• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proper Caliber and Scope for ELR.?

GParente

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2020
Hi friends.
I used to be part of this forum many years ago and I'm now getting back into shooting long range, (or at least trying to) and wanted to ask the experts about caliber and scope requirements for going beyond 1k yards.
In my previous shotting life, I was shooting a 308 with a Leupold 6x24. Most of the ranges around here don't go to 1k. I was able to shoot 500m pretty decent, but the 1k range was tough with that scope. I'm not sure, it could be just me. lol

Now I'm thinking about going with 6.5creedmoor caliber mainly because of its popularity and supposed better performance at 1k and above.
Can you guys chime in on the thoughts of 6.5 and what size scope would work for mostly 300 to 500yd and ocasional over 1k ranges. ?

Thx
Gil

Just the lowly intern here so my opinion isn’t worth much. 6.5 Creedmoor is perfectly adequate to 1k, you could stick with .308 and challenge yourself a little more too. From what I’ve read, almost anything larger than .223 will be capable of getting to 1k but some are more capable than others

As far as scopes, your 6x24 should be fine. Maybe there was a problem with your previous scope?

I’ll sit in the corner and wait for the big boys to show up now. Their opinionshould hold more weight than mine

If shooting ELR I'd probably do 300 PRC up to maybe 338LM improved with an ATACR 7-35.

But if shooting 300 to 500 and maybe 1000 yards, the 6.5 will do it. You also haven't posted a budget on glass so I'm not sure what to recommend just yet. Maybe an ATACR 5-25?

About two weeks ago I was with another snipers hide member and we worked together to get him on steel at 1809 yards without too much trouble with his 6.5CM.

I’d certainly like a scope with 20x or more magnification.

Reactions: Jscb1b
A 6.5 CM will do fine out to some pretty long ranges. The key issue is where you will be shooting. If you are setting targets where there is a backstop close to the target and it is dry, dirt, or even rock where you can spot the misses, then you're good to go. If you're shooting into any kind of foliage, then the smaller you go in caliber, the harder it is to spot the misses.

A few weeks ago, I was with a friend shooting at about 1500 yards. It was dry with dirt backstop. I had no problem spotting a miss with my 6mm BRA. Conversely, on my last trip out to the Sierras last year, we set a target against a hill at just under 1500. Of course, the Sierras don't get the same kind of dry that lower elevations get, and the hillside had some green on it. I couldn't spot the 6mm misses. My 300, however, was easy to spot.

The 6.5cm is a good choice for 1k rifle and yes it is much better then a .308. I shoot 1k matches with 6.5cm at our local match and have done very well. There are many great options for 6.5 cm rifles. You can spend under $1000 to over $8000 just depends on what you can afford. The same can be said for scopes. For a good starting set up is a Ruger Precision in 6.5cm. There are a lot of people making barrels and they are easy to switch when the barrel is shot out. Scopes are harder as it comes down to what you like and can afford. Here is what I would look at in a scope for shooting 1k a 34mm body 3x20x50 min but would look for a 5x25x56. You want the most turret travel you can get and of course the best glass.

Reactions: MACHTECH
Well it sounds like to me that you're just interested in shooting ELR ish distances. ELR starts at 1500 yards and goes out to 3500 yards so with a 6-5 Creedmoor you're done before you even get started . The 338 Lapua is only entry-level ELR cartridge so with that it's a bottom-line starting place as far as the scope goes Nightforce Burris XTR 3 Etc. You need at least 20 to 30 power and a repeatable scope for dialing up and down over and over again. Leupold is not known for that as they have too much back sasch in threads of turrents Leupold even instructs there customers to dial past then back to remove slack. You also want a scope with a large field of view for spotting and leupolds scopes have way too small of a eye box and black out if you move your head at all. And a scope needs to have a good zero stop.

Thx for the responses guys.
Lots of great info. Please keep on coming.

most of the ranges around here are up to 300 or 500 and some go out to 1k.
I was looking into a cartridge that could do the lower range pretty well, and then if I took it to 1500, I could do ok.

I was looking into a cartridge that could do the lower range pretty well, and then if I took it to 1500, I could do ok.

Seriously hard to beat 6.5 CM or 260 for that.

I'm a guy that will sing the praises of the 300PRC from the top of the mountain.....but for your situation...I'd go with a 6.5cm and shoot the shit out of it.

I'm a guy that will sing the praises of the 300PRC from the top of the mountain.....but for your situation...I'd go with a 6.5cm and shoot the shit out of it.

I second @b2lee with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Seems like a great cartridge for your purposes.
Heck, I know shooters that have taken the 6.5 Creedmoor with 140gr Hybrids to 2240 meters so it's not as if it won't get there ;-)

As for a scope, any proper 5-25x56 or 6-24x56 scope would do.
It all depends on your glass budget and reticle preferences.

For example: Minox ZP5, Kahles K624i or the newer K525i, NightforceATACR 5-25×56 F1, Schmidt & Bender PM II 5-25x56 and others.
You could also go big and look at the ZCO ZC527 or a Tangent Theta TT525P but at those price levels the differences become very small.

Good luck and don't forget that shooting it is better than talking about it 😁

Reactions: GParente
I'd go 7MM if you want to be confident at 1.5K yards. 284 Win/Shehane for regular bolt face or a 7SAUM for a mag face.

If only 1K, then it's just a question of how much challenge you want when the wind kicks up. 284 Win is a very efficient use of powder - plus a great selection of bullets, but will be very easy @ 1K.

Caveat: I don't like lobbing artillery or cheering lucky hits. If I can't get a cold bore hit and/or at least 3 hits in a row at the stated range, it's too far for my equipment and/or skill level.

I'd go 7MM if you want to be confident at 1.5K yards. 284 Win/Shehane for regular bolt face or a 7SAUM for a mag face.

If only 1K, then it's just a question of how much challenge you want when the wind kicks up. 284 Win is a very efficient use of powder - plus a great selection of bullets, but will be very easy @ 1K.

Caveat: I don't like lobbing artillery or cheering lucky hits. If I can't get a cold bore hit and/or at least 3 hits in a row at the stated range, it's too far for my equipment and/or skill level.
I’d add 280AI to that list.
All Three are excellent 1 mile options with relatively mild recoil and operating cost.
At 1000 yards it’s easy mode.

Tough to improve skills if not pushing your personal limits

Some of the days I learned the most was shooting a cartridge deemed impractical and stupid at the distance I was shooting it.
Can’t remember how many times folks laughed and mocked me for pushing well in to transonic.

Some of the days I learned the most was shooting a cartridge deemed impractical and stupid at the distance I was shooting it.
Can’t remember how many times folks laughed and mocked me for pushing well in to transonic.
I'd rather be learning than laughing 😁

I've had days where I'm trying to shoot 1 mile with a 308...and people ask me why? Why not use a round that is better suited for the task...which is a valid question...but that isn't why I'm trying....it forces me to dial in all the variables....to get the things I can control...spot on. My wind reading skills...my truing of the BC...consistent loads....solid fundamentals....and yes...when I feel I got a great trigger pull and everything is taken care of....and I still miss...it is frustrating...but it forces me to concentrate on all the little things....and then I hit and feel great.

On the flip side...when I pull the trigger on my 300PRC...I expect to hit it....if I miss...I'm like WTF?...I could go up there and slap the trigger with a dead opossum and still get my hits....it allows my bad habits to resurface...and the next thing you know..I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a battleship. Now, when I start regularly pushing the 300PRC out to and past 2500yds...I'll be in the same boat...

And that to me...is why we keep pushing ourselves out farther and farther.