• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Research Carbon Fiber Barrels

egarabedian

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2010
Fresno, CA
In process of building a 6.5 Creedmoor on a Mausingfield action. I'm curious if anyone has experience with Proof Research carbon fiber barrels. I'm not going to lie...I have a healthy obsession with carbon fiber stuff. I've heard they're slightly lighter than a steel barrel but not sure about any other benefits that come from them. If any of you have experience either way it would be good to know.

I'm told that Bartlein and Pac-Nor barrels are good too. I don't have a lot of experience with this so any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

I've also posted some questions about triggers for this rifle here...if you've got input on that as well that would be great. Thanks!

Lots of info if you google it. “Proof Snipers Hide”

But yes. Lights out. As good as they get for accuracy. Excellent choice

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Go proof if a CF barrel fits the application, my new favorite barrel maker!

Put a 26" Proof CF on my Mausingfield with Ted's BarLoc system, works great so far. Haven't shot for groups, but no problem ringing steel at 1000. I went with a CG Extreme two stage. It's adjustable, with a smooth, wide face to the trigger. I'm a bit undecided on it right now, I actually prefer some texture on the trigger face.

They buggered up the muzzle brake thread on my prefit AX. If they can screw up something as simple as that I don't see why to trust them with anything else.

Reactions: Steamboat00
They buggered up the muzzle brake thread on my prefit AX. If they can screw up something as simple as that I don't see why to trust them with anything else.
That seems to be a sweeping conclusion from that experience alone. There was a thread in the suppressor section a few weeks ago about GAP screwing up muzzle threads on a barrel that ended up causing a baffle strike when using a suppressor. Would that mean GAP doesn't do quality work based on that?

That seems to be a sweeping conclusion from that experience alone. There was a thread in the suppressor section a few weeks ago about GAP screwing up muzzle threads on a barrel that ended up causing a baffle strike when using a suppressor. Would that mean GAP doesn't do quality work based on that?
If it were mine it would mean that to me, yes. At the price point the threads should be correct.

Reactions: deersniper
I just finished a build with a Proof barrel - a 28" Sendero contour on a 28 Nosler. It is my first CF barrel, so my sample size is very small, but here are my initial impressions (up until now I have only ever used Bartlein and Krieger).

Cosmetically: The Proof is downright gorgeous. I am with you on carbon fiber; it just has a unique and awesome look, and the Proof is particularly well executed in this regard.

Accuracy: The Proof seems to be comparable to my Bartleins and Kriegers chambered by the same smith. Half MOA consistently, showing signs of even better. Only a sample size of one barrel though. I have had 10+ Bartleins/Kriegers all shoot lights out, so I am more confident when describing the accuracy of those barrels based on consistent, repeated performance.

Weight: It is not as light as you might think. It is definitely lighter than a steel barrel of the same contour, but the weight savings are not game changing to me. I saved about half a pound over a light palma steel barrel.

Finish: The biggest difference I have noticed between the Proof and my Bartleins/Kriegers was the level of carbon fouling. I don't know if that is attributable to the level of finish lapping, but I can say that all else being equal (powder, primer, projectile), the Proof fouls more and faster than my other barrels. Since mine is a hunting rifle that will never see extended strings, this isn't a big problem for me. The Proof also took way longer to break in than my other barrels (by break in, I mean the point at which copper fouling becomes negligible). I have seen Bartleins stop copper fouling in as few as three shots. I was still running multiple KG12 patches to clean copper out of the Proof at 60 rounds.

Price: Come on. We are talking about carbon fiber. You know what you are getting into.

All in all, I am happy with the Proof. It makes for an especially gorgeous rifle when paired with a carbon fiber Manners EH-1. For high volume target rifles, I will probably stick to steel barrels with cost being a main driver.

If it were mine it would mean that to me, yes. At the price point the threads should be correct.

In a perfect world, yes, but humans do this work and humans make mistakes. If they own up to it, fix the problem and make it right, that's all you can ask.

These companies produce a shit ton of product and a few bad apples make it out the door. You don't completely write off a company based on that, or soon you'll have written off them all.

