• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

proper barrel break in procedures

Csolson987

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2011
monroe, washington
Is there a post already on this site about the proper barrel break in procedures? If not could anybody give me the basics. Im breaking in a new Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308 winchester.

Re: proper barrel break in procedures

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Look at it this way... At least you didn't join The Hide a few years ago when some of the long-time members would have left you curled up in the forum fetal position whimpering for Mommy for asking that question!!!

Been there... Done that
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>
Ahh... Memories.
wink.gif

Thanks for all the wonderful help! Not really just kidding. I learned how to break in the barrel today, so thanks anyways!

I know some guys who wouldn't dare start off a new barrel without breaking it in. I also know some guys who laugh at the very thought. Suffice it to say there is a split in opinions on the subject.

You can go <span style="color: #FF6666">HERE</span> to find a download of GAP's suggested break-in procedure. You'll find something similar at the site of most barrel manufacturers. Whether you follow these suggestions is a matter of personal choice. You might as well argue politics and religion as to argue what that choice ought to be.

OK, initially I was never concerned about breaking in a barrel because I never owned a "New" rifle. I always bought used ones because they were always less expensive. I figured one of the former owners may or may not have done it. Then I read Gale McMillan's information on it. You know... THE Gale McMillan of McMillan Brothers... Anyway, look it up, read it and fully understand what he's saying. It appears the whole idea of including break-in instructions with a new barrel was just MADE UP by a barrel maker in the interest of selling more barrels. There was no researched or scientific or metallurgical reason for it. Now, whether or not it's a good idea is what the debate is all about. Some will do it, some won't. It's all about your personal comfort level. Personally, I do not break-in barrels... And yes, I have purchased some "New" rifles. FWIW...

Barrels DO break in hand lapped or not. Hand lapped barrels will take much less rounds to break in but it will still take some rounds down it for the bore to be perfectly smoother.

The problem with the shoot one clean one methods is very time you run that bore brush through the barrel your reversing the true break in process the bullet going down the barrel did. Clean every shot, every three shots or whatever is completely uneeded and is actually bad for your barrel. A barrel will smooth out whether or not you get the deposits from each shot out or not, it will take longer to break in if your using a brush.

My break in procedure for non lapped barrels is 200 rounds. No cleaning until that 200 rounds is fired. Fire the 200 rounds, it will get you familiar with the gun instead of dicking around with cleaning, then give it a good thorough cleaning and don't clean it until it needs it. This will also break in the entire gun, not just the barrel. For hand lapped barrels its less, some tend to make the groups shrink in as few at 20-25 rounds and some might take 100 so shooting 100 rounds to break in a hand lapped barrel is a safe bet.

I've broken in dozens of rifles using many methods and this is the best that works for me. I've noticed in the few barrels I've broken in doing the clean one shoot one that barrel still takes about 200 rounds AFTER this process until the groups get smaller. Bottom line the "break in procedures" are a waste of ammo, cleaning supplies, and most of all time. Just shoot!!

Geez, this issue just keeps popping up. I understand that it is a greatly misunderstood, and hotly debated topic. The search function should point people to past threads so they can read up on the issue, THEN ask questions after they have done some homework.

Personally, I don't believe break in is necessary. But if a manufacturer says to do it, I will follow instructions.

That being said, I haven't noticed any difference between breaking in or not breaking in a properly manufactured, machined, and lapped barrel.

When someone who has put 20 years of their life into figuring out exactly what kind of polish they want inside their barrel and the throat of that barrel, it would be the height of arrogance for me to think that my shooting 20-40 rounds through that barrel will improve on the finish. But, again, if they say break it in, I'll follow the manufacturer's instructions.

I assume this is a new medium char Oak barrel? You will need to soak the barrel for not less than 5 days. Fill the barrel to the top with warm water and set it aside to allow for barrel slats to swell. Every couple of days, dump out the water and replace with fresh water. Do this by pouring the water out the top bung, not the tap! Turn the barrel over, pull the top bung, then open the tap (tap now at top). Do not be surprised if wood char fragments comes out at first. This is normal as the bung bore and spigot hole are done post assembly. Even a fresh medium char barrel will spill out tea colored water for quiet a time, that is the charcoal.

After 4-5 days there should be no apparent sign of exterior leaks. On the final day, clean out the barrel with two full rinses and immediately fill with rum. Remember, by soaking the barrel you will retain alcohol that would normally be lost in the wood interior. Because of the surface area of smaller barrels, the actual aging effect is quite remarkable, one month = one year of standard aging in 50-60 gallon char oak barrels. That means that even a fair rum can be turned into sensational rum in less than a year. 12 month = 12 years! Keep it filled to the very top as air reduces the overall alcohol content down. At any rate,barrel storage will still result in approx. 2-3% total alcohol loss per year. When you've decided the run is ready, empty the whole barrel lot into bottles and refill, to the top, immediately with your next set aside. The first year is the hardest after that...well your set. Barrels will have an accelerating effect for about 8 years and then, while being good for storage will have no effect on taste. You can buy char chips though and "recharge" your barrel with the same aging effects. Its a PITA on the spigot though. I don't know what barrel you bought, but your going to really be amazed by the net results of putting away, buy your next here.

http://www.1000oaksbarrel.com/

Now, reloading....easier than you might expect, at first.. but if you are reloading more than 20 rounds...simply rest the glass under spout as Coriolis effect (Earth spin) will come into play. Everyone loves shooters, but take your time, make each round count.

A= Turn to pour.
B= Where the rum will come out.

Lastly, I have seen more barrels ruined by cleaning with little or no true improvements. Smart folks run their barrel until results at the tap end change, then clean it without any harsh chemicals.

Good luck! Welcome to the Hide, hickup.

S99.jpg

^^^ lol, thanks mate! i always wanted to know how "the pros" broke in there barrels.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Good luck! Welcome to the Hide, hickup.
</div></div>

Awesome post! If there was an award for top post of the year, you should get it.

Thanks for the sound advice!
-Chris

No problem, a good barrel is a great pleasure and certainly deserves a proper start. Keep 'em close to the floor, go prone.

Wow! Just when I thought I had nothing left to learn about barrel break in!

Now RT lets say I want to load my barrel with some Brugal Anejo, already a great load in its own right, will it attain the "velocity" of say Extra Viejo or dare I hope...Siglo de Oro?

Even if they wanted to take the time and expense to barrel say a 1/2 liter, they wouldn't be allowed because of sealing laws. In other words, you take far less than Anejo and, with a fresh char, you get as close to original Rumbustion as possible. Honestly, the long range folks load their barrels on their boats and let it rock for the full year. Think about that..they can go well past 5,000 yards and still, every round hits the target.

Excellent, even beats NOBODY's break in video.