• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof shouldered Prefit not straight in barrel channel.

Browerka

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2017
Virginia
So I bought a Proof TL3 prefit for my Origin action. I also bought the HLR lug.
I have 3 other Shoulder Prefits for the Origin action, that run perfectly down the barrel channel of the stock.

I’ve measure the HLR lug and it is square. It’s a difference of .070” of gap between left and right side.
To me something seems unsquared, to be honest it doesn’t shoot that great.

Has anyone experienced the same issue?

385CB317-71E2-496A-98AD-88AAFFB4C007.jpeg
232473C7-0FF8-42B7-B976-FE8545576B4E.jpeg

Cross threaded? Unlikely.
Take it all apart and measure the distance from the chamber to the treads with a caliper in multiple directions. Should all be the same. Maybe placement of action in stock ... inspect and re-torque. I highly doubt it's a bad barrel. Eliminate all of the user controlled inputs first. I have the same recoil lug but have not used it yet so I am interested in the outcome.

I have taken the BA of of my Manners and put it in my MPA same outcome. The only thing I haven’t done is measure from the shoulder to the breech.

It’s not cross threaded.

If you try the Origin lug is it still off? And curious why you are putting a TL3 barrel on it...was it bought new?

I had a similar problem and it was the lug. Try a different lug and see what happens.

Will do!
Did it mess with your group size at all?

If the original Origin lug trues the barrel up then double check the HLR lug again with calipers. Don't forgot to check the pins! Since you said the HLR lug was square before, I'm betting one of the pins in the lug is long.

Reactions: Browerka
If that's the case and you can't get a response let us know, and at that point your only option might be to sell the TL3 prefit to someone for whom it can work and buy an Origin prefit designed for your action. However a manufacturer who doesn't stand behind their product and doesn't respond to questions, or isn't helpful won't get any of my business but before you make that judgement call at least give them a chance to help, or make it right and contact them first.

If that's the case and you can't get a response let us know, and at that point your only option might be to sell the TL3 prefit to someone for whom it can work and buy an Origin prefit designed for your action. However a manufacturer who doesn't stand behind their product and doesn't respond to questions, or isn't helpful won't get any of my business but before you make that judgement call at least give them a chance to help, or make it right and contact them first.
I’m not hear to bash companies. I had a bad experience that is now resolved, after several months.

The the gun works. I’m just a little OCD and didn’t know if this was common when using a HLR recoil lug.

I have thought about selling it and buying a true Origin Prefit.

I’m not hear to bash companies. I had a bad experience that is now resolved, after several months.

The the gun works. I’m just a little OCD and didn’t know if this was common when using a HLR recoil lug.

I have thought about selling it and buying a true Origin Prefit.
Sure had me fooled as far as the resolved is concerned, sounded like you liked neither the cosmetics of it, nor were you completely satisfied with the accuracy results and you shouldn't have to settle, a product should work and provide results as advertised.

If you contact them first there is no bashing involved, give them a chance to make it right, that's the fair approach, if they flat out refuse, or ignore you than that's not bashing just a report of the facts and something others should know so they can make informed decisions on where to spend their hard earned coin.

I don't enjoy hearing story's about tempests in a water glass, and I'll always give credit where it's due for great customer service, but if someone provides lousy customer service and their product is not up to standard then I for one also want to know, life's too short to have to have to chase around to get what you paid for, or to have to cajole someone into doing the right thing.

Reactions: Baron23
Sure had me fooled as far as the resolved is concerned, sounded like you liked neither the cosmetics of it, nor were you completely satisfied with the accuracy results and you shouldn't have to settle, a product should work and provide results as advertised.

If you contact them first there is no bashing involved, give them a chance to make it right, that's the fair approach, if they flat out refuse, or ignore you than that's not bashing just a report of the facts and something others should know so they can make informed decisions on where to spend their hard earned coin.

I don't enjoy hearing story's about tempests in a water glass, and I'll always give credit where it's due for great customer service, but if someone provides lousy customer service and their product is not up to standard then I for one also want to know, life's too short to have to have to chase around to get what you paid for, or to have to cajole someone into doing the right thing.
So the issue was when I ordered a HLR recoil lug from Ryan it was on backorder. Of course the charge my card, all fine. I email him to get a lead time, I was told 3 weeks. Five weeks later I call. Was told I can have an a lug in the raw with no pin for full price, I declined the offer. Mean while I find on on the hide and buy that one. I Email Ryan 3 times and asked to cancel the order (crickets....) after three months I get a refund.

I’m not blaming any in particular company. I was simply asking if anybody with the same parts that I have were seeing the same alignment issue.

While I think it's unlikely, check that the junction between the breech shoulder and the recoil lug has no gaps. It is also possible that the barrel bore is not concentric with the OD. Look at the muzzle and see if the bore is concentric to the OD. If you measure it with calipers, be careful not to damage the crown. Best to use a pin/plug gauge in the bore, then measure from the pin/plug gauge.

Reactions: Browerka
I don't want to completely hijack the OP's thread. I hope the issue is resolved for him. I will say, in defense of Hunt's Longe Range, I have had very good luck using the telephone. I have called several times and gotten Ryan every time but one.

The one time I emailed him with a question he asked me to call him, so we could talk through it. He has always been professional, polite, and offered to rectify any small nitpicky problems. Based on my experience, I would guess that he prefers to discuss things on the phone rather than through email. I know that doesn't necessarily sit well in this day in age, but I personally prefer phone to email.

I will also say that I have had 2 6 Dasher barrels chambered by HLR. They both shoot lights out. Under 3/8 moa with just about every load I've run through them.

So I removed the barrel and flipped the Lug over and pushed the pin through to the other side. Reinstalled and torqued and placed back in the stock. The barrel still aligns to the left side of the stock.

Don’t see any gaps between the action and lug or the barrel shoulder and lug. But since the barrel still favors the left side of the barrel channel after I flipped the lug, issue doesn’t appear to be the lug.

Reactions: drwood96
So I removed the barrel and flipped the Lug over and pushed the pin through to the other side. Reinstalled and torqued and placed back in the stock. The barrel still aligns to the left side of the stock.

Don’t see any gaps between the action and lug or the barrel shoulder and lug. But since the barrel still favors the left side of the barrel channel after I flipped the lug, issue doesn’t appear to be the lug.
Did you ever get this resolved?