• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Build - Actions

vanjansen

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2021
Quebec
Hi All,

I am starting to plan out a PRS rifle build. I have decided on the stock and will be running a MDT ESS Chassis

Looking for some advice on custom actions. Actions I am looking at that falls in my budget:
Bighorn Origin
ARC Nucleus
Defiance Tenacity

Or the budget option:
Tikka T3X
Remington trued action

Please share your experiences with these

Also open to any other brands that falls in the same price range

Thanks in advance

Tenacity Origin or nucleus. The Tikkas and Remingtons are fine platforms however I’ve stopped using them unless they’re really cheap. The reason is because it costs as much to bring them up to the level of a custom as a custom action costs.
I have a few tenacity actions and they’re great. My buddy has the big horn origin and they’re sweet too. Of course I recommend the tenacity but any of the ones you mentioned will be fine. The big horn tl3 looks interesting also with its ability to change bolt heads. That’s not really important, and probably just snake oil. I know defiance sells extra bolts, and I’m sure the others will too, so that gives you options later on without the additional expense up front.
Keep your eyes on the px. You can find new and like new stuff with good savings.
Good luck brother and happy shooting

bighorn origin, and you can swap out the bolt heads on it whenever you want to try something new. I dont know if the other two actions have swapable bolt heads. But ive been pretty happy with my origin.
You gotta get a different bolt for the tenacity, they’re one piece bolts. I think being able to swap to a different case size is a nice option but not very important up front. Go back later on and buy a different bolt head or bolt if you want. I just looked and the origin’s extra bolt head is less expensive than a tenacity’s bolt. However it got me wondering if anyone has had any problems with the 2 piece design? Unless that’s been problem with origin actions, and I’ve never heard anything bad about them, I’d go with the origin. It’s a better buy.

Reactions: vanjansen
I'm a big fan of the Nucleus. I wouldn't go with a Rem 700 unless you get it for real cheap as prefits aren't an option without the barrel nut. You might throw Mack Bros in the mix, great action for a great price but availability is tough.

Bighorn. The swapