• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Properly setting the Redding Type S Bushing die...

taseal

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
SE FL
Hey everyone

my reload kit finally came in today. it's like 1am now and I finally have everyhting the way I want it in the room.

I wanted to see how the reloading dies work so I wanted to try to use the neck sizer to neck size just 1 casing...

well I read the insturctions on the little paper the die came with, I set the die so that it would just lightly touch the shellholder, then I set the decapping rod so that it would stick out about 2 nickels thick like the instuctions say.

I lubed the neck of my casings and the inside a little and pulled the lever on the press. I felt a little pressure and I kept pushing it. on the way down the die had buckled the case at the top of the rim....

me being confused I thought I set the decapping rod too far out. I pulled it out some and tried another case... same shit =/

I opened the die up and it looks like the decapping rod actually attaches to the black piece up top and can be adjusted as well. so the die itself can be adjusted, the black piece on top (not sure of it's name) can be adjusted. and also the decapping rod's lentgh can be adjusted. now my question is. what the hell did I do wrong for this to happen?

and what is that silver piece on the decapping rod? expander? does that need to be anywhere specific?

the instructions say insert the decapping rod until I feel it make contact with the bushing. well I don't feel it make contact with anything. is it saying just drop the rod, and not the black piece on top? the only way I feel it make contact with anything is if I take out the black piece on top and then just drop it in the die. when when it hits the bushing, it stops going any further (duh)
20110527003829920.jpg

Re: Properly setting the Redding Type S Bushing die...

ok, I just lengthened the decapper rod and then adjusted the black adjuster on top to protrude exactly 1/8 of an inch. now it's depriming it, and there is a very small resistance (almost none) when I put them through the die (I am lubing inside and outside of neck). when I use a micrometer to check they're pretty much the same size though, how much diff is there supposed to be?

before neck resizing - (you can see the neck was actually flat on one side)
20110527014043627.jpg

after neck resizing - (seems to be little larger and more round, but it wasn't constant all around.
2011052701434368.jpg

just let me know if that's how it's supposed to be.

Well I'm new to reloading, but never seen anything like that happen. I've set the crimp to high and pushed the neck way down ruining the case, but never crunched the top of the case neck.

Maybe the cases are too long, did you check them with a dial caliper? Typically you want to trim case length after decap/resize.

The silver piece at the top of your decapper pic is simply holding the decapping pin in place. If you break the pin you can remove that cap and replace the pin itself only.

Also I've never had issues with case damage from setting the decap too low or too high. It only effects how well it pushes out the primer.

I'm sure a Redding owner will come along soon. All my dies are RCBS or Hornady.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey everyone

my reload kit finally came in today. it's like 1am now and I finally have everyhting the way I want it in the room.

I wanted to see how the reloading dies work so I wanted to try to use the neck sizer to neck size just 1 casing...

well I read the insturctions on the little paper the die came with, I set the die so that it would just lightly touch the shellholder, then I set the decapping rod so that it would stick out about 2 nickels thick like the instuctions say.

I lubed the neck of my casings and the inside a little and pulled the lever on the press. I felt a little pressure and I kept pushing it. on the way down the die had buckled the case at the top of the rim....

me being confused I thought I set the decapping rod too far out. I pulled it out some and tried another case... same shit =/

I opened the die up and it looks like the decapping rod actually attaches to the black piece up top and can be adjusted as well. so the die itself can be adjusted, the black piece on top (not sure of it's name) can be adjusted. and also the decapping rod's lentgh can be adjusted. now my question is. what the hell did I do wrong for this to happen?

and what is that silver piece on the decapping rod? expander? does that need to be anywhere specific?

the instructions say insert the decapping rod until I feel it make contact with the bushing. well I don't feel it make contact with anything. is it saying just drop the rod, and not the black piece on top? the only way I feel it make contact with anything is if I take out the black piece on top and then just drop it in the die. when when it hits the bushing, it stops going any further (duh)
20110527003829920.jpg
</div></div>

I don't see any bushings. Did you buy bushings? They are purchased separately.

Hi taseal!

What is the part number on your die set? Which die set did you order?

HTH!

Taseal,

Here is something for you to try. Slip a damaged case on the center part of the die. I think you are crushing the case neck with the top of the die center because it is adjusted too low in the die body. The decapping pin height is adjusted by loosening the knurled jam nut on the center decap rod and turning the rod in or out. Don't forget to tighten the jam nut on the decap rod.

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey everyone

20110527003829920.jpg
</div></div>
I don't see any bushings. Did you buy bushings? They are purchased separately.

</div></div>

ah...

I thought it came with 1 bushing already installed. a .001 bushing?

that can be one of the problems? lol...

I bought this. yeah I guess I didn't get the bushing...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=641574

gonna have to order the bushing....
frown.gif

what bushing shall I order?

