• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Research Stainless Barrel Performance

staticTango

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
I’m pretty new to PRS and am considering buying a proof research stainless 6GT prefit for my Defiance Ruckus action. Does anyone have experience with their accuracy / thermal drift / performance? I currently use a Bartlein chambered by GAP and get .1-.2 mil drift(.1 after 5-10 rounds fired).

Is there any real advantage to getting GAP to do another prefit barrel, or save $$ and get a proof prefit?

I’m on my second 6.5 creed one for a bighorn. Never noticed any thermal shift (proof comp contour), but never checked for it super scientifically. I didn’t spend a ton of time doing load dev, but my first one was about a 3/4 MOA barrel on average and the current one is about 1/2 MOA on average. I’ve been pretty happy with them for $500.

Reactions: YASSER
I have a Proof 6GT and 6.5CM prefits for Defiance actions, neither show signs of drift.

Proof prefits are excellent quality. You won't be disadvantaged in any way vs any other prefit.

As far as your concern over "thermal drift", what you attribute to "thermal drift" I suspect is just normal shot dispersion. A thin profile/contour barrel will definitely heat up faster than a heavier barrel, and shot groups will open up once a barrel gets hot, but I doubt there is any appreciable change in group size over a 10 shot string in your 6GT.

Reactions: YASSER
The way I see it is that with a proof prefit you have a very good chance at a good shooting barrel, some are better than others, but they are all good.. With a Bart chambered by a great smith, you have a near 100% chance at an excellent shooting barrel. That's been my experience as well as some friends.

It's worth mentioning that if you get a bad one, Proof stands behind them. You have replaced poorly shooting ones in the past.
Yeah that is worth mentioning. Proof will replace a barrel that doesn't shoot and I don't think I've ever even heard of them denying a claim for that reason actually.

Both of my proof comp contour barrels have been very good. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another

My last 6GT barrel was a Bartlein and just a few days ago had my new 6GT barrel spun up on a Proof 1-7 Comp contour. I had 70 rounds of my old load leftover so I took the new Proof out the next morning just so I could start to get rounds down it. All I did to the barrel before shooting the old loads was to run a dry patch down it to make sure there wasn’t any cutting fluid or anything in the barrel. Here’s a pic of the first 20 rounds shot out of it.

The shot to the right of the group is the very first shot out of the brand new barrel with the magnetospeed attached.
EE0AA11D-BDE0-4E3E-8C4C-B9A745B87BDC.jpeg
98BE9550-40F2-40E4-BA83-7853F507AB44.jpeg
76E8D9E2-B007-4283-8DBD-58E6DCBC1D5C.jpeg

This is my first Proof steel barrel but I’ve had several Proof Carbon barrels and they all shot .25 or better with good reloads.

I have 26” Proof steel and carbon barrels chambered in 7SAW. They both shoot 0.25s and are within 20fps of each other with the same hand load.

Last edited:
Got a comp contour 6.5CM prefit on a TL3 that will shoot .5 consistantly with hand loads. Shoots between .5 and .75 with Hornady or Norma factory match ammo. I plan on picking up a few more in the near future.

My buddy has had 3 their comp contour 6 dasher ruckus prefits, they all hammer. Ran in strictly match settings, hes gotten around 2200-2500 rounds before random flyers started showing. So now he just pulls them at 2200 rounds and has a fresh broken in prefit ready to roll.