• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Research carbon barrels, just got mine!

DMS1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2011
Fenton, Mi
I am new here, and just wanted to thank the folks at proofresearch and scott (RANGER1183) for the great service. I have been lurking and learning for a while, and called the new company. I ordered a 20" .223 barrel in standard varmint contour. I have been looking for perfect example of a walking coyote rifle for years that can punch paper at longer ranges. I ordered the barrel first around August 5th and recieved the barrel on the 25th. It looks great, and is out being chambered and set up to replace the POS on my 223 VTR (also pictured). I just wanted to say, after reading about some of the stories about the former ABS and wait times, I was extremely pleased with the service and communication.

855faaaa.jpg

73a8414f.jpg

Re: Proof Research carbon barrels, just got mine!

Thanks for the help with the pic. I was bumbling with it....

Who makes the liners? Are they button or cut rifled?

I think I remember reading that they use Rock and Satern, but that may be old info.

The barrel was pricey at $900, but this is something I have wanted to do for years. The liners end up as liners but start as full barrels, since the pc on the end at the muzzle is the same diameter as what you want the barrel to finish at. The flange is part of the native barrel. The materail is removed between there and the chamber. The barrel I got was Satern and was in stock, so that helped the timing. They are match grade wtih cut rifling (not button). I want to get everything back together and see what it weighs and how it shoots.

On a side note, i bought a HS precision 096 (same as 5r takeoff) in black with grey web and I'm not totally sold on it. I don't think I like the palm swell. I am considering switching to a B&C A1 medalist in the olive/black web. Plus the medalist is a little lighter.

Regarding barrels, we use Satern and Rock primarily. McGowen is a new name to me that I have <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000"> NOT </span></span></span> heard of before regarding our barrels.

How soon until this gets fitted? I'm really interested to see how it shoots!

i have had or owned 7 of there barrels. they shoot lights out. i just finished my 338 lapua and planning on starting my load workup today.

got the official text in. No, we have not used McGowen barrels, nor do we now. Thanks for asking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regarding barrels, we use Satern and Rock primarily. McGowen is a new name to me that I have <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 14pt">NOT</span></span></span></span> heard of before regarding our barrels. </div></div>

McGowen has been around since the 50's and still going strong.

broughton is another. I have one in 338 and my smith has 4-5 other abs wrapped broughtons for other builds in his shop now.

Got it together. Had the lugs lapped and the face of the action squared up also. Weighs just over 9lbs as shown. The new barrel weighs 2.25lb, the VTR POS weighed 3.25 (with the slabbed sides, so over say an SPS tac barrel, larger difference in weight savings). I want to change the stock to save more weight so when I add a dbm I will still be around 9. Had to sand a little in the barrel chanel, but shes ready to go. Should have time to break in and print a couple groups tomorrow after morning goose hunt

43081c95.jpg

Why not cut to the chase with a lesser contour in a lesser stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do they make 10/22 barrels? cant find their websight </div></div>

There are already several companies that make 10-22 barrels that start at $100, but proofresearch.com is the site and they can help you out. I did not see any rimfire references there...

I have tried sporters, ruger ultralight 20", regular varmint barrels, even the remington VTR etc over the years and prefer the profile of the varmint, but do not like the weight of it for a carrying rifle. This is supposed to be the best of both worlds, lighter weight for carrying, stiffness and accuracy of the varmint profile. I'll let you know what I think after 400-500 rounds and several dead critters.

I'd be curious to hear your dissatisfactions of a highend modest contoured barrel upon any of those receivers,wrapped within a great stock?

I've every contour there is from sub #1's to straight bulls,if only for conversation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voracious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd be curious to hear your dissatisfactions of a highend modest contoured barrel upon any of those receivers,wrapped within a great stock?

</div></div>
Having owned several high end sporter contour barreled rifles, I prefer to have a rifle that shoots well at the range. Some of the lighter contours don't stay consistent as they heat up. The good carbon wrapped barrels take care of that issue without adding all the weight.

What were the specifics of the disappointing rifle(s)? Barrel,chambering,stock,optics platform,optics and load particulars? I can differentiate between Safe Queens,Range Queens and Utility Rifles that actually see use.

I really interested in these barrels ? any one know if GA has worked with them yet ? how long has proof been making then for ?

ABS no longer makes any ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMG50CAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really interested in these barrels ? any one know if GA has worked with them yet ? how long has proof been making then for ?

ABS no longer makes any ? </div></div>

This is the former ABS company, with new management from Jense Precision. Search proofresearch.com and you'll see the details. Not sure if GA or anyone else is using them for builds, but to order 1 and have it in 3 weeks seemed impressive service.

Got a chance to do some shooting today. Did the break in as recommended, just cause I had the time. Shot about 70 rounds. Tried blackhills 52gr mhp and 69gr mhp and some 75 grain steel match. These all grouped right around 1" with the old vtr barrel. Best I could do today was around 1" also. Was expecting a lot more, but I think it was me. I really hate the hs stock I can't find a great way to hold the palm swell. I think it was just me, I used the pods prone off a mat, no rear bag. Expecting better things next time out. I had some 5 shot groups where 3 were touching, then the other 2 wandered to the right about an inch so the potential is there. Must be some operator error involved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voracious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What were the specifics of the disappointing rifle(s)? Barrel,chambering,stock,optics platform,optics and load particulars? I can differentiate between Safe Queens,Range Queens and Utility Rifles that actually see use. </div></div>
I'm not going to respond to your query. Take your drivel elsewhere rather than clogging up useful threads.