Just finished a build with a Proof CF in 308 for a mid-weight hunting gun that I could still take out on the weekend and shoot matches with. Going with a CF barrel was my only option to keep it lighter weight but still able to handle some strings of fire. I've gotta say I've been very, very pleased with mine! With that said, there's no way I'd spend the extra money if weight wasn't a concern on this particular gun. I haven't noticed any other benefits of carbon fiber other then weight. I shoot it just as I do my steel barrel and it doesn't seem to act different, but I generally don't put more than a mag through any barrel without letting it cool afterwards.

I didn't know you could cerakote them either, but when I saw one cerakoted I had to black out the chrome!

200 yard 5 shot group - factory Gold Medal Match.

IMG_4588.jpg

9.5lbs as pictured and the only sacrifice I made for weight was going with a lighter scope. Otherwise it's got everything I normally wouldn't put on a hunting gun (stock choice, full pic rail, precision rings, and muzzle brake).

IMG_4724.jpg

In a perfect world, yes, but humans do this work and humans make mistakes. If they own up to it, fix the problem and make it right, that's all you can ask.

These companies produce a shit ton of product and a few bad apples make it out the door. You don't completely write off a company based on that, or soon you'll have written off them all.
I ask people who make a living selling high end products at a high price point, to check their shit before they send it out. There is no reason I should have to fix their mistakes, I already paid for it to be right.

Last edited:
I ask people who make a living selling high end products at a high price point, to check their shot before they send it out. There is no reason I should have to fix their mistakes, I already paid for it to be right.

Good luck in your quest for a company that has never made a mistake.

Back on topic, my Proof CF shoots pretty great. Chambered in 260 AI. Proof is top notch shit.

Reactions: Jeffd
I have only had two Proof CF barrels. One was 11.5" AR 5.56 and the other an 18" AR 5.56. Have not had much trigger time with the short one. Both were finished to the highest degree. Really so nice that I would just look at them and examine with bore scope.
The 18" barrel is the fastest 18" AR 5.56 I have ever chronographed. Accuracy is well under MOA to 500 M.
My last range trip left me a bit concerned as I noticed it seemed to walk a little as it warmed up. Impact holes touched but made a descending line that opened the group to 1.25 for 10 shots. This was with the suppressor so could have been mirage. Need to further test that. The barrel is significantly lighter that the Mk 12 contour barrels I have been using. I think 12 OZ.

Really good info. Thank you to all who replied!

Are there any differences in the Sendero vs Sendero Light other than weight?
Also, what barrel length is more popular...24" or 26"?

I just finished a build with a Proof barrel - a 28" Sendero contour on a 28 Nosler. It is my first CF barrel, so my sample size is very small, but here are my initial impressions (up until now I have only ever used Bartlein and Krieger).

Cosmetically: The Proof is downright gorgeous. I am with you on carbon fiber; it just has a unique and awesome look, and the Proof is particularly well executed in this regard.

Accuracy: The Proof seems to be comparable to my Bartleins and Kriegers chambered by the same smith. Half MOA consistently, showing signs of even better. Only a sample size of one barrel though. I have had 10+ Bartleins/Kriegers all shoot lights out, so I am more confident when describing the accuracy of those barrels based on consistent, repeated performance.

Weight: It is not as light as you might think. It is definitely lighter than a steel barrel of the same contour, but the weight savings are not game changing to me. I saved about half a pound over a light palma steel barrel.

Finish: The biggest difference I have noticed between the Proof and my Bartleins/Kriegers was the level of carbon fouling. I don't know if that is attributable to the level of finish lapping, but I can say that all else being equal (powder, primer, projectile), the Proof fouls more and faster than my other barrels. Since mine is a hunting rifle that will never see extended strings, this isn't a big problem for me. The Proof also took way longer to break in than my other barrels (by break in, I mean the point at which copper fouling becomes negligible). I have seen Bartleins stop copper fouling in as few as three shots. I was still running multiple KG12 patches to clean copper out of the Proof at 60 rounds.

Price: Come on. We are talking about carbon fiber. You know what you are getting into.

All in all, I am happy with the Proof. It makes for an especially gorgeous rifle when paired with a carbon fiber Manners EH-1. For high volume target rifles, I will probably stick to steel barrels with cost being a main driver.

