• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Proof ss bbl blanks

aljones_315

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2018
New Mexico
maybe a silly question but ill ask ot just the same i know proof is famous for their carbon fiber bbls.
but i recently discovered that they offer a decent discount to mil le and veterans . woo hoo right... what id like to know is are their ss bbls and perticularly their ss blanks good to go? vs say shilen match select which i have had very good luck with. or bartlien or kreiger? im just looking for a little feed back from guys who have shot them and or smiths who have cut them vs a few of the other popular bbls before i dive off on them and buy a handfull for the next years match rifle?
thanks for any insight

All the proofs you see in the top polls are the stainless barrels, you will be pleased with them just like you would be with any of those barrels in th elist
1582839051338.png

Reactions: aljones_315
Brux barrel just set the world record for a 5 shot group at 1000. Think it was just a touch over 1"

Reactions: BCX
I'd take proof over Shilen any day. I've been told their pre-fits are great.

Do you have to boy direct through proof to get their military discount or is it through one of the retailers?

Do you have to boy direct through proof to get their military discount or is it through one of the retailers?
You will need to buy direct because you probably get dealer cost.

Proof barrels, both stainless and c as carbon wrapped have only recently become popular in the yast year or two. I have buddies that have been running them since before the fanboi craze. They're great barrels, both. I would definitely get another one.

Reactions: BCX
I’ve ran a few select match barrels and one match, all pre fits.
Really for the money they’re an excellent value.
All have shot really well but if your wanting absolutely amazing machine work they will leave you wanting but again they shoot realy well.
I’d love to try a Shilen blank machined by someone like LRI or Keystone someday but blank cost is enough it would be difficult to not just pony up to a cut rifled blank.

The proof SS barrels have an excellent reputation.
I’’d get one of those with confidence just like a brux, Krieger or bartlien.

My first cut rifled barrel is a Brux, machine work is amazing and it shoots amazing as well.

Reactions: Millron
I have bore scoped new Proof CF and the machine work is beautiful.

I’ve never worked on any of their SS blanks, but I’d suggest asking when the blank you are looking to buy was mfg’ed.

Ive turned a few OLDER (2016-ish) Proof carbon wrapped barrels between centers and some were fine, others had OD/ID discrepancies that were significant.

Reactions: shakemandril