding competition shell holder set as well. So simply by changing the shell holder, I can get the headspace perfect for each chamber. They are only .002 difference apart with surprisingly the gas gun being the tighter of the two. So not as much adjustment and changing setups as you would think. My biggest hassle is making sure I don't mix them in the wet media tumbler after shooting.

My AT has a Proof CF 260 barrel. I don't think i'm a .25 shooter all day long, but I can do it once in a while and the barrel has shot more than one group that size. No complaints and plan to buy either one in 6cm or 65cm to replace it when its done.

Haha, I probably should have added.... "When I do my part". Which is not all the time for sure.

PR is gtg. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and 300 norma (AXMC) both shoot lights out. Proof tends to cut chambers on the shorter side of SAAMI for most of their prefit barrels, an fyi for reloading.

Shorter? As in Headspace or in throat length?

Proof are good barrels. I’ve had great luck with my 6 creedmoor.

I just got my Proof barrel from Milehigh just last week and it shoots amazing right out of the box with factory ammo. I had a few boxes of factory Match ammo on hand (109 Berger and 108 ELD-M Hornady). So I gave it a quick test fire to get some data on speeds and headspacing before I started reloading. With factory, its shooting right at 1/2 MOA or slightly less. I'm pretty sure I can do better with reloads.

I'm very happy with it. I might have to pick up a 2nd barrel as a spare, because I have a feeling I'll be shooting this one a lot.

I’m shooting a mild load of 38.2 grains of H4350 and a 115 DTAC. Starline brass and Winchester LRP. 2880-2900 FPS. 9 sd. Very accurate easy shooting load. This was shot today I have over 1200 rounds on the barrel. I was jumping the bullets .085”.
    5AEE15F3-7BD5-453D-8968-94ED83289B19.png

Reactions: ReaperDriver