I watched a video on youtube, and it says to check it with a loaded bullet... well I don't have a loaded bullet becaus eI can't reload any bullets yet
frown.gif
what's a good starter bushing for a .30-06?

This is just great... it's 6 am and I have to be at work....

by the time I get home it'll be too damn late to order it online. by the time it's shipped it'll be monday. and I won't get it by thursday or friday.

great... just great. I have all the stuff, but no damn bushing to load anything up. this just really sucks.

Ok I did some research and came up with this thread.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1238360939/12#12

And http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?50780-Lapua-30-06-Brass....bushing-size

So it's safe to assume .334 will work?

I can get 1 TiN at .334 or I can get 2 steel for .333 and .334 (.333 for commercial brass) can to much lver. This is unexpected cost for me. I'm way over budget on this right now
frown.gif

I would really like to order something today so I can get it a bit earlier (today instead of Monday shipping) so I can get to loading.

If anyone has any bushing numbers, I'd love to know. I might start a new thread about the bushing size question to get an answer as I'm in nit of a rush now
smile.gif

FYI I. Using lapua and 175smk. I do have some commercial brass that I'm gonna use first to test out reloading. I don't wanna mess up the lapua brass. They're Winchester commercial brass.

taseal,

The first thing you need to order is a ball micrometer so you can get an accurate case neck thickness measurement of the brass you have in hand. Even Lapua brass will have case neck thickness variations and depending on the lot sometimes it is no better than commercial Remington or Winchester brass. It just depends on what you get and how the machines were working that shift.

Once you have a ball mic measure several clean case necks to get a good handle on how thick your brass is at the necks so you can select a bushing size to use. If you have to size your necks more than 0.005" of an inch it is HIGHLY recommended that you neck size in two steps. If you try to size more than 0.005" your necks will be oversized which is to say the necks will end up SMALLER than your neck sizing bushing! Yes it sounds wrong but this is what happens when sizing too much in one step. Read this German Salazr article on two stage neck sizing why it is important and how to do it: Basics, neck tension, bushing dies and other reloading mysteries

I'm sorry to have to tell you this but even if you had a loaded round using the brass and bullets you plan to use you will still need at least one bushing on either side of your target neck size. It takes at least three bushings to really get it just right and if you have different lots of brass you have to keep them seperated and use the approriate bushing so you can achieve the target neck size for that particular group of brass.

I know you are in a hurry but do yourself a huge favor and order a ball mic. before you order any neck bushings. DO NOT TRY TO USE CALIPERS to find case neck thickness or you will more than likely spend a LOT more money chasing your guesstimates at how thick your case necks are. It is cheaper to buy a ball mic and three Ti coated bushings than to buy a whole lot of the wrong plain steel neck bushings!

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm, everyone says to just use a micrometer. That ball bushimg seems it would be even harder to get a number... Why would a micrometer make it harder to get a reading?

You mean one of these right?

http://www.amazon.com/DIGITAL-ELECTRONIC...2905&sr=8-3 </div></div>

Who is everyone? Who ever they are is WRONG. Use one of these: Ball Mic Link

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm, everyone says to just use a micrometer. That ball bushimg seems it would be even harder to get a number... Why would a micrometer make it harder to get a reading?

You mean one of these right?

http://www.amazon.com/DIGITAL-ELECTRONIC...2905&sr=8-3 </div></div>

Redding themselves is one of them

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=nXyhVwjWHY4

Not being a smartass, just showing one of the places that said to use that method.

Who is everyone? Who ever they are is WRONG. Use one of these: Ball Mic Link

HTH!

</div></div>

taseal,
I think it has something to do with the "instuctions"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Redding themselves is one of them

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=nXyhVwjWHY4

Not being a smartass, just showing one of the places that said to use that method. </div></div>

I think you may have misunderstood what Redding was showing you in the video and what I'm telling you you need to do to determine what bushing sizes you need to order without having any of the loaded ammunition in hand using exactly the same components you want to handload with.

Look carefully at the ball mic link I posted. These are what you need to directly measure case neck thickness which a conventional caliper cannot do with any reliable accuracy. Once you have this information you can then use the Redding formula to find the bushing sizes you need to order. BTW the method is: average case neck thickness reading times two plus bullet diameter minus (0.003" for an auto loader or 0.002" for a bolt gun or 0.001" for a bolt gun using cases with turned necks) equals bushing size needed if the world were perfect and all dimsions were too. Then you just need to order the target size bushing and one bushing size up and one bushing size down to be happy with the sizing results on your brass.

The amazon mics you posted are used to measure something else altogether.

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">taseal,
I think it has something to do with the "instuctions" </div></div>

Perhaps
smile.gif

So you ordered the bushing neck die instead of the FL set.If you had ordered the FL set you wouldn't be as much overbudget and you would have some nice freshly reloaded ammo to shoot. Just sayin...

