• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pros and Cons of these two options

EddieE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2017
Option 1:
Tikka CTR 6.5 CM in chassis, keep barrel- Cheapest would be around $1700 (oryx chassis or X-ray for a little more money)

Option 2:
Howa 1500 6.5 CM, in the same chassis as Tikka. This is much cheaper, about $900. Assuming in this configuration I'm not happy with the barrel, lots of money left over for prefit.

Question is, would the Howa with a prefit be a better choice? shoot better or same as the Tikka with factory barrel (would hope better). I know the Howa is not smooth like the Tikka, and I like a smooth action. But I like super accuracy better. So, if the Howa + prefit will leave the Tikka in the dust, I may opt for this.

Also, I don't reload, so will be using factory match ammo.

If only the Tikka was available in an action only. I'd jump on that.

Last edited:
Option 1:
Tikka CTR 6.5 CM in chassis, keep barrel- Cheapest would be around $1700 (oryx chassis or X-ray for a little more money)

Option 2:
Howa 1500 6.5 CM, in the same chassis as Tikka. This is much cheaper, about $900. Assuming in this configuration I'm not happy with the barrel, lots of money left over for prefit.

Question is, would the Howa with a prefit be a better choice? shoot better or same as the Tikka with factory barrel (would hope better). I know the Howa is not smooth like the Tikka, and I like a smooth action. But I like super accuracy better. So, if the Howa + prefit will leave the Tikka in the dust, I may opt for this.

If only the Tikka was available in an action only. I'd just on that.
Tikka actions have come up in px here recently.

Personally I’d build off a Tikka before a howa. If I’m worried about the added cost then start looking at aftermarket actions like big horn and what not

Get what you want to start with. Especially with the action. To upgrade later only cost a ton more money.

If accuracy was the ultimate goal I would think the Howa would be better with a new barrel if needed.

The Tikkas are know to be slow factory barrels, but I don't think their has been any issues with accuracy.

As long as the action is pretty close to square it's one of the least likely component to contribute to accuracy. The after market actions are mostly to get options not available on factory actions.

Or just get an Origin with a Rem 700 footprint, prefit barrel, and the same chassis.

Reactions: Schütze
If you are open to buying a Howa AND then a prefit barrel, you are infinitely better off spending another 300 bucks and buying a CDG or origin and a prefit barrel. I own a fully rebuilt Howa: bolt fluted and bushed, blueprinted, custom rail, new barrel and it cost me more than going full custom. Just rock an origin if price is still a factor or jump up to LP or impact if you can spend a little more. Just my opinion.

Reactions: stanley_white
I got behind and fire few shot of the Howa. Overall the bolt throw and cycle is not smooth. Bolt lift is very unpleasant for me. You might have to put few hundreds round to smooth it out. Accuracy is “ok” 0.60-0.75 moa with factory ammo.

I have a Tikka 223. I think I will stick with Tikka for now. Would love a CDG, prefit, chassis, etc. but I don't shoot enough to put that much in the gun. You guys basically reinforced what I knew deep down....Tikka = Better. I'm pretty sure Tikka CTR will give me the kind of accuracy I want without going prefit route. Right now I'm going to get my T3x 223 threaded, stick a tuner brake on it and shoot that for while. Hopefully that will scratch the itch for some time. I will keep an eye out for actions though, if they come up.

Last edited:
Last time out my CTR in 223, .65 moa @ 200 yards (in an Oryx chassis Lapua brass, Hornady 75gr ELD m and 24.4gr Vhitav N540)about 3mph full value wind. Put about 400 rounds down it now, action is very smooth and I’m running a mod as well.

Reactions: krumfola
Option 1:

Option 2:

If only the Tikka was available in an action only. I'd jump on that.
brownells has 6.5 cm howa actions with carbon barrels for 750 and if you use code TA10 or triggered you can get it down to 675. might be another option in the q and a says its an AG composites barrel

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts...00-6.5-creedmoor-carbon-fiber-barreled-action

says its an AG composites barrel

Yeah I se where it says that in the Q&A, but I doubt that is correct. I’ve never heard of AG making anything other than really great stocks. I’m prepared to be educated though.

JA Outdoors normally has Tikka actions…might check with them.

Having said that I’m in the “get the Origin” camp.

Reactions: EddieE
JA Outdoors normally has Tikka actions…might check with them.

Having said that I’m in the “get the Origin” camp.

I shot T3x 223 today at 300 yards for 2 groups (5 rounds and 4 rounds) using Hornady Match factory ammo. Each about 1.75" edge-to-edge using a cheap key chain tape measure. Doubt it would do that on every group, but its still pretty good. For the money, the Tikka can't be beat. I will have to see how things go, maybe I can find a CTR in 6.5 for sale at a decent price. Pretty sure I would be satisfied with a factory barrel as I am with my 223. If not, I suppose I could upgrade, then the price is essentially the same as buying a custom action and building up from there.

Reactions: Judd
And your resale will never be what the origin would be ;)

Get what makes you happy, I ain’t paying for it.

And your resale will never be what the origin would be ;)

Get what makes you happy, I ain’t paying for it.
True, but if I was going custom, I would get in line for the ARC CDG. Maybe if I have a windfall I will splurge. The longest distance I shoot is 500 yards (summer only). My 223 can handle that distance easy. 6.5 is too much gun for 500 yards.

Reactions: Judd