• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Prototype Combat Knife--Check it out...

ceylonc

Eberlestock Dealer
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2006
Memphis, TN
P1140353Medium_zps6d7c6ed1.jpg

Hey guys,

I had an interesting meeting with a knife maker last week & am hoping to get some advice, opinions, etc regarding his product. Some of you may know that deltaoutdoorsman.com is slowly expanding into the knife arena, and while I'm learning about the hierarchy, industry dynamics, and players in this product segment, I have a LONG way to go. So, when this individual approached me about marketing & selling these knives, I was both honored & a touch intimidated as these knives are unlike any others I've seen.

Here are some details regarding the knife & the designer...

The manufacturer is also the designer, who has an extensive background as a Master Metalsmith and knife builder. Prior to his current full time profession as Knife Maker, he was a Plank Holder with TF 123 (and I'm not talking Airsoft here!). The idea for this knife was hatched in 1985 due to operational need(s), so a lot of time & thought has gone into it's design, construtction, etc.

I have a PROTOTYPE in my possession and all I can say is this is one robust, BAD ASS knife! The actual production version is a couple of weeks away but what you see in these pics is 99% of what will be available with the production model. The one major difference is the scales will be a graphite black color, instead of the ceracote coyote seen in the pics here (the coyote scales will be an option next year). According to the designer, the tip will penetrate soft body armor and carries a lifetime warranty. There are THREE unique cutting edges/angles to the blade, which you can see in the pics (one at the tanto point, one at the blade that runs the middle third, and the last at the lower third). It will come with a molle compatible sheath.

Here is where the rubber this the road for me...

This knife is designed to be used hard by professionals in the field. The designer has "been there, done that" in the operational sense, and knows that a good knife can sometimes be the difference in whether you come home or not. I don't have the experience to judge his creation, and am hoping to get you thoughts, imput, and opinions as to whether you think I should invest in this model. The retail price point is tentatively going to be somewhere between $600-$700, as the knife is hand made and a limited production of less than 50 a month.

So, what do you think? Good, bad, ugly.

Thanks for looking
Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com
**NOTE: The pics were taken by me with a digital camera I have on hand. If I move forward, a pro will have the opportunity to shoot it's pics. My camera simply does NOT do this knife justice, it is MUCH nicer & impressive in person...

P1140360Medium_zps436814c2.jpg

P1140359Medium_zps5ecf5ac4.jpg

P1140358Medium_zps46e3cf89.jpg

P1140357Medium_zps4d72f976.jpg

P1140356Medium_zpsf110cd11.jpg

P1140355Medium_zps2a234f1a.jpg

P1140354Medium_zpsc63c9822.jpg

Re: Prototype Combat Knife--Check it out...

Knife looks great love the guard on it. Tanto blades
Are super strong. What type of steel are you going to use?

I do have to ask about the price point? 600-700 is alot for a fighting blade
I would guess names strider, busse, reeve, Spartan will be your main competitors with a price point 300-500.

Now with that said if are going hard use colletable blade and have a very well known bladesmith like Edmund davidson( he has a 2 year waiting list some blade are $1500-$2000) to put is name on it then you will sell them all. Or if you have a well know operator dick marcinko(like strider did) to endorse it would help had value

Looks good, but at a $600-$700 price with that design we really shouldn't be seeing a secondary bevel. I'd say realistically the $200-$400 range would be more acceptable.

I think you are going to have issues with a new name in the market attempting to get $600-700 for a tool.

I am not going to pick the knife apart. I am just going to suggest that you take a look at the competition and compare.

The one knife I have that is in the price range you are suggesting was build specifically for fighting by a master bladesmith. It's laminated, forged steel in the style of Japanese bladesmiths and wears figured ironwood scales. I don't even want to know how many hours it took to make.

I have a Strider that is half your estimated price that is an excellent design for a fighting/field knife.

Also at half the target price is a Woods Hide Fighter. The Hide Fighter is probably the best comparison although the blade profile is different. Steve Woods' workmanship is spectacular. Try as I might, I cannot find an error on this knife. The only drawback to it is that it's a little heavy for a true "knife fighting" knife.

