• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

pros/cons on the Savage Elite Precision? looking at one in 300WM

AZIROC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2012
Avondale, AZ
As the title says, I am looking for a precision bolt gun. I have played in the AR small and large frame world of precision shooting and looking to dab into the bolt action world. I, or i should say my wife, has a savage in 243 and 7mm. Both bolt guns are your very affordable, more of a hunting style, rifle. I have shot them and made decent load workups for each rifle, but they are not "precision" rifles in any form. I am sure some will say go with a custom action / barrel / stock, and while i get that, i am not looking to go that all in, atleast not yet.

As far as the rifle in question, I haven't seen to many reviews on it, but its also but out for a while. I also saw Savage has come out with a straight pull version as well (for about $800 more). It worth the extra $ for that option? I'm not looking to do high speed tactical shit with said rifle. Just shoot distances of 500-1200 yards.

Has anyone owned or been around one of these rifles? im looking for some input as i am trying to keep the budget around $1500 for the rifle. I already have quality glass to put on it.

10 years ago savage was the viable budget option, and I went that route.
Now I really don’t recommend them as there’s much more options with better resale (which becomes quite important if you get serious), better aftermarket support and better growth opportunities.

If your ok with the savage shortcomings it’s still a rifle that can bang steel or drop critters.

Pros: savage accuracy
Cons: savage QC

For 300 win mag, your other factory options are relatively limited in that price range. A Bergara HMR in 300WM is probably your best bet. You can drop it in any r700 clone chassis and resale will be better

I won't be selling it. Rebarrel sure. But I'll buy another guy vs selling it. Lol. im use to savage actions (243 and 7mm) but those r just cheap hunting rifles.

I won't be selling it. Rebarrel sure. But I'll buy another guy vs selling it. Lol. im use to savage actions (243 and 7mm) but those r just cheap hunting rifles.
You can upgrade the ones you have.
For a short action: oryx chassis and EABrown precision barrel in a 6.5 if your choice.
You can still use it for hunting and for precision work with less than 700 bucks involved