• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

protein choice?

ChameleonCamo

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2010
las vegas
what do you guys take and how much?

right now i eat my body weight in whey protein a day. 3 shakes

gold standard- breakfast, lunch, before bed

wish i could do this
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X3nA2zqeX5Q"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X3nA2zqeX5Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: protein choice?

Right now I'm at 500g a day , mostly from chicken, egg whites and some fish I use very little protein powder.
If your using shakes as your only protein source you need to add some other sources like egg and beef so you get a better amino balance.

I find I get much better results from food over powders

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right now I'm at 500g a day , mostly from chicken, egg whites and some fish I use very little protein powder.
If your using shakes as your only protein source you need to add some other sources like egg and beef so you get a better amino balance.

I find I get much better results from food over powders </div></div>

maybe i should have clarified.

breakfast
shake
lunch
shake
dinner
shake

eggs beef and chicken are my main sources. But i burn so many calories/protein in a day. i find it that shakes after meals helps.

How are you getting 500g a day?

I use Isopure powder and Supreme Protein bars to supplement what I don't get in food.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Isopure powder and Supreme Protein bars to supplement what I don't get in food. </div></div>

how do you like the isopure? is it hard on your stomach? coin flipped std gold vs iso. gold one

I used Labrad lean body MRP's throughout the day. I use their Choc MRP's, and their Breakfast Blueberries and cream MRP.

For a quick shake, I use Gaspari Myofusion choc mint.

For bed time I use Xtreme formulations Ultra Peptide in choc.

I consume a decent amount of protein a day. I eat Sushi for lunch every day, and Orange roughy for dinner almost every night. I do love my steaks though. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChameleonCamo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Isopure powder and Supreme Protein bars to supplement what I don't get in food. </div></div>

how do you like the isopure? is it hard on your stomach? coin flipped std gold vs iso. gold one </div></div>
I like the juice form of Isopure protein. The ones that are already bottled..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moose72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used Labrad lean body MRP's throughout the day. I use their Choc MRP's, and their Breakfast Blueberries and cream MRP.

I consume a decent amount of protein a day. I eat Sushi for lunch every day, and Orange roughy for dinner almost every night. I do love my steaks though. lol

</div></div>

SUSHI EVERYDAY? expensive lol.

The Isopure doesn't taste that great in just water alone. I mix use the chocolate one and put it in my morning oatmeal. During the day, I just mix it in water and chug it. I really should get the juice ones for during the day. Doesn't bother my stomach at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">meat... lots of red BEEF, ELK, DEER, ANTELOPE!!! nothing better trust me. </div></div>

i have some elk left, no antelope finished that last month and deer out ying yang. Deer jerky is a staple in my house lol

Metabolic Drive is hands down the best protein I have experienced. From a numbers standpoint it is directly in the game with the best formulations out there but it absolutely kicks ass in mixability and taste.

Simple flavors and great results when mixing with just water in a shaker cup.

Look for a low heat processed whey protein concentrate.

500gm of protein a day is too much. It takes no where near that much to maintain a positive nitrogen balance. Eat to support your endocrine system which is what builds muscle, not just caloric content or high volume of an individual macronutrient.

stay away from EAS protien whey. i mixed it in a shaker bottle and you end up with little lumps of powder that dont mix.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChameleonCamo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
JJones75 said:
How are you getting 500g a day? </div></div>

I average 70-75g protein per meal , 7 meals a day also my fat content is around 150-175g per day via grass fed beef and eggs , only carbs are trace that may come from the odd hand full of almonds or several 2 cut servings of fresh spinach . This has me in a calorie deficit but not a nutrient deficit so it is possible to still maintain and possibly gain lean muscle while reducing body fat
This is not for everybody , it's what works for me. I agree that 500g of protein is generaly not needed for most people.

Whole milk is an awesome protein source by itself. I went from 190 to 230 while my squat went from 210-410 in about 6 months by drinking a gallon of milk a day and eating Paleo for the rest of the calories. I didn't need to supplement anything. And Milk is a heck of a lot cheaper than the latest supplement.

