• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Stainless Ammo

RC556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
Louisiana
I looked around but only found ads, so here we are. With a .308 Proof stainless blank getting cut to 16” currently I was curious if anyone had a similar barrel that could shed light onto what ammo I should try. Planning to only hunt varmints and deer so I was thinking:
Hornady Eld-X
Federal Terminal Ascent
Barnes TTSX

what else should I get a box of to try?

Its a premium barrel, it shouldn't care much, but you’ll have to test yourself. Try those. If you're happy with the performance, stop there and go kill stuff.

Reactions: RC556
I'll second above. Good barrels seem to shoot sub-minute with "good" ammunition in most cases. Sometimes they may hate a particular bullet, but that is less common.

My 20” Proof Carbon 308 shoots mostly Federal Fusion 150gr for those same uses. Best groups I’ve seen at 100 were .65moa which I am more than happy with for box ammo. I’ll try some 168’s and 178’s this offseason and settle on the best of the two for my elk hunt in the fall.