• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ProTec Carbon fiber cleaning rod

old paul

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2010
Northern Ohio
Well I have a 36" one and haven't used it more than 35 times and the brass (like) end came off the rod proper. Paid $39.95 for it @ 13 months ago. Can't find a company phone number that is valid. Says it has a "lifetime Guarantee". I took it back to the shop where I bought it and they said that they thought that "these guys arn't around anymore", they offerred to work a deal from a rod in stock but all they had were coated rods.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am thinking about trying to epoxy the metal to the fiber rod.
Naturally this happened while is was cleaning the bore on my factory fresh Savage 223 - on which I can't wait to break the barrel in.
The advantages of Carbon fiber really appeal to me. I sure am disappointed with Pro Tec's product.
Guidance/comments are appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

Re: ProTec Carbon fiber cleaning rod

Get the Tipton Carbon fiber rod. Tipton will be around to service their products.

You can try a epoxy and crimp combination to get the brass tip back on.

Re: ProTec Carbon fiber cleaning rod

I got one of the same rods one year ago, and the metal tip came off during the second use. The retailer gave me a new one without any questions. I recently found the second one tucked away in my closet, and the tip came off of that one as well. I took it back to the retailer, but they no longer stock them. The store owner told me he quit stocking them afer having to return several other defective rods.