• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pros and Cons. 18" vs 20". (again, probably)

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
Sure it has been discussed, but I still would like to hear some current opinions from guys who shoot both. As these compact LTR style rifles are becoming more accepted in the precision shooting community.

I am having APA (still prefer Patriot, Sorry Jered) build me a 308.

It is going to be a Remington 700 action, Broughton barrel, with APA's full treatment.

The critical factore to me are this.

1K is awesome, but the fact is my range is ~650 yards and 99% of my shooting is there, because it is an awesome facility.

I like the LTR sized rifle, and want to stay at 20" because it is so handy, and doesnt seem to be any compromise in my shooting. But, it will be threaded and will ultimately mount a suppressor.

I am not terribly concerned about the ballistics of giving up an additional 2", but it is something to consider. I am almost more concerned about aesthetics (heresy, LOL). I kind of think 20" is the sweet spot as far as looks. Any shorter and they begin to look unbalanced. Not a huge concern but it factors in for me.

What do you guys who own both think? Does a rifle with a 20" barrel seem appreciably less handy than an 18"? Especially if you plan to mount a suppressor. And is the 2" even enough to consider, ballistics-wise? For the record, I shoot exclusively hand loaded ammo with 175SMK's and 155 Scenars, but I want to go all Scenar.

I want 20", but am getting pressure from some buddies (whose opinion I trust) to go 18" and dont look back. Just want to make the right decision as this is my main bolt rifle.

Re: Pros and Cons. 18" vs 20". (again, probably)

It is going to have a can, eventually, but it is not as if it is a dedicated host.

I just am not sure the 2" will be a big difference once I mount a can. But, then, I have never owned a suppressor, only shot a few of a buddies of mine.

But, I mean, at the range, either prone or on a bench, does a 2" shorter barrel make a can that much more easy to manage?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But, I mean, at the range, either prone or on a bench, does a 2" shorter barrel make a can that much more easy to manage? </div></div>
No, but by that logic you would be just as happy with a 26".

One possible solution is to get a 20" and have it cut down later if you find it too long.

Another solution is to get a 19" and tell all your friends it's the next big thing.
grin.gif

Have you ever had an 18" bolt gun? If your answer is no..... THEN GET ONE!

They are extremely handy and a joy to shoot. I love my GAP Gladius build without the can, its on the way, it is extremely accurate. I have shot Coke cans out at 600 yards with them over and over. Handy, accurate, and perfect package size with the suppressor on it.

GO FOR THE 18" !
smile.gif

i love my 18".did i mention i LOVE my 18". it is not the arrow but the indian. if you can hit at x distance with longer and have all the basics down pat you WILL hit w/the shorter barrel.

I just had an 18 finished not too long ago and I am more than pleased with its accuracy out to 600 with the 175's. In fact I'll be shooting it in an upcoming F Class match. 44.5 Varget w/ 175's was the ticket for me...you could obviously get more velocity with the 155's ...

Hydro,

Jered and the crew just built me an 1 in 10 twist, 18" barrelled M2008 in an AICS chassis. I use both 155s and 175s and it likes them equally well. Five round groups at 100 yards hover under .5 edge to edge if I do my part. It's getting a suppressor as soon as I can afford it.

Get the 18" and never look back. You won't regret it, and APA will build you an absolute hammer.