I agree on the cosmetic side. I love the look of carbon fiber. Like an asshole I even went out and bought a carbon fiber staple gun...at least I use it a lot.
IMG_0449.jpg

I ask people who make a living selling high end products at a high price point, to check their shot before they send it out. There is no reason I should have to fix their mistakes, I already paid for it to be right.

So they made a mistake and they refused to fix it and you had to pay to get it repaired? Do I have that right Don?

Reactions: diverdon
So they made a mistake and they refused to fix it and you had to pay to get it repaired? Do I have that right Don?

I'm sorry if I gave that impression. I was able to borrow a die from by brother and shave a bit of metal off the threads that were malformed and subsequently installed the MB. I did not contact them with the complaint. I did not spend any money to fix the problem, but the time to fix it did cost me a range day. Their chance to make the threads properly was before the $940+ barrel left the factory. It is not that hard to single point perfect threads on a CNC lathe.

I don't have enough rounds down the barrel to say how it shoots just yet.

Last edited:

I don't recall "completly writing them off" The OP ask about the barrel and I told him truthfully that mine had a problem with the thread for the muzzle brake.

When did it come about that inquiries for info on a product could only be answered if all you had was praise for the product?

I don't recall "completly writing them off" The OP ask about the barrel and I told him truthfully that mine had a problem with the thread for the muzzle brake.

When did it come about that inquiries for info on a product could only be answered if all you had was praise for the product?

You stated that if they could mess up something as simple as barrel threads, why trust them with anything else? Any logical person would interpret that as "I will never purchase anything else from them". You then backed this statement up when asked about GAP making a mistake that it means they dont do quality work and no one would agree with that.

Reactions: Jeffd and Bradu
You stated that if they could mess up something as simple as barrel threads, why trust them with anything else? Any logical person would interpret that as "I will never purchase anything else from them". You then backed this statement up when asked about GAP making a mistake that it means they dont do quality work and no one would agree with that.
Ya all feel free to go ahead and worship their mystical unobtainum, for me the next precision barrel I need will be either a prefit from PVA or a Bartlien. In either case in sure the threads will be correct and the price will be less.

My experience with Proof carbon barrels has been really positive. I bought the rifle with a really heavy barrel on it, and it dropped 3 lbs when I switched to the proof barrel. I've got a 26" sandero contour carbon barrel on it currently, and it seem to like the Prime 6.5creedmoor ammo. I think this is a pretty good group for factory ammo. I would choose proof again without regret.
IMG_0786.jpg
IMG_0836.jpg

My experience with Proof carbon barrels has been really positive. I bought the rifle with a really heavy barrel on it, and it dropped 3 lbs when I switched to the proof barrel. I've got a 26" sandero contour carbon barrel on it currently, and it seem to like the Prime 6.5creedmoor ammo. I think this is a pretty good group for factory ammo. I would choose proof again without regret. View attachment 6907206View attachment 6907207

Whats the stuff on the top of the hand guard for?

Mirage band - keeps heat off the barrel out of the optical image.

I have several proof barrels. I was skeptical. I am no longer even remotely skeptical.

The only thing I am concerned about is cost per shot - one of my guns required a smith to fit the barrel so it has like $1300 in the barrel install...

For a gun with a 2500-3000 round barrel life, it costs me .50 to shoot that proof barrel each round.

Mirage band - keeps heat off the barrel out of the optical image.

I have several proof barrels. I was skeptical. I am no longer even remotely skeptical.

The only thing I am concerned about is cost per shot - one of my guns required a smith to fit the barrel so it has like $1300 in the barrel install...

For a gun with a 2500-3000 round barrel life, it costs me .50 to shoot that proof barrel each round.
Add your ammo price... $2.00 a pop?

nodody that spends 800$ for a barrel is gonna admit to being unhappy with it. That just goes against the law of man kind. or should i say Men kind. LOL Ill stick with 300$ bartleins and kriegers, or Brux

nodody that spends 800$ for a barrel is gonna admit to being unhappy with it. That just goes against the law of man kind. or should i say Men kind. LOL Ill stick with 300$ bartleins and kriegers, or Brux

They are better than any Bartlein or Krieger I have owned but only you as an individual can decide whether the advantages are worth the $$

This is just grip tape as a mirage shield. I took the top rail off the hand guard since I never use it and used some 2" wide grip tape to clear the optical path a bit and give the hand guard a bit of texture. Also, it looks nice.

