• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pros / Cons Of CMC AR15 Trigger? Flat 3.5 lb Version

Joeg26er

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Looking for feedback from actual users. Pros / Cons Of CMC AR15 Trigger? Flat 3.5 lb Version

I use that exact trigger on every AR I own. Fantastic.

I've got two of the 3.5lb and two of the 2.5lb. They're great for the $130 JoeBobs always has them for. Not the cleanest break. If I was paying the $170 they often go for I'd spend a bit more and move up to the next tier.

I've got two of the 3.5lb and two of the 2.5lb. They're great for the $130 JoeBobs always has them for. Not the cleanest break. If I was paying the $170 they often go for I'd spend a bit more and move up to the next tier.

You ever tried their combat 3.5 ? Super clean break I was pleasantly surprised. I don't have any experience with their regular 3.5 though.

I have one and replaced it quickly. The problem I had was the amount of take up, and most of this was in the trigger moving in the lower. If they added some set screws to take up the play it would have been fine, but as is I would look elsewhere for my sample size of one.

Reactions: JS8588
@Huskydriver I haven't, but I imagine it's mechanically identical to the flat trigger. Don't get me wrong they're great triggers, you just can't expect them to be as clean as a Triggertech or similar.

I have one and replaced it quickly. The problem I had was the amount of take up, and most of this was in the trigger moving in the lower. If they added some set screws to take up the play it would have been fine, but as is I would look elsewhere for my sample size of one.
I've found this to be lower dependant. I've shimmed underneath them a couple times to eliminate it.

I had the same experience.

Primary Arms had a bank of CMC triggers next to a bank of Geissele triggers in their showroom for customers to try out- this was pre-covid. The CMC triggers felt like trash. It could be they had been pulled and abused a ton by customers. It could also be that I just really prefer 2 stage triggers. But, I was not impressed by any of them.

Reactions: JohnCarter17
i have two AR15 3.5 and the AR10 2.5 flat. I like em. I blew primers in a grendel years ago, locked up the CMC some how. they sent me a new one no questioned asked.

I've found this to be lower dependant. I've shimmed underneath them a couple times to eliminate it.
I am sure it is, but there are other offerings on the market that are not, not do I need to add my own shim to make it right.

Reactions: JS8588
I am sure it is, but there are other offerings on the market that are not, not do I need to add my own shim to make it right.
Fair enough. The first one that had this problem was my third CMC, so I already had a reasonably good track record with them. If it had been my first it might have been my last.

Looking for feedback from actual users. Pros / Cons Of CMC AR15 Trigger? Flat 3.5 lb Version
I don’t have a flat one, but all my hunting AR’s have them. 100% meat in the freezer and safe. I probably won’t use one on a straight up target rifle these days, but it’s a solid choice.

I bougt a CMC 2.5lb single stage for $150. It is consistent. Fast lock time. But like others have said it does have a little take up or play maybe, but that isn’t too bad. Sounds like they honor their warranty.
There are much nicer triggers, but you are going to pay more.
I would buy again.

Had a CMC that was fine for about 500 rounds then the hammer wouldn't catch the disconnect about 75% of the time.
I would recommend a JP trigger.

When they're good, they're good, but they can be frustrating as well. In my experience, they have minimal takeup and break fairly cleanly. I wound up with four CMC triggers (one for each AR I'd built at the time): 2 x flat 2.5#, one curved 3.5, and another curved in 2.5. The curved 2.5 measures 3lb 3 oz. The curved 3.5 measures close to rated pull, but breaks like glass (I've designated it the wonder trigger). As I recall, one of the flat 2.5's is heavier than rated. The two that measure heavier than rated weight are sitting on a shelf (swapped out for Geissele's), awaiting their pictures to be taken, so I can sell them.

IMO, they're a good buy for general purpose AR's.

Simple solution, shim the bottom of the housing push down and slide pins in like others have said. I usually snag them on sale, I dont see or feel enough of a difference vs some more expensive triggers I have to not run them in hunting rigs.

Simple solution, shim the bottom of the housing push down and slide pins in like others have said. I usually snag them on sale, I dont see or feel enough of a difference vs some more expensive triggers I have to not run them in hunting rigs.
My point is for the price there are better options (Rise armament does well and has set screw to help with the wiggle.) This sight did a comparison, there is still plenty of take up even with no wobble. https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ar-15-drop-in-trigger-roundup/

I had a 3.5 flat trigger years ago and thought it was a fine trigger when it worked. I had problems with it not resetting. CMC was easy to work with and replaced the trigger. I sold the rifle shortly after that, so I'm not sure how the replacement fared. I was going to buy another one recently, but read multiple reviews from multiple places where people shared the same experience as mine regarding the trigger reset problem. My problem occured back in 2015, and Ive seen people complain as recently as 2021 about this problem.

However, when the trigger functioned, I thought it was quite nice relative to the price point ($100-120) However, I'm not a high end trigger guy. I usually buy larue MBTs or geissele g2s when they go on sale.

Primary Arms had a bank of CMC triggers next to a bank of Geissele triggers in their showroom for customers to try out- this was pre-covid. The CMC triggers felt like trash. It could be they had been pulled and abused a ton by customers. It could also be that I just really prefer 2 stage triggers. But, I was not impressed by any of them.
IME, the cheapest Geiselle (G2S) is better than any CMC trigger I've ever used.................& when they have it available as a BLEM, it's $115. Put a lighter trigger spring on it & it becomes an unmarked SSA-E.

Just my view of the world.

MM

• Haha
Reactions: TurboTrout
Yeah, I remember that. I liked the Gs, but don't remember that much about the CMCs.

FYI.

JoeBobs has $99 blowout sale on CMCs right now.

I had 2 of the CMC 2+2 Flat Triggers. Functioned pretty well. The break was not bad as was the reset. Only thing I didn't care for was the play between the trigger housing and the receiver. It was noticeable. It would actually rock around. Tried it in 4 different receivers from 4 different manufactures both billet and forged.

I read that they could be shimmed, but I didn't feel like going to the trouble. I ended up selling both.

I was trying multiple triggers and the Elftman, TriggerTech and AR Gold I had were better IMHO. None had movement like the CMC.

I had 2 of the CMC 2+2 Flat Triggers. Functioned pretty well. The break was not bad as was the reset. Only thing I didn't care for was the play between the trigger housing and the receiver. It was noticeable. It would actually rock around. Tried it in 4 different receivers from 4 different manufactures both billet and forged.

I read that they could be shimmed, but I didn't feel like going to the trouble. I ended up selling both.

I was trying multiple triggers and the Elftman, TriggerTech and AR Gold I had were better IMHO. None had movement like the CMC.
They don’t move in Aero m5, PSA ar15, seekins sp10, or ddm5 lowers.

They don’t move in Aero m5, PSA ar15, seekins sp10, or ddm5 lowers.
The CMC's I had moved in both my M5's, Seekins SP223, RRA LAR15, couple of Spike's and a couple of Mega's. Was a real bummer since I liked the trigger itself, was the reason I bought 2 of them. Did the same thing with MBT2S's, those didnt last long for other reasons. ETA: The MBT's didnt move.

I have the light flat single stage trigger in my JP CTR, been running it for years, great trigger, no issues and good peeps at CMC, very tight and a clean break, but that’s in a quality lower and screw in pins, I’d say good to go.