• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof research prefits

These were two groups I shot with a Proof CF prefit in 6.5 PRC. This is representative of how the rifle shoots when I do my part with good handloads. Also shot a crow with it at a touch over 300 so I’d say it’s pretty accurate.

Attachments

• 79AF3D94-9E32-47E7-BAAB-696E13F9F78B.png
    79AF3D94-9E32-47E7-BAAB-696E13F9F78B.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 484
  • 622EE510-F8C9-451C-946D-9991D108E16C.png
    622EE510-F8C9-451C-946D-9991D108E16C.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 512
  • 03795B87-9064-4834-9459-A9DDE7179AF6.jpeg
    03795B87-9064-4834-9459-A9DDE7179AF6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 455
Reactions: 4350muncher
Tiny groups from my proof prefits. Both steel and carbon fiber.

I've got 2 AI prefits and don't see myself buying any other barrels. Great quality and price

I have a plain stainless proof on my Origin 6mm Dasher. It's a 26" competition contour. The machine work looked great and it shoots great so far. I'm still fire forming, but it's already put down 1/3 minute 5 round groups at 100 yards. Any shot that I miss is definitely my fault and not the barrels.

Reactions: kstraughen
Pretty damn good over several barrels from my Impact actions.

For those who don’t know they’re on expertcity but not sure which affiliation I have gave me access, if you’re on some pro deals may be worth the look.

Pretty damn good over several barrels from my Impact actions.

For those who don’t know they’re on expertcity but not sure which affiliation I have gave me access, if you’re on some pro deals may be worth the look.
Expertcity/Expertvoice if you've got the time to wait - been close to 17 weeks now that I've been waiting for mine , usual is supposed to be 9-12, and I understand about COVID19 but I'm sure getting antsy just about now.

I bought a combo deal from stockysstocks, proof carbon and stock for a discount if bought together. I should have it back this coming week. I’ll update with results.

dang im at 8 weeks i thought it would be soon
I'll post again once it ships. I got everything else sitting here, just waiting for that dang barrel so I can get it shipped off to get the muzzle and chamber portion cerakoted matte black, and then assemble that bad boy. Never thought I'd ever be waiting that long for a consumable only; an action maybe, a custom smith built rifle for sure, but a barrel.... Every time I go to the PROOF facebook site I see new stuff posted they just put out, or built and it puts a damper on trying to wait with good cheer.

Expertcity/Expertvoice if you've got the time to wait - been close to 17 weeks now that I've been waiting for mine , usual is supposed to be 9-12, and I understand about COVID19 but I'm sure getting antsy just about now.
That’s a bummer! Something to be aware of going the expert voice route.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Just got one in today for my impact. If it shoots good, a chambered barrel shipped to the house is a deal for less than $500

I put a 280 ai prefit on a bighorn action. It shoots everything I put through it very well. It is my favorite barrel right now.

300NM and 6.5CM AXMC steel prefits and a Tikka 6.5PRC carbon prefit here. All under .3, the Tikka even smaller.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
Which do you have more of money or time?

I have a few of the Proof prefits, they all shoot. The wait at EV is long. Just have to order and forget about it. Kind of like a Form 4 app.
Normally I'd agree to the more time than money axiom but we are approaching the 1/4 year mark for a consumable. I was fully prepared for 12 to even 15 weeks, considering the COVID 19 delay but when you wait longer for the barrel than the action it starts to irk. I know they usually are great barrels but at this wait time now it had better be a flawless tack driver.

nice view where is that?? 6.5prc for a crow? hahahahha

Central PA on a buddies farm, he was planning on shooting some crows with his .17 HMR but we spooked them when we pulled up back the barn to meet him. I had the rifle in the truck so when they landed out at 300 he told me to take a crack at them since I always like to shoot far.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
Anyone else have a Proof time up a little off? The logo is about a 1/4 turn off. The bolt closed on a go gauge and didn’t Close on a no go.

Attachments

• 537D1C78-065A-4236-8DF4-49BF46E4884E.jpeg
    537D1C78-065A-4236-8DF4-49BF46E4884E.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 181
I have two Criterion 6mm Creed's and one 22 Creed, all shoot excellent. All through Northland Shooters Supply, call them up to order, sometimes they have barrels in stock and I have found James to be extremely helpful with trending twist rates and throat depths for different cartridges and bullets. I was referred to them when I first started this long range stuff and knew absolutely nothing, they took the time to talk to me without being condescending, which these days, goes a long way. Made a loyal customer.

What tools do you need to tighten the barrel to the action?
Action wrench specific to your action, torque wrench in the range of 55 - 100 ft/lbs or thereabouts, appropriate socket, barrel vise and some rosin and two pieces of suede leather to prevent marring the barrel finish, Go/No-Go gauges to double check the timing, also some anti-seize for the threads; I prefer the Nickel based Permatex because it is specifically designed to prevent galling in stainless steel at high temp and does not have the possibility of creating false positives during maintenance cleaning as can be the case with the copper based.

Can you use a barrel vice on the carbon fiber or do you have to install with the 60lb flats wrench? I've got an AI AE MKIII and would like to get one but my torque is 100ft/lb and I think I need a barrel vice. Not 60 ft/lb with the flats wrench.

Clamp it in the vise on the chamber portion and use the leather pieces and rosin to ensure it is tight and yet won't mar the finish. Works like a charm.

If you've never done it here is a great YouTube video from Straight Jacket Armory on how to do it:

Reactions: Jimichanga
interesting video, thanks. Looking at the barrel vice, it does not look like there is room for leather? What is the rosin for? (mentioned in post 35)

interesting video, thanks. Looking at the barrel vice, it does not look like there is room for leather? What is the rosin for? (mentioned in post 35)
The rosin powder is to prevent slipping when you apply the torque.

Empty toilet paper roll can be used instead of rosin
It can, but I prefer the leather and rosin method, works better for me and I keep re-using the same leather pieces for years. After buying a Carbon fiber barrel, and a $1,250 action I can still afford a $5 piece of leather and some rosin powder, but I can see the point if one is totally broke now LOL.

Last edited:
Anyone else have a Proof time up a little off? The logo is about a 1/4 turn off. The bolt closed on a go gauge and didn’t Close on a no go.

Won't make a difference for mine, the chamber and muzzle portion are getting cerakoted matte black regardless.

Didn't take pictures when I did mine, and won't take one apart just to show it because the new barrel isn't here yet, not even shipped but I found this posted on PROOF Facebook site just for illustration.

Now this one is all steel though so it wasn't important to them to clamp the vise on the chamber portion as you will want to do with a carbon fiber.

Expertcity ain't great. Long lead times. High shipping cost. Handling fee? Transaction fee? And usually a small savings under actual retail once it's all said and done. I generally find I'd rather not wait 4 months for a $30 to $80 savings. Wait for Optics Planet to offer a discount code and it's pretty close to the same price.
Usually not a fan of Optics Planet, got burnt by by them on a purchase a good while ago, but with current wait time which is still open ended and no firm ship by date I might consider them next time.