First, Lube the body of the cases, not the neck. See how that works and get back to us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, Lube the body of the cases, not the neck. See how that works and get back to us. </div></div>

Why would you suggest lubing the body if he is using a neck sizing die? Only need to lube the body if doing FL resizing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, Lube the body of the cases, not the neck. See how that works and get back to us. </div></div>

Not sure if that's a tip, but I'm neck sizing. Why would I lube the body to size the neck? I'm not sure on that. Do t confuse the newbie reloader lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you ordered the bushing neck die instead of the FL set.If you had ordered the FL set you wouldn't be as much overbudget and you would have some nice freshly reloaded ammo to shoot. Just sayin... </div></div>

I decided that I leave the body alone and keep the fire forming after using the brass. I'll use the body die when I have fitment issues.

What brass are you using?

There's two ways you can do this:

1. Take a loaded round, take your calipers or mic, measure the OD of the neck of the loaded round. Then subtract .001" and order that bushing and one bushing below.

or

2. Take a ball mic, measure the thickness of your neck multiply by two. Then add the actual diameter of your bullet. For example, your neck thickness measures .012". Multiply x2 = .024".

Add .308" you get .332"

so order a .331" and a .330 "bushing size for a bolt gun and you should be good to go.

When you setting up your bushing, make sure you don't tighten it down all the way. The instructions should say to let the bushing float a little bit otherwise you might crush the shoulder a bit.

Hope that helps.

Yeah thing is, I dont have a loaded bullet. I can load an unsized virgin lapua and see what I get, would that work?

I'm using lapua, and commercial Winchester ammo.

Yeah I do remember the instructions saying once the decapping rod thing touched the bushing, it said unscrew 1/16 so it can self center.

1/16 is one helluva small turn, hopefully I can gauge 1/16 of a a turn lol.

It's just enough so that the bushing isn't screwed down too tight, otherwise the edge of the bushing might contact the shoulder area and that's no good.

yes, loading a virgin lapua brass will work, it will get you in the ball park. mic the OD of the loaded round, then subtract .001 and .002". Order one of each of those sizes. Chances are you won't need anything more than the -.001" size bushing.

winchester tends to be thinner brass. At least in the unprimed brass that I've used before. I don't know about the factory ammo. You will probably need a different bushing size for the winchester.

As Frogman said you'll probably need twice the bushings if you plan on using Lapua and Winchester brass and running the same neck tension.

Personally I would shoot up the Winchester ammo and sell the brass here and stick with the Lapua for reloading. It seems like a good idea now, to use the Winchester first, because you might save some money but it's not. I've been there and done that and it's not worth the time, effort and components to work up a load on "practice" brass and then start over with the brass you really want to use. Not to mention the extra TiN bushings you'll need for the Win brass at $23 a piece which you won't even need anymore when you quit using it. Yeah, you might ruin a couple pieces of Lapua brass but if you've done your homework on this site I'm sure you'll do fine and I think you'll still be better off by just sticking with the Lapua brass and the 175 smk combination and working with that. The less variables you have, especially when starting out, the less frustrating and more enjoyable reloading will be.

Oh, my bad, thought his die was the FL type S.

Perfect.

Thanks guys, I already sort of seated a bullet yesterday to get OAL (3.399 so I'm gonna load 3.4) so I'll just get the OD of that cartridge.

As far as shooting the Winchester... Yeah I had it so I figured I use it. I'm gonna shoot around 50 at a time, so I can use the lapua. They're just so da,n expensive, I'm afraid to use them! Haha!

I ordered .334-.336 so hopefully one of those will work, if not I gotta order another set and return those to midways

Just to confirm, any bushing will work right? Or does it have to be redding bushings?

I ordered the steel btw, ill order TiN when I know the sizes for sure

Now that I look I'm not exactly sure. Redding doesn't say that you can use other bushings in their dies but RCBS says that Redding bushings will work in their Gold Medal Match dies. Why not just buy the Redding ones though?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DBohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that I look I'm not exactly sure. Redding doesn't say that you can use other bushings in their dies but RCBS says that Redding bushings will work in their Gold Metal Match dies. Why not just buy the Redding ones though? </div></div>

I can pick up other brands right now at bass pro. no redding there.

I did order some though.

I measured my neck with the bullet btw. it's .336 so .335 should work just fine. I also bought .336 and .334. .334 will work for the commercial brass probably

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DBohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that I look I'm not exactly sure. Redding doesn't say that you can use other bushings in their dies but RCBS says that Redding bushings will work in their Gold Metal Match dies. Why not just buy the Redding ones though? </div></div>

I can pick up other brands right now at bass pro. no redding there.

I did order some though.

I measured my neck with the bullet btw. it's .336 so .335 should work just fine. I also bought .336 and .334. .334 will work for the commercial brass probably </div></div>

taseal,

How did your hand loading experience go? Did you find a setup that produces good ammo for your rifle?

Cheers!