• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Barrel length for 6.5 Creedmoor

Craig Brown

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2023
Tigard, Oregon
I am in the process of having a PRS centerfire rifle built. Been shooting PRS and NRL 22 with a Rim X on a 25” 1.20” straight taper. Would like feedback on barrel length for a 6.5 Creedmoor. What length and contour barrel would you suggest?

24 to 26 inches max. M24 or Heavy varmint. Manufacturers all use different names. Basically 1.25x5” shank tapering to just under an inch at the finished length. Straight 1.25 is too much, in my opinion.

24 works good for 6.5, in my opinion and that’s what I would go with.

Reactions: Craig Brown
24 to 26 inches max. M24 or Heavy varmint. Manufacturers all use different names. Basically 1.25x5” shank tapering to just under an inch at the finished length. Straight 1.25 is too much, in my opinion.

24 works good for 6.5, in my opinion and that’s what I would go with.
Which brake are you running?

APA Lil Bastard until I got sick of the noise. Suppressed ever since, mostly.

But, on other rifles, ACE and Hawkins. Both highly recommended.

I had a 26" on mine last year when I ran the 6.5 creed, with a 419 hellfire brake. Not sure of the exact profile, but it tapered down to .910" at the muzzle. It balanced perfectly right in front of the magwell with no weights in the ACC.

I have exactly what @OREGUN recommends, and I’m finding I want a little more free balance. My next barrel is a 26” MTU, so longer and heavier.

It’s either free 50 FPS or a lower pressure load for my current MV, plus the free contributions to balance. Lots of opinions out there about balance being important or frivolous distraction; this one is mine :)

26” heavy varmint taper/ mtu/ m24. My next will be a straight taper however.

Last year for the last few matches and the local finale, I ran a 26” proof comp contour with an ACE brake. Absolutely loved it. This year it’ll be a 26” heavy varmint barrel with a TMB.

DSC_4970.jpeg

If you’re running a brake and not a suppressor then I’d go with 26-28.

My 26” MTU still need weights to balance and they still are a little butt heavy. My 26” Proof Comp balances better. My 28” Heavy Varmint is perfect.

Getting the extra 2” in to a small port does take a little more focus but not bad

All my rifles are 27-28" for PRS. Free weight and speed. I really like the heavy comp contour but will be trying out a 1.250 straight in 25 cm soon.

Sounds like I‘m getting away with short barrels by hanging a suppressor out on the end.

I have run 28" barrels on my match 6.5 Creedmoors since 2008 and continue. As mentioned it's free velocity and weight out front. It's the length the round was developed with and when I was going to start shooting it I spoke with Dave Emery, who was a developer of the cartridge, and he recommended the 28" barrel and I went with it and stuck with it. No down side especially in today's matches where people want more weight.

For contour, that will be a personal preference but I wouldn't go under M24 at this point and heavier isn't bad as long as it doesn't get so heavy it slows you down in transitions.