• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Protective Film

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
Does anyone have a recommendation for a glass film of some sort to give added protection on exterior windows/patio door glass? I recently bought a house and although the area has low crime, I am not trying to be an easy target of opportunity either. I know if someone is determined, they will eventually get inside, but I at least want to make it apparent that they'll have to work for it and let that be a deterrent. Figured I'd ask on here before having to dig through which ones are basically useless and not having to pay commercial building prices.

I'm sure I couldn't tell you the best, but 30 years ago I was down in Miami after Hurricane Andrew and became involved it the shutter business. At the time 3-M came out with a laminate tint product that passed the Dade co codes. Then I'd seen it put in cars (as I recall seeing demonstrators bash the window with ball bats, & though it shattered was still very hard to penetrate) I'd look to a commercial window company, or look for info on hurricane window products.
Here ya go;

OP, I'm in the same spot as you and have researched exhaustively the different brands. 3M is the only route to go. There are other brands out there, but 3M has been shown to be the best. I plan on finding a commercial installer and convincing them to do my house 🤣🤣

yeah my nearest installer is like 100mi away fkkkkk
Have you checked with window tint shops? We had some vehicles go in for reinforced window film due to the riots. The shop claimed they did houses for people.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a glass film of some sort to give added protection on exterior windows/patio door glass? I recently bought a house and although the area has low crime, I am not trying to be an easy target of opportunity either. I know if someone is determined, they will eventually get inside, but I at least want to make it apparent that they'll have to work for it and let that be a deterrent. Figured I'd ask on here before having to dig through which ones are basically useless and not having to pay commercial building prices.
Maybe consider glass break alarms, much cheaper than installation and product cost of the 3M laminate. And although really rare, I recently came into a situation where I had to break a window to ENTER my home to deal with situation before a locksmith was available.

Have you checked with window tint shops? We had some vehicles go in for reinforced window film due to the riots. The shop claimed they did houses for people.
I have. My area had a BLM protest once. 15 white people walking down the street and the rest of the city was lining rhe streets wearing plate carriers and slung AR's.

• Love
Reactions: Milf Dots
For a few different reasons, we put the window film on every window of our house. Ourselves. I HIGHLY recommend you (and all) doing it.

Aside from the 'harder to break in' point (we'll talk about the semantics of that later) the fact that the house is definitely cooler in the summer because the heat is reflected away. VERY noticeably. One other thing though, is if you want plants in the house, you HAVE to get grow lights. Because the film removes all the UV light that the plants need to survive. There are a number of different patterns, if that's your style. We just got the 'mirror' for the privacy and reflectiveness.

It truly IS a lot easier to put it on, than you think. A bit of Scotch-tape, the 'application spray' and a plastic scraper are all that's needed to install. Razor-blade to trim. Oh yeah, and scissors to cut to shape before peeling the film to stick on.

.For a few different reasons, we put the window film on every window of our house. Ourselves. I HIGHLY recommend you (and all) doing it.

Aside from the 'harder to break in' point (we'll talk about the semantics of that later) the fact that the house is definitely cooler in the summer because the heat is reflected away. VERY noticeably. One other thing though, is if you want plants in the house, you HAVE to get grow lights. Because the film removes all the UV light that the plants need to survive. There are a number of different patterns, if that's your style. We just got the 'mirror' for the privacy and reflectiveness.

It truly IS a lot easier to put it on, than you think. A bit of Scotch-tape, the 'application spray' and a plastic scraper are all that's needed to install. Razor-blade to trim. Oh yeah, and scissors to cut to shape before peeling the film to stick on.
I had window film I think you are referring to as well once - back in 2008 it was like 50-75$ per roll and was also a 3M product, but I believe the laminate film is OP is discussing is entirely different (there is a security (frosted) product, a sun-protective product, a protective (shatter-resistant) product, and a combination product.

As an aside, be aware of which if any windows in your vehicles are not laminated, as glass breaks do not work well on laminated glass. After 2017, most windshield and passenger windows are laminated with only moonroof and rear windshields sometimes not being laminated. Laminated glass is of course protective in a crash, and keeping people in vehicles, but become a disadvantage real quick in those very rare episodes when doors don't open and exiting a vehicle quickly is life-or-death (water submersion; crashes with fire etc.)

MK20 -beat me to it.

Ok, on this topic I'm going to add a PSA - it really is worth watching and I happen to think what they do is awesome - they have recovered 16 bodies in a 2 years and in the past 2 months brought two veterans "home". I have to travel over water to do anything except food shopping, so I bought a few of their glass breaks at around 5$ each (great stocking stuffers and fits easily on key ring) which supports their noble cause. Good info. regardless:

Last edited:
Reactions: clcustom1911
Just keep in mind, it also keeps you from getting out should you need to. Especially bad idea for a car.

That may be true, but you clearly don't live in FL where tint is damn near mandatory on vehicles.
Otherwise, the A/C never catches up.

The biggest issue with tint on a home is the darkening effect and burning electricity to illuminate the inside.

Mirrored security film, without tint works pretty well though.

That may be true, but you clearly don't live in FL where tint is damn near mandatory on vehicles.

The biggest issue with tint on a home is the darkening effect and burning electricity to illuminate the inside.

I lived in Florida for a year with a vehicle that had no AC.

That’s mostly for the poors who are wanted by the donut squad and the other hoodlums, and have shittily maintained cars.

0 tint on mine, no issue heat wise 🤷‍♂️

That’s mostly for the poors who are wanted by the donut squad and the other hoodlums, and have shittily maintained cars.

0 tint on mine, no issue heat wise 🤷‍♂️
I like dark tint for a couple reasons. Heat rejection, privacy, cuts down on glare when driving.

I usually 20% all around, and 50% on the front windshield. If I didn’t live in commie state with yearly forced inspections, then I’d likely be darker.

Reactions: TurboTrout
I like dark tint for a couple reasons. Heat rejection, privacy, cuts down on glare when driving.

I usually 20% all around, and 50% on the front windshield. If I didn’t live in commie state with yearly forced inspections, then I’d likely be darker.

Even the cops here tint darker than allowed by law.

Maybe if you drove better/nicer, less people would be glaring at you. I'm just sayin'.....

HAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Merry Christmas!