The prototype above looks really cool, but there are several features on it that would make it difficult to use as a fighting knife or as a utility knife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a1-equipment</div><div class="ubbcode-body">600-700 is alot for a fighting blade
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good, but at a $600-$700 price</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you are going to have issues with a new name in the market attempting to get $600-700 for a tool.</div></div>

No offense meant from me either, but I can buy Randalls for maybe less. That just happens to be my preferred brand, but at this price it may be hard to jump into the market.

That secondary bevel is nasty in a bad way. There is no way I would drop over $500 for a knife ground like that.

check out this web site. There is an entire portal on Tactical knives and allkinds of information about what goes into a knife...lots of bugs have already been worked out..

http://www.jayfisher.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ceylonc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
P1140360Medium_zps436814c2.jpg

</div></div>

WTF? What am I missing here? That grind is complete ****.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ceylonc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The retail price point is tentatively going to be somewhere between $600-$700, as the knife is hand made and a limited production of less than 50 a month.
</div></div>

You won't have anywhere near 50 orders a month, and that's probably maxing out the one-man show anyway.

The manufacturer is also the designer ... The idea for this knife was hatched in 1985 due to operational need(s), so a lot of time & thought has gone into it's design, construtction, etc.
</div></div>

Be a friend to your 80s "operator" buddy. Tell him not to throw away any of his money trying to get this thing past the prototype.

I was both honored & a touch intimidated

a lot of time & thought has gone into it's design

This knife is designed to be used hard by professionals in the field

I don't have the experience to judge his creation

So, what do you think? Good, bad, <span style="color: #FF0000">ugly</span>.
</div></div>

Stick with backpacks.

This is GREAT advice guys! Really appreciate your help. Keep the ideas & opinions flowing.

One thing to remember, this is a "proof of concept" prototype model. Everything that is volunteered here is helping me understand this market segment & is MUCH appreciated. In a lot of ways, I really don't know what I'm looking at here...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
WTF? What am I missing here? That grind is complete ****.</div></div>

Nothing. I was trying to be nice.

i work with fighting knives Alot, and have designed a few. Why is the guard that way?? that is definitely a drawback to the design IMHO. I agree with all of the other comments on the grind and price bracket. I have some market resistance to selling my knives at $350 unless the person is schooled in Silat or a FMA and realizes the merits of the design. Good luck but I'd suggest some serious refinements are in order.

The first thing that popped out to me is the design on the bolster... that looks like a big hindrance to me, but I'm NO expert either. To me the grip looks a bit too narrow to be used rough and not make your hand sore. I don't mean to be a dick but the grind looks horrible and looks like it would be a bitch to re-sharpen. Lastly, the price point is going to push so many customers away from it. It might be a $200 knife with a lot of refinement.

For me, the price would be prohibitive. I take my ESEE 5 downrange and that's served me well for 1/3 of the price. To be competitive, the price would have to drop significantly.

As an aside, I think you're very wise to be using the Hide to get consumer data and feedback before you move on a project. This community is a vast untapped resource to people wanting feedback on rifles, knives, ammo, etc.

It looks unwieldy and unspectacular (which is to say that the designer is trying too hard to make it look spectacular), and as others have said, it isn't a $600-$700 knife. I'd lose the ridiculous design elements on the guard and reshape the bolsters to aid in grip and retention, as well as drop the point a bit. The grind is amateurish at best. Don't throw money down this avenue, for sure.

Like many others have said, it scares me that the grind is that horrendous, and that's on the prototype. I wouldn't want to see what the grinds on the production blades would look like.

I agree with the comments regarding price point.

Having made a lot of my own gear, sold a few designs and made prototypes until I was exhausted, I'm going to give this designer the benefit of the doubt on the grind. I'm fairly certain the grind is a result of constantly changing dimensions, incorporating new ideas, etc. I seriously doubt that he intends to sell a knife with that type of edge on it. It is a concept knife after all.

really,for that kind of money, I rather try to find a vintage U.S.1918 marked fighting knife_ and if ever can happen I would "see the elephant",I can go out with style,if not all...
smile.gif

Here is a breakdown of all the problems as I see them:

The grip is far too flat and thin, it would be like holding a ruler.

The grind is horrendous. The secondary bevel is quite awful.

