• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Research factory spun pre-fits

hot loads B==D - - -
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
Houston, TX
I was looking at the Proof steel Savage factory pre-fits in 6.5 CM. Any input on them or am I better off getting them spun up by a reputable shop? I guess I'm asking about accuracy.

Reputable?

They cut rifle their barrels in house and wrap them in Carbon fiber, with generally very good results. Adding a savage thread and chamber to the end is child’s play in their normal scope of work, I’d say. I think you can rest easy on their prefits.

Reactions: Steel head
Reputable?

They cut rifle their barrels in house and wrap them in Carbon fiber, with generally very good results. Adding a savage thread and chamber to the end is child’s play in their normal scope of work, I’d say. I think you can rest easy on their prefits.
This!

Reputable?

Where does it say that their barrels are cut rifled?

Reputable?

Meant getting a steel Proof blank spun by a reputable shop versus having one already chambered from their factory.

That’s not what I read in subes post.
I read they are cutting the outside profile to accommodate the carbon fiber.

Just called and asked and the lady said all there barrels are cut rifled carbon and steel FYI

Reactions: 021411
FYI Proof has recently announced that they are doing shouldered prefit barrels for the Bighorn actions.

I've yet to see them listed anywhere though.

Reactions: lawofsavage
Meant getting a steel Proof blank spun by a reputable shop versus having one already chambered from their factory.

I know what you meant, the way you worded your question stuck me funny. One stop shopping with them will probably lead to good results.

I bought one in 6.5 Creedmoor from midway in order to finish a rifle a week before a shooting class. Threw some handloads together to test and pretty much every one of those groups was under 1/2 MOA. So I took the highest charge made 300 of em’ shot them out to 1000 yards then killed 2 deer with it during hunting season.

Now that I have received the correct barrel for that rifle it is currently awaiting being sent to get rechambered in 6.5 PRC for a hunting rifle build.

So in a roundabout long winded way what I’m saying is that it had exceptional accuracy and I would absolutely buy another PROOF prefit.

They’ve told me so directly, but you can find it in various places on their site. I just googled it, and apparently they can button rifle as well.

Couldn't find it online but I did call and confirm