• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Stainless Steel Barrels (Not CF!)

j3fff

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2018
I’m getting a quote on what should be a fairly affordable barreled action.

My choices for in-stock barrel blanks are Shilen (match grade) and Proof, both stainless.

I’m getting quotes for both barrels and have read the large amount of info on the Shilen barrels that is online, but there isn’t much info on the non carbon fiber proof SS barrels.

Most of the info seems to be positive with the negative info coming from people who are commenting related to the CF ones not realizing that the OP is talking about the pure SS ones, but I wanted to see if you guys had more thoughts on how they perform.

My guess is it will come in ~$100 more for the proof and they are cut rifled, so I may just go with it by default but wanted to check.....

FYI this will be for a 6.5cm hunting rifle (22”, 1:8 twist, w/ a #3 contour)

Last year there were a few across the course shooters (man and a woman), who were slaughtering the field with proof stainless barrels. Can’t remember their names. Google should give you the info.

The proof stainless barrel I purchased cost exactly the same as the shilen select match barrels I purchased in the past. Brownells and Stocky’s has the stainless in stock.

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
Proof stainless barrels flat out hammer. I've got several friends shooting them and they've been extremely happy. I know that at least two of the top ten ranked PRS shooters are running proof stainless barrels.

I would find it unlikely that Proof uses different barrels between SS and CF.
My CF barrels, (2) are both the fastest ones in .223 I have ever tested. Accurate as well.

isn't it the same barrel as the carbon? just without the carbon?

I had a friend take one off, because it was slow @Redeye3

Yes, but I’m kind of disregarding them in comparison to the full SS proofs due to the sheer amount of extra processing that go into making the CF versions.

Proof stainless barrels flat out hammer. I've got several friends shooting them and they've been extremely happy. I know that at least two of the top ten ranked PRS shooters are running proof stainless barrels.
Last year there were a few across the course shooters (man and a woman), who were slaughtering the field with proof stainless barrels. Can’t remember their names. Google should give you the info.

The proof stainless barrel I purchased cost exactly the same as the shilen select match barrels I purchased in the past. Brownells and Stocky’s has the stainless in stock.

Fantastic news, I will was leaning proof anyway and if the deal is good enough as a package for the barreled action it looks like it will be a no brainer

Reactions: Sheldon N
My proof SS 6.5CM barrel is nothing short of magical. I haven’t tried all the bullets and powders on the market but the ones I have tried produce amazing groups in my opinion. It was spun up by ES Tactical.
02BBEBEF-D3B6-4C53-9683-D772B775DBB3.jpeg
7821007A-3B1F-45EA-8B69-EEF7036C9956.jpeg
445F5813-248E-4A0F-AC26-9A98270931AA.jpeg
67D5297B-9457-4202-882C-02FD9B5E8D67.jpeg

Reactions: tree man
I have both a Shillen Select and a Proof SS. The Proof easily outshoots the Shillen. I also have a couple Bartliens and a Krieger. The Proof is every bit as good.

I've switched to using Proof barrels on every rifle I have built now. I have #6 being built now, they all shoot amazing, CF and SS.

I have both a Shillen Select and a Proof SS. The Proof easily outshoots the Shillen. I also have a couple Bartliens and a Krieger. The Proof is every bit as good.
My favorite barrel so far is Proof. My current Proof barrel if the most accurate barrel I've had
My proof SS 6.5CM barrel is nothing short of magical. I haven’t tried all the bullets and powders on the market but the ones I have tried produce amazing groups in my opinion. It was spun up by ES Tactical.

You guys are making this too easy! Thanks.