• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof stainless barrel weight

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Local dealer has some in stock, 26" and a tad over 7lbs!!!! sheeeesh!

Im wanting a 16" 308, anyone cut one down? Im curious to how much weight would come off with 10" since its so thick.

Does that take into account that most of the mass of the barrel is in the first 5" from the receiver?

Math is based on straight wall
    estimate only
    ymmv

also, will depend what end of the barrel you’re chopping off 😂

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: 6brshooter
    I've got a proof ai barrel that I had chopped to 20". They shoot damn good, as good as my barts, or atleast my 1 example does. I wish they offered some other contours than the comp contour. The ai contour is pretty linear as it is the original contour, not the new style

I've got a proof ai barrel that I had chopped to 20". They shoot damn good, as good as my barts, or atleast my 1 example does. I wish they offered some other contours than the comp contour. The ai contour is pretty linear as it is the original contour, not the new style

By the time I bought the barrel and paid someone to cut it down and re-thread it I would only be $170 away from the carbon fiber barrel so I’m just going to use their carbon barrel

Not a complete comparison but is probably within 4 oz.

Steel 18.5"
    1000004638.png

CF 16"

1000004637.png

By the time I bought the barrel and paid someone to cut it down and re-thread it I would only be $170 away from the carbon fiber barrel so I’m just going to use their carbon barrel
    Yeah, I bought mine on here new for 425 and had my local Smith cut, crown, and thread it for 75.00