• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proper bullet selection

JohnyM

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2022
Texas
First time on here. Here is my situation. I have a Ruger American chambered in a 6.5 Creedmore. The rifle has a composite stock, a 22 inch barrel with a 1:8 RH twist. The scope is a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 44 dead hold BDC moa. suppressed by a SilencerCo Harvester 300. Ammo is Winchester Deer Season XP in 125 grain. Ballistics table says I should be 1.7 inchs high at 100 yards to be dead on at 200yds. The day I was shooting there was a slight cross wind of around 5mph. I was on a solid bench, bipod and sand bags, so I feel like I was steady. At 100yds I was within 1/2 inch group, but at 200 yds I was 2 1/2 to 3 inchs wide right and about 1/2 inch low. I'm fine with the 1/2 low but being that for right has got me really concerned. I will have shots from 50 yds to 500 yds so I could imagine how for right I would be at 500 yds. Any suggestions as to what might improve my accuracy? A friend suggested I get on here and ask for advice. He thinks it has a lot to do with harmonics, the grain weight of the bullet and manufacture. Any suggestions would be much appreciated to increase accuracy.

You would have to have a 25 mph wind to push your bullet that far off center.
1) Do you have a "good" zero at 100 yds or a close zero at 100 yds?
2) Is you scope mounted level to the scope base or is it canted to one side?
3) Have you tried it without the suppressor?

You would have to have a 25 mph wind to push your bullet that far off center.
1) Do you have a "good" zero at 100 yds or a close zero at 100 yds?
2) Is you scope mounted level to the scope base or is it canted to one side?
3) Have you tried it without the suppressor?
1 I have a good zero at 100 yds
2 I believe it is level.
3 yes. without the suppressor the group was 4 inchs high and 1 inch to the left.
The three shots to that are high are without the suppressor the three to the right are with the suppressor. Big difference.
1654435284841.jpeg

The easiest next thing to try is different Ammo, I would try something like the Hornady 143gr ELD-X. That gives you a completely different dynamic with a better bullet and a heavier bullet.

The suppressor is really pushing you to the right so you may want to look at how it is mounted. Could be a very light strike inside the suppressor (unlikely) so check the inside for impact marks.

The easiest next thing to try is different Ammo, I would try something like the Hornady 143gr ELD-X. That gives you a completely different dynamic with a better bullet and a heavier bullet.

The suppressor is really pushing you to the right so you may want to look at how it is mounted. Could be a very light strike inside the suppressor (unlikely) so check the inside for impact marks.
Thank you for the advice.

AllenOne1, I have a similar situation with a Savage 110 High Country chambered in 308. It has a 1:10 twist. I am shooting Federal Power Shok 150 gr bullets in it. I have a Sig Sauer Sierra 3 BDX 4.5x14x44 on it. At 100 yds I am suppose to be 2 inchs high at 100 yds to be dead on at 200 yds. again I am 3.5 inchs wide right and .5 to 1 inch low. I am using a Harverster 300 suppressor on it as well only a different one. What grain bullet or what ammunition would you suggest I shoot in it? I have come to the conclusion that the suppressor is the problem and I am waiting on a response from SilencerCo the manufacturer.

AllenOne1, I have a similar situation with a Savage 110 High Country chambered in 308. It has a 1:10 twist. I am shooting Federal Power Shok 150 gr bullets in it. I have a Sig Sauer Sierra 3 BDX 4.5x14x44 on it. At 100 yds I am suppose to be 2 inchs high at 100 yds to be dead on at 200 yds. again I am 3.5 inchs wide right and .5 to 1 inch low. I am using a Harverster 300 suppressor on it as well only a different one. What grain bullet or what ammunition would you suggest I shoot in it? I have come to the conclusion that the suppressor is the problem and I am waiting on a response from SilencerCo the manufacturer.
I'm not a 308 guy but I would probably recommend a 178 gr bullet.

Having the same issue on two guns with the same suppressor is interesting, starts to point to the suppressor doesn't it?

Remove the suppressor, re zero at 100, see if you get the results you are expecting at 200 yards (without the suppressor).

Reactions: AllenOne1
Remove the suppressor, re zero at 100, see if you get the results you are expecting at 200 yards (without the suppressor).
Yes that is the piece I was missing. Make sure the gun without the suppressor is tracking. Get a solid zero at 100 yards and then dial the 200 yd drop into your scope approximately (Up 1.5 MOA)

First time on here. Here is my situation. I have a Ruger American chambered in a 6.5 Creedmore. The rifle has a composite stock, a 22 inch barrel with a 1:8 RH twist. The scope is a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 44 dead hold BDC moa. suppressed by a SilencerCo Harvester 300. Ammo is Winchester Deer Season XP in 125 grain. Ballistics table says I should be 1.7 inchs high at 100 yards to be dead on at 200yds. The day I was shooting there was a slight cross wind of around 5mph. I was on a solid bench, bipod and sand bags, so I feel like I was steady. At 100yds I was within 1/2 inch group, but at 200 yds I was 2 1/2 to 3 inchs wide right and about 1/2 inch low. I'm fine with the 1/2 low but being that for right has got me really concerned. I will have shots from 50 yds to 500 yds so I could imagine how for right I would be at 500 yds. Any suggestions as to what might improve my accuracy? A friend suggested I get on here and ask for advice. He thinks it has a lot to do with harmonics, the grain weight of the bullet and manufacture. Any suggestions would be much appreciated to increase accuracy.

Unless its a bull profile or heavy, anything less is good for about 10-12 rounds and its overheated, if the end is too hot to grab with your hand its cooked and will need to cool till cooled 20 minutes or till slightly warm to touch.

I don't think your issue is gun or ammo but the scope not being level. I see it all the time especially on left hand shooters as most stocks are made with righties in mind. Very easy to correct. Put a level on a base, drop a weighted line down on something and make the vertical wire parallel with the string.

Likely your booger hook is playing a serious role here.
That ammo is decent, not spectacular.
Also, JBM ballistics is your friend.
If you don't want to dial, zero for max PBR.
My preference is to zero for 100 yards and dial for elevation. There is a reason BDC reticles are frowned on, except for low power optics for AR's and such.
Understand that the "zero 1.7 high at 100 yards" works for a specific velocity out of their test barrel. Your barrel is different, likely a different length.
You also have to calculate with your scope height above bore etc...