• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pros and Cons of Tactical and Hunting Stocks??

mrpink

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2009
DC metro & rural VT
{Yes, I've done a lot of searches and reading, but found nothing quite on topic)

I am considering a custom build in 308, Surgeon action and DBM. I'm interested in the pros and cons of a tactical (say, A5) stock vs. a hunting stock (say, HTG or HTG adj). I currently own hunting rifles.

I understand that a tactical stock handles the recoil better prone or benched, but not sure why.

Rifle is to be used mostly target shooting - static range to 300yds and I have about 600yds on the farm. Light hiking and shooting from varied positions, probably a majority prone on bipod or bagged. I can set up varied courses of fire - prone paper targets, dynamic steel, etc that I can hike around the mountain to access. Given the cost, this will not be a hunting gun (hunting deer in the VT mountains in Nov chews up guns, besides most shots are 50-125 yds). I'd like to keep the build light but accurate in rapid fire. I have a hard time thinking I need a 308 rifle that goes 12 pounds sans scope. So that's a compromise question for later.

Looking for opinions AND RATIONALE for tactical or hunting stocks. Thanks!

Re: Pros and Cons of Tactical and Hunting Stocks??

I personally think that hunting stocks carry better and are more versatile for shooting from different positions. They also tend to be somewhat lighter.

light but accurate?

why not cut weight in the barrel versus the stock?

Ohhh, been down this road, consider a HS Precision stock, and a 24" barrel. I use a Remington 5R for all the situations above, cost about half the price of some custom builds. Shoots outstanding well right out of the box. Good glass on top and have at it. You can build it tactical or hunting, which ever you prefer. Its not a bad rifle to carry when you have to.

I find that the HTG style stocks are more conductive to position shooting than the A5 style. The A5 works better off of a bench or prone from a bipod.

It really is going to boil down to what feels better for YOU as you intend to use it.

I am a bit biased toward the HTG due to familiarity.

Looked at the A1-3? Or the Manners T3? Both are tac/hunt to me....I am having a hard time deciding my self.

I've never really got on with low comb stocks on scoped rifles so on my new GAP build I've spec'd the ADJ HTG - seems like the "best of both worlds", a great balance between a "tactical" and "hunting" stock to me.

I looked at the A1-3 too but really wanted an adjustable cheekpiece.....

I'd spec flush cups for sling, rear stud for an AccuShot monopod and a forend rail for an Atlas

As for recoil, weight will help (barrel/stock) but if that is a problem....how about a brake? Or maybe look at a .243?

I think hunting rifles cross the line better than tactical ones do. Something about origins and evolutions. Choosing between, my preference is for something more hunting oriented, whatever the application.

The stock needs good forend stiffness to be shot off support, and if a rear bag is to be used, likes its bottom lines to be more in parallel with the boreline. The stock comb ought to slope slightly up as it goes rearward, to allow a higher shoulder contact (this reduces muzzle flip), and decrease the effect where the comb slaps the cheek.

Barrels should stay somewhere around 22 inches, be on the lighter profile side, and kept to 1:10" twist. This is actually on the fast side, but will not do any harm at short to medium range, even with lighter weight bullets.

All this produces a lighter weight rifle. Do yourself a favor, and recognize that if a .243 can anchor a deer satisfactorily, there's no real need for loads heavier than 150gr for hunting deer, and all the heavier bullets do is compound recoil issues and lead to subconscious dread about pulling the trigger. But mostly, they're just not needed.

Heavier rounds can be used for target/tactical comps, and a removable butt plate, with a removable lead mass in a pocket will make these evolutions more tolerable. That, or a Limbsaver removable pad. Molding about 1/2" of lead shot against the innermost surface of the Limbsaver can create a bit of a helpful bargain. Line it with a bag, and use silicone instead of resin, to make the weight flexible, resilient, and removable.

I'd choose a 4-16 scope, not much bigger than 40mm objective, and mount it as low as possible. Hunters favor a 3-9, but comp can use a bit more resolution out to 600yd. The slide adjusting hunters' slings can be adequate for this rifle, as well as a Harris type bipod.

Greg

Thanks for the replies - additional insight welcomed.

A few points, this isn't intended to be a hunting gun. As I noted in my originating post, hunting deer in the mountains of VT in November chews up guns. Inclines, heavy woods and lots of granite outcropings. Snow, rain and freezing rain. I use a Remington 308 semi and the scope and stock are scratched and dinged, the receiver is worn from where I carry it and I bobbed the barrel to remove the front sight to keep it from snagging and to make the gun short.

This build is intended to be a general purpose rifle seeing mostly target shooting. But because I have a stretch of land, it's not that I just lay at the range and shoot at a single target. I can have multiple shooting positions as well ass multiple angles and would involve some light hiking. I want to shoot from a variety of positions, not just prone.

I'm not a fan of building a heavy rifle in 308. 308 recoil is not a problem for me. As an aside, a topic for another post, I am thinking of a Surefire muzzle brake on an 18" or 20" (and suppressor for use in the DC area ranges).

I'm also considering a carbon fiber wrapped barrel from ABS but haven't been able to find much about them other than magazine articles.

Scope will probably be an S&B 3-12x50. Ching sling and thinking about the Seekins mount for a Rock bipod.

I'm leaning towards a hunting type stock. Any other suggestions?

I have an A1-3 stock and absolutely love it! Feels very comfortable to me, and the comb is just a little bit higher than the A1 HTG stock.