• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Protecting a scope from rain

Bugaboo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Prague, Czech Republic
Yeasterday we shot a competition in the rain and after a short while I could breed fish in the front part of my scope, couldn't see crap.

What is the best way to protect scope from water getting in front of the front and back lens?
In front: Sun shade? Kill flash? Or something else?
In the back: Tarp/poncho ???

Re: Protecting a scope from rain

For the back lens (this only works if you're stationary for a string of shots) I have a backpack rain cover that I drape over my head and the ocular portion of the scope. For the objective part, I haven't really found anything better than just a double-stacked sunshade with a killflash/ARD. When I try to drape something over the objective, it seems to always fall in front of the bell and block my vision.

I once had a very narrow tube low-magnification scope, and it was a perfect fit for the rubber eyepiece that comes with the PSO/PSOP type Russian scopes. I had to have it cupping my eye, which takes getting used to as the recoil compresses it against your eye socket, but it worked pretty damn good. If you've got a more full-size scope, obviously this does not work. But I suppose you could fabricate one somehow?

Brian

see threw scope caps... i wouldnt put the front one on flush.. set it out a little to act like a sunshade

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sunshade, if you need to you can stack a couple of them. Then if needed you can drill a tiny hole in the bottom of it to allow any water that get in to drain out. </div></div>

+1, it works. A strip of tape good tape will seal the scope to extension, which can sometimes be an issue.

Sunshades have worked perfectly for me with no issues at all. +1 to the hole drilling if water builds up inside the shade.

Aron-

So, the sunshade seems like the way to go for the objective end. And i guess some sort of tarp/raincover for the rear is the best route?

Not having nearly the experience that most of the people on this site have, I am still on their side. I have had to double stack covers before in some decent rain, but I haven't tried the hole drilling method. As for the rear lens, tarp/raincover if it gets really bad. Like I said, I haven't shot in terrible rain before, so a ball cap was sufficient enough.

Sunshade/ARD, tip the muzzle down every once in a while. Ocular-if a ballcap or hood isn't available blow the water off and shoot.

Thank all for their advices. The Sunshade+holes drilled looks like nice simple solution.

Good shooting to all!