The point is not dropped nearly enough. In other words, the point-most edge is approaching flat at a stabbing target, there is not nearly enough taper to allow proper stabbing.

The guard is squarish and looks quite uncomfortable. And also does not appear to facilitate "choking up" on it.

The end of the tang (where a pommel would be on some knives/daggers), while it looks cool scares me a little. If I was carrying a knife with such a design, I would constantly be nervous of it poking a hole in me. Also, because there is no flat surface here, it greatly lowers the utilitarian usefulness of the knife. I can't hammer on the end if I need to (and I have had occasion in the past to need to).

Lastly, also with regards to the tang/bolsters, they need to taper some. The square shape in addition to the flatness will make this very uncomfortable for heavy use.

Price would be an issue for me as well, I got my crusader forge oberland for ~400 and it has been the best knife I've ever owned, even prefer it over my hinderer. Can't see dropping more than $400 on something practical after that.

Does it have a name if it was to go into production, if not can I suggest a couple. Maybe "Muzzbie3000" or "Muzz Army knife"

Just ideas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muhdiksa Burnin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it have a name if it was to go into production, if not can I suggest a couple. Maybe "Muzzbie3000" or "Muzz Army knife"

Just ideas </div></div>

Muzz's urologist likes the little skullcrusher dongle on the bottom. He says that it serves nicely to readjust his narrow urethra.

crazy.gif

I am not a knife professional but have just recently got into buying high(er) end knives. About a month ago I bought a Spartan Ares for around $300. I am blown away by the quality of the knife in all aspects. I can not see how the knife above could match my Spartan Ares or any of their knives and at more than double the price. If you are just getting into high(er) end knives like I am I would def pass on his knife. Maybe if it went through a bunch of revisions and the price point was cut by at least %50 or more then it might be workable. In my opinion its not really a viable design as it is considering all the funky designs incorporated into it at the moment.

This. That's a $80 knife, at most - with walmart style over actual useful features. Get on bladeforums and look around, you'll find much better designs at much better price points. You'd end up eating these even at $120.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you are going to have issues with a new name in the market attempting to get $600-700 for a tool.

I am not going to pick the knife apart. I am just going to suggest that you take a look at the competition and compare.

The one knife I have that is in the price range you are suggesting was build specifically for fighting by a master bladesmith. It's laminated, forged steel in the style of Japanese bladesmiths and wears figured ironwood scales. I don't even want to know how many hours it took to make.

I have a Strider that is half your estimated price that is an excellent design for a fighting/field knife.

Also at half the target price is a Woods Hide Fighter. The Hide Fighter is probably the best comparison although the blade profile is different. Steve Woods' workmanship is spectacular. Try as I might, I cannot find an error on this knife. The only drawback to it is that it's a little heavy for a true "knife fighting" knife.

The prototype above looks really cool, but there are several features on it that would make it difficult to use as a fighting knife or as a utility knife. </div></div>

Ceylon,
This design? No way, no how at any price. Dont put your name and money in this design if that is where you were going. I just have to ask, what did the designer tell you that dingleberry eye pokey catch on everything around you thing is actually there for on the bolster? Would you drop and roll with that thing attached to you?

There are so many functional knife designs on the market today that it makes it impossible to say there is one "the best". That also makes it a pretty saturated market to show up with a no name at the price point you are talking about, regardless of the individuals personal history and especially in this economy. As you look at the successful custom makers out there, you will see more simplicity and less clutter in the designs.

As far as being a prototype. Proof of concept or not, a prototype that is shown to the buying public needs to be of the highest quality possible. First impressions are the ones a discerning ($600.00 knife that will probably never be used...) buyer will remember. Things like uneven points, wavy, rolled over and uneven blade edges produced by poor hand filing stand out and say low quality.

Best regards,
DS

Ceylon, I've bought a lot of stuff from you. I'll sum up my thoughts from what I see!! Don't do it bro!!!

I would not either - as everyone on the Hide knows Boker, Coty Handley, Fehrman, Bark River, Esee, Reeves......etc. A Known source and quality - and their prices are FAR Short of the said price and actually look like something.