My approach has been actual food should be the priority and supplements are there for the days when you did not eat everything you should have. When you are training heavy, eating your bodyweight in grams of protein is a good place to start. If you find you are having trouble recovering, then eat more.

I'm a certified barbell coach so strength and power are my priorities when I'm training or advising others... having abs ain't
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChameleonCamo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moose72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used Labrad lean body MRP's throughout the day. I use their Choc MRP's, and their Breakfast Blueberries and cream MRP.

</div></div>

SUSHI EVERYDAY? expensive lol. </div></div>

I made friends with the local sea market people, so they treat me right.. lol..

I prepare it myself too, so that keeps the cost down.. I mostly eat Tuna and salmon, so I slice it thin and down the hatch it goes.. I eat the other raw fish when I go out.. If you can get some smoked sushi grade salmon get it, and add some cream cheese, it's heaven. lol

I make rolls sometimes, but mostly sashimi style for me..

I also make a mean seared ahi tuna steak, if you want the recipe let me know..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">meat... lots of red BEEF, ELK, DEER, ANTELOPE!!! nothing better trust me.</div></div>

The way my luck has been the last few years, I'd starve to death bahaha!

Syntha-6 Strawberry flavor. Remember to get most of your protein from eating! just because you drink 3 shakes of 50gms per serving a day doesnt meen you absorb that much. You will pee out what doesnt get absorbed. FOOD FOOD FOOD with some supplements. The leaner the meat the better. Bison, turkey, deer, chicken are good examples. Also if you already don't eat 6 vegetables and friuts day you should. Live enzymes and live food do wonders for the body.

I'm no expert, but I eat a lot of cottage cheese, along with beef, turkey, and whey protein shakes.

pro's use whey isolate- cleanest protein there is. no fat super low calorie.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pro's use whey isolate- cleanest protein there is. no fat super low calorie. </div></div>

Yep and it's easily digested and absorbed and done very quickly
Depending on what your looking for your shake to do depends on what the protein source comes from , some folks don't digest any dairy well and do much better on egg white protein or soy based proteins , and if your using a shake as a meal replacement then you want somthing in a whey shake to slow digestion some lime peanutbutter or add some casine protein to it.
I actualy cut all when out of my diet it close to shows because it actualy is absorbed so quickly that it will cause an insulin response similar to oatmeal so I use a blended protein that is 34%whey isolate , 33%egg white and 33% casine

I eat a minimum of 200% of my body weight in protein per day (in g/lb).

I follow a Paleolithic diet and get virtually ALL of my protein through food (by way of lean meats). Lot's of steaks, wild game, and chicken.

I use Isoflexx Whey protein powder PWO (post-workout). I mix the powder with raw milk on lifting (anaerobic) days and mix the powder with coconut water on my running (aerobic) workout days.

I get the 5 lb jugs from walmart it isnt the best powder out there but I get a deal on it for about 10 bucks a container
and with the economy like it is im trying to save alittle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varmint6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get the 5 lb jugs from walmart it isnt the best powder out there but I get a deal on it for about 10 bucks a container
and with the economy like it is im trying to save alittle
</div></div>

Be wary of off-brand protein powders. There was a study that was done not too long ago that pointed to levels of contaminants in protein powders (even some name brand ones).

Mercury, aluminum, lead and other metals were found.

I'll post the article when I get done digging.

I get all my protein from "True Protein" its the best quality i have found and the varity of flavors is amazing , you can even buy in bulk unflavored then use their flavor packets to mix flavors as needed. You can also add digestive enzymes , fats or carbs in differant ratios , blend whey with egg and beef or soy or about half a dozen other things.
their customer service is second to none
http://www.trueprotein.com/product_listings.aspx?cid=22&v=2

I usually go for any 100% Whey that is closest to 30 bucks for 5 lbs. Right now, it's Scivation from bodybuilding.com. You have to buy the 10lb bag.

I always hit deals at vitamin shoppe or 24 hour fitness when they are clearing inventory too.

I go with BSN Syntha Six; it's not too expensive and it tastes better than most other mixes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I go with BSN Syntha Six; it's not too expensive and it tastes better than most other mixes. </div></div>

Syntha 6 does taste great , but it does have significant amount of carbs and fats due to it being a meal replacement.