I don't think that's necessarily true. I know a guy who bought a Hensoldt 3.5-26 and decided that he wasn't happy with it. Then he sold it right here on the opticsPX. He didn't try to pass off that he actually liked it just because of the price. Also, the Proof barrel that I have on order at Short Action Customs currently will be a bit more than $800. Do you do your own smith work out of curiosity?

Ahem, well they will not say that they are unhappy unless they want several people putting words in their mouth and being unhappy that anyone dare impune their sacred cow.

Not trying to be a jerk on my barrel costing numbers - they are as legit as i can make them.

I think i will be at 48 cents a round for barrel cost - i had to have the barrel chambered by a smith and threaded which costs money. i can’t exactly tell until it’s shot out.

The prefit proof barrels are a bit of a bargain that way. Well chambered and threaded for an extra $50-100 over just a bolt gun blank.

This gun is a 6.5 GAP 4S. So the barrel life is OK but not 6.5 CM or 308 good.

Additionally - these barrels shoot Don. They just do. That said i have a factory t3x ctr barrel that is a .25 shooter most groups as well, so i don’t really think proof is magical. Just easily performs with my Bartlein barrels and a good bit lighter.

Ahem, well they will not say that they are unhappy unless they want several people putting words in their mouth and being unhappy that anyone dare impune their sacred cow.

Reactions: diverdon
I have been toying w a Proof. Has anyone shot or hunted w it in sub 0 temps? I know some hunts take place in temps around -30.

Want to say thanks to everyone who posted. I ended up ordering a 26" Sendero Proof carbon fiber barrel and it should be here next week. Got a great deal on it compared to what other dealers were selling it for. Goes to the smith as soon as it arrives.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in and gave their input. I really appreciate it.

Reactions: Bender
Want to say thanks to everyone who posted. I ended up ordering a 26" Sendero Proof carbon fiber barrel and it should be here next week. Got a great deal on it compared to what other dealers were selling it for. Goes to the smith as soon as it arrives.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in and gave their input. I really appreciate it.

Where and how much ;)

Core Shooting solutions out of Florida. It was 729 and they had a good selection of lengths. Compared to the other Proof Research dealers they were the cheapest (with maybe one other company at the same price but didn't have the length I wanted).

Proof posts their dealers on their barrel page (at the bottom here: https://www.proofresearch.com/the-products/barrels/bolt-action-cf-barrels/) so I just clicked everyone and checked inventory / prices.

To be honest, and from what I've heard about the demand for these barrels, I fully expected an email back from Core saying "oh sorry, it's actually not in stock even though it says in stock on the website"...but I didn't get any of that (huge pet peeve of mine). Ended up talking to their staff and they are extremely knowledgable and quick to answer the phone and reply to email.

Reactions: Bender
I have a question for the guys with a Proof CF barrel. If your barrel was threaded for a brake, how much of the front metal was turned down? The reason I ask is I'm still considering a Proof barrel but want to thread it 3/4"X 24 TPI. The front of the Proof barrel has a turned down section .625" (5/8") that's 1" long. the section behind it is .800" long by .900" or .919" diameter depending on final barrel length. If I were to thread it for 3/4" X 24, that would leave a very thin ledge even if I use less than 3/4" length, such as 5/8" (.625").

I have a question for the guys with a Proof CF barrel. If your barrel was threaded for a brake, how much of the front metal was turned down? The reason I ask is I'm still considering a Proof barrel but want to thread it 3/4"X 24 TPI. The front of the Proof barrel has a turned down section .625" (5/8") that's 1" long. the section behind it is .800" long by .900" or .919" diameter depending on final barrel length. If I were to thread it for 3/4" X 24, that would leave a very thin ledge even if I use less than 3/4" length, such as 5/8" (.625").

You're best bet is to call PROOF and tell them what you want to do. I think their advice will be a lot more accurate than what you will get here...none of us know how their barrels are built as well as they do.

I have 3/4-24 threads on a 28" Sendero. No issues.

Surgeon, How long is the threaded portion of the tip?

Thanks Surgeon! That chart helps a lot. A general rule for threading is the length should be the same diameter. I was afraid the final tip would be too small and I was going to cut it between .600-.625. Since the tip length is .800", I think I will use .625".