This knife looks like someone found a shank of ar500, ground on it for a bit, the added some G10 grips and called it good. Looks extremely non 'ergonomic' , like grabbing a hershey bar.

Unsure of the design of the "hilt/cross guard", but my mind hasn't found a reason for its 'unique' design.

think enough said by all - look at the competition and top tier builders, and their prices. The whole pkg of those builders destroys this knife in every category.

Invest more wisely - drink XX

Ceylon,

Ill be honest, given the quality of that blade @ 600 bucks even it were priced neck and neck with a Zero Tolerance, I would pick the ZT everyday and twice on Sundays.

That thing looks like shit, the grind on the blade is terrible, the belt sander marks are unsightly, the eye poker is a terrible "addition", the overall workmanship is not very good. It looks akin to me trying to make a knife.

I'm not a knife connoisseur, but that is just ugly.

Plus, as stated, the build quality is junk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolf22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">This knife looks like someone found a shank of ar500, ground on it for a bit, the added some G10 grips and called it good. Looks extremely non 'ergonomic' , like grabbing a hershey bar.</span>

</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yep, that sums it up. If he decides to continue with his new business venture, he should be warned that the competition is stiff for his type of custom product. How is he going to compete with this? It's only $500.00.</span>

lawn_mower_blade_knife.jpg

My Benchmade Nimravus was $140 and looks a lot like the one above. I don't see how a knife can get much better than the Nimravus, but I don't know much about knives.

So what's the difference between my $140 knife and a $500 knife, or a $1500 knife??

What warrants a $500+ price tag?

http://www.benchmade.com/products/141

Keith,

Surely you are kidding. Let's put this in a way you might understand it. What warrants a custom rifle costing $4000 vs a Remington costing $900? The time put in by the maker, knowledge of the maker, cost of materials used, reputation of said maker. Or maybe you should just sell you custom rifles for the same price as a Remington. I would probably buy a few.
wink.gif

I am not saying Ceylon should go with this product because I would not support it. On the other hand I do have some high end knives that I feel are worth the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith Johns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Benchmade Nimravus was $140 and looks a lot like the one above. I don't see how a knife can get much better than the Nimravus, but I don't know much about knives.

So what's the difference between my $140 knife and a $500 knife, or a $1500 knife??

http://www.benchmade.com/products/141</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith,

Surely you are kidding. Let's put this in a way you might understand it. What warrants a custom rifle costing $4000 vs a Remington costing $900? The time put in by the maker, knowledge of the maker, cost of materials used, reputation of said maker. Or maybe you should just sell you custom rifles for the same price as a Remington. I would probably buy a few.
wink.gif

I am not saying Ceylon should go with this product because I would not support it. On the other hand I do have some high end knives that I feel are worth the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith Johns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Benchmade Nimravus was $140 and looks a lot like the one above. I don't see how a knife can get much better than the Nimravus, but I don't know much about knives.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/141</div></div> </div></div>

What kind of response is that? Keith asks an honest question and gets flamed for knowing nothing? How many people have honestly asked you why your rifle is worth $4000? At one time, I didn't know what made a custom rifle worth it.

Keith,

I have a nimravus and it is a good knife and have used it for many years. I also have a cold steel recon tanto that has served me well. However, neither is near the quality of the Dawson I picked up earlier this year. What is the difference? Better steel, better design, easier to hold onto. It can be hard to describe, but when you pick up a quality custom knife, you just know. I am not a knife expert, but these are my observations.

After I read what you wrote I can see how it came across as smart ass or a dig towards Keith. I didn't mean it to be. Although I did figure that someone in the custom rifle business would get the custom sides of other business'. And I have had numerous people ask what makes a custom rifle cost so much. Probably more than ten but less than twenty have asked.

Eddie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith,

wink.gif

http://www.benchmade.com/products/141</div></div> </div></div>

What kind of response is that? Keith asks an honest question and gets flamed for knowing nothing? How many people have honestly asked you why your rifle is worth $4000? At one time, I didn't know what made a custom rifle worth it.