Seriously anybody interested in quality protein as well as several differant carbs and fats needs to check out true protein. Their premium chocolate peanutbutter cup flavor is the best tasting protein I have ever used .
Chocolate coconut is awsome too and you can buy a pound at a time.
They also carry Lean Beef Aminos (LBA's) for short , this are a very very easy way to add protein to your diet because you can add them to water or anything , it's a liquid about the consistency of Hershys syrup and comes in several flavors, I mix 4 tablespoons into 8oz of raw goat milk and it makes a complete meal that taste like melted ice-cream !!

This true protein looks like they are selling 25 lbs for 140 bucks? I like the idea of getting it in that kind of bulk.

I want to be sure I'm not screwing this up. It says 1 lb has 15 servings at 24 grams each scoop?

So there are 375 servings of 24 grams in each 25lb bag of the recession whey?

If that is correct, I am all over this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slippery_Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This true protein looks like they are selling 25 lbs for 140 bucks? I like the idea of getting it in that kind of bulk.

I want to be sure I'm not screwing this up. It says 1 lb has 15 servings at 24 grams each scoop?

If that is correct, I am all over this. </div></div>

Yep that accurate , it comes unflavored so you need to clairify what flavor you want and that will cost a little extra or what i do it buy the flavor packets and mix a little at a time so you don't get burned out on one flavor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slippery_Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This true protein looks like they are selling 25 lbs for 140 bucks? I like the idea of getting it in that kind of bulk.

If that is correct, I am all over this. </div></div>

Yep that accurate , it comes unflavored so you need to clairify what flavor you want and that will cost a little extra or what i do it buy the flavor packets and mix a little at a time so you don't get burned out on one flavor </div></div>

What flavor packets? I'm all about cheaper protein powder, that shit is expensive.

Amen to that. I've been drinking that stuff for so long, I don't even taste it anymore, or I hate the taste. If I got one that tasted like nothing, it would be a welcome change.
grin.gif

A min. of 200 grams per day. Mostly from egg whites ( best source of protein)2 cans of tuna, lean red meat, chicken, and turkey.

And good ole skim milk.

I use the GNC Whey Isolate 28 between meals, or when I cant eat appropriately.

Chicken breast, egg whites, tuna, lean beef, and veggies.

Although, I find it hard to get above 160gr or so; feels like I'm cramming my stomach when I try to take in my body weight in protein. (214lbs)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldirtdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any of you guys have experience with the Optimum Nutrition whey? </div></div>
I like all of ON products, I use procomplex during gain cycle, and whey during cutting. They offer a military discount and package/manufacture everything in house. Other companies like muscletech and BSN have other manufactures make the mixes and then ship them to another company for packaging. I believe that you get a much better quality product using ON. I try to limit supplemental protein usage to 1/3 of my overall protein intake. No science to that just found that I get better results that way.

Optimum got cought up in the whole "filler adding" BS years ago and its given them a little bit of a bad rap , but now days they have a decient product.

I still prefer the quality from True Protein as i know im getting 100% whey isolate when i buy it cause whey concentrate give me awfull gas cramps.

Muscle Tech sells pure shit , their protein is the exact same shit that Wal-Mart sells in their "Six Star" line. I know 3 Muscle Tech sponsered body builders that do not use ANY of their produtcs

BSN also makes a decient line of stuff

I use this new (or at least new to me) protein called Intek Evolution Protein. Its a blend which your body doesn't metabolize immediately. I'm no doctor but I've been told it keeps your body from being overloaded with protein (theres a limit to how much you can digest in a given time) so you don't just piss it out.

34g protein, 2g carbs, and 160 calories. Thats the best ratio I've found (protein/calories). I know it is expensive ($70/5lbs) but luckily my local shop buys it in bulk and its 45 bucks.

I take 2 scoops 3 times a day (morning, post workout, bedtime).

Based on JJones reccomendations, I have purchased an assortment of true protein products to try out. Nothing big, just 1 or 2 pounds of 4 or 5 different products. Looking forward to it.