• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Research Latitude, finally got around to putting a few rounds down range.

AmmoFort

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2023
Montana
@BravoSector1 messaged me asking after this rifle I picked up for my wife. Been pretty busy so I hadn't done anything more than get the Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56 mounted. <<<That scope is hard as hell for me to get behind BTW. Didn't notice it much when I was comparing it to my Trijicon Tenmile, but I sure did today. So he put the bug in my ear and I decided to break it out of the safe and see what it would do. Kinda lack luster results. Could be a bajillion reasons why, and I'm sure some of y'all will point them out to me :LOL:, but I have a few excuses ready. LOL.
tempImageG0Emeu.png

Shot a hundred rounds of Wolf Match Extra at 100 yards. I was under the impression that the Match Extra was a step up in quality from the Wolf Match. But after today I really wonder if it isn't loaded a little hotter. I did not get my fancy new Garmin chrono out and I'm kinda wishing I had. Next time.

First target, first 10 rounds down the tube. About 2.5 MOA. When I mounted the scope originally I bore sighted it at about 50 yards.
tempImageKZmjZp.png

tempImageWT3Exd.png

Last target, last 10 rounds. About 2 MOA.
tempImage3sWSuX.png

tempImageQO9bUU.png

Now it's time for conditions and then excuses. Right around 32 degrees, it kept trying to snow. About 3900' elevation.

First excuse. I might not be as decent of a shot as I think I am.

Second. I was shooting on a slope off the tailgate of my side by side. I tried to get behind a Bog tripod that I bought a while back and I don't know if tripods just aren't for me or what, but that was terrible.

Third. There was a fair amount of wind that kept blowing the targets around. Though when I look at the targets it really doesn't look like it affected the outcome much, if at all.

Fourth. Looks like some of my issue was vertical stringing. I would not really have thought it until I went and grabbed my deadair mask after about 50 rounds. Once I threw the suppressor on I could hear that not very many of the shots were staying subsonic. And even in the shots that went supersonic I could hear a difference in them. So I figured I must be getting some hellacious inconsistency in velocity.

Fifth. I know I had some other B.S. I wanted to throw out here, but I can't think of it right now.

So I'm really hoping the Lapua Center-X I have on backorder does the trick. Proof told me that should be my go to. Everything I read about the Wolf made it seem like it should be decent. So maybe it was me. Maybe it was the rifle. Maybe it was the ammo. Or a combination thereof. I'm really hoping it was just the ammo! Oh and I didn't do anything special for barrel break in, right or wrong. I just shot the thing. Didn't do any, shooting, then cleaning, then shooting, or any of that. I figure at some point I'll develop a procedure, but I don't think there is a point to it just yet.

One last note, the rounds that stayed nice and quiet in their little subsonic flight seemed to go POA to POI. But again, I could just be wishing shit into reality. Lot of money for these kind of results, but I'm holding out hope that the rifle will redeem itself with the Center-X.

I've pulled some decent shots out of my ass a few times here and there in the past, but I've never shot over 400 yards. And I've never considered myself a PRS type guy. I love to shoot, but have a lot to learn. It almost pains me to show these targets for fear of making the rifle look bad, but you'll make your own decisions on that.

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback on the rifle, conditions, and shooter input. I asked @AmmoFort what he thought of the rifle. I'm after a "one and done" bolt action .22LR. The Vudoo, RIM-X and this Latitude are on the list. Again, thanks for getting out there and if weather holds break that thing out for turkey day!

Reactions: AmmoFort
Thank you for the feedback on the rifle, conditions, and shooter input. I asked @AmmoFort what he thought of the rifle. I'm after a "one and done" bolt action .22LR. The Vudoo, RIM-X and this Latitude are on the list. Again, thanks for getting out there and if weather holds break that thing out for turkey day!
I'm relieved that I am not the only one looking for a "do it all" .22. I think that I'm finally there (maybe).

Vudoo LH 3-60 with a Helix6 20" carbon fiber barrel in a Mesa Precision Carbon Altitude stock with a cheek riser and a full length ARCA rail. Razer Gen III in a GrayOps scope mount on a 60MOA rail. I usually run the the MDT Cyke-Pod Double Throw Bipod and the Send-It electronic level on the GrayOps 90 degree mount. Trigger is a Trigger Tech Diamond single stage.

I can also mount the Vortex I-4000 weapon mounted ballistic LRF, the Garmin Xera Chrono and an old YHM Mite suppressor.

I feed it Lapua Center-X until sometime next month (only 900 rounds of that lot left) when I will switch to the Lapua Performance Center lot tested Midas+.

I shoot it out to 500 yards every other month at North Texas Rimfire League and also shoot it bullseye and F-Class.

@BravoSector1 messaged me asking after this rifle I picked up for my wife. Been pretty busy so I hadn't done anything more than get the Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56 mounted. <<<That scope is hard as hell for me to get behind BTW. Didn't notice it much when I was comparing it to my Trijicon Tenmile, but I sure did today. So he put the bug in my ear and I decided to break it out of the safe and see what it would do. Kinda lack luster results. Could be a bajillion reasons why, and I'm sure some of y'all will point them out to me :LOL:, but I have a few excuses ready. LOL.
I'm curious to see your thoughts on that scope.......I've always been a ZCO guy and I have 3 of them but bought a Zeiss s3 6x36 and really liked the scope enough to buy another.....I have to get used to the reticle going from the IMPCT3x but its also a steal at $1865 shipped = compared to the ZCO's. I think it's pretty impressive so far.

Just recently gave up on the Center-X I had backordered. Went ahead and ordered some in stock X-Act. About $0.30cpr vs. $0.60cpr. Never thought I'd be waiting damn near a year on backordered .22lr, that's nuts.

Something is a miss, a quality build like that should group half that with the cheapest of bulk pack plinking ammo. Is the scope securely mounted and the reticle plumb. Check torque settings on scope base and rings and action screws. My next step after that would be a call to Proof Research to discuss your findings...they might want it back.

Something is a miss, a quality build like that should group half that with the cheapest of bulk pack plinking ammo. Is the scope securely mounted and the reticle plumb. Check torque settings on scope base and rings and action screws. My next step after that would be a call to Proof Research to discuss your findings...they might want it back.
Well his groups are roughly 2moa. You will most definitely not get 1 moa 10 shot groups with the cheapest bulk ammo available….. He just needs to try some ammo first.

Well his groups are roughly 2moa. You will most definitely not get 1 moa 10 shot groups with the cheapest bulk ammo available….. He just needs to try some ammo first.
Read it too quickly, thought it was 50yd groups. Agreed some lot testing is in order.