Keith,

I have a nimravus and it is a good knife and have used it for many years. I also have a cold steel recon tanto that has served me well. However, neither is near the quality of the Dawson I picked up earlier this year. What is the difference? Better steel, better design, easier to hold onto. It can be hard to describe, but when you pick up a quality custom knife, you just know. I am not a knife expert, but these are my observations. </div></div>

I haven't abused my Nimravus yet, so I haven't tested the steels quality.

The feel of the knife, I don't really understand how a higher price means its better, unless the handle is custom made for the buyer himself. I honestly think the Nimravus feels perfect in my hand. So why pay more for anything other than a custom(fit to MY hands) handle? Quality is a factor and goes without saying... but my Benchmade's handle aint breakin.

I LOVE Mcmillan rifles. Not picking on them here... but they sell a knife in the $5-600 range that I dont think Id pay $100 for just by looking at it.

How much better is the blade on a $600 knife than on my Nimravus?
Im not trying to cut trees down with it. Or cut through copper pipe.

Just Miles of rope, plstic, leather, etc. And maybe a neck if ever need be. Would a $600 blade just cut WAYY more ropes and necks??
smile.gif

I understand throwing knives need a different steel so they wont brake or chip. And I understand there are high and low grrades of steel.

But I really need to see in person why any knife is worth $600+
Could have 4 Nimravus's for that and be SUPER tactical
smile.gif

Im joking a little above about the necks and shit. But really, school me on blade steel. I will listen.

My Tikka's and my Remington's shoot great and have never failed me in any way either. But I bet there are some custom smith's who are glad I purchased their product's for more money. It's all about the individual and the choices we make. Honda's are great cars, but people have to have BMW's, Mercedes and the like. Does it mean they are better? Not in my opinion.

Enjoy your Nimravus! If it serves you well and you are happy with it, then so be it.

Eddie

2504036057_4c55da9408.jpg

pic1.jpg

I've abused mine beyond belief. I have a lot more expensive knives but this is the one I actually abuse.

oh yeah, they cost $100.00.

Sorry, but no. Besides I'm just not a Tonto blade fan, the style isn't me and the price is waaaay out there.

I'm no knife pro but do buy carefully. My Woods Hide Hunter serves me well as a "custom" and I have a drawer full of Benchmades that serve equally as well for their intended purposes. Does this make them better than custom knives? No...... But for what the pictured knife had to show & offer to me, not in my book.

I'm not sure, I do spend a good amount of time on Bladeforums though. You can get any info knife related there that you want.
And best of all, its free.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith Johns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a knife blade book for dummies that isn't too expensive?</div></div>

Just spit balling but that price is beyond prohibitive. I can buy a Benchmade with my choice of blade material, points, grips, etc for less than half that AND I get a discount.

A knife is a tool, if marketed as a hard use tool, a high price is a put off. If you marketed this as a collectors piece, okay, sure... People spend bucks on stuff that has a custom production run and its going to sit in a safe.

If you want to market it to guys kicking in doors in the Stans or cops prying door locks, or whoever the intended audience is... Realize its going to get banged up. Nobody wants to spend 700 on something that is going to get banged up.

I wouldn't pay $70 for that, but that's just one grunt's opinion.

First, I am not a tanto blade fan. Save it for a katana sword where it belongs. As far as blade designs, Go with a good drop point or a modified kukuri like the Zero Tolerance 0100.

Tip design is important, but most of the guys deployed that I have spoken to dont really complain about tip breakage on their issued knives.

The guard on that thing is a snag magnet. Less obtrusive and rounded/beveled is better. Having the spine side flat is good if you have to hammer on it to split wood.

I do not like the pommel. Having another edge/point on the back of the knife invites personal injury. Nothing wrong with an exposed pommel. If you want to have something for glass breaking/skull cracking, something squared or multiangled would do the same.

As far as the complaints on the finish? Hey, its a prototype. Final production, I assume, would be better. But you have to remember, when you want to present a new product, you want your prototype to look like the final product.

Wow, considering the fit and finish, I would have to say no. I'm not into large knives , in fact I find that the shorter bladed fixed knives are much more handy. That thing just looks unwieldy, and rather useless. Not for me.....

Considering what-all else is available out there, including the Hide Fighter, there is/are so many other and better options out there, for the dollar-value.

The only thing this knife is missing, in my opinion, is a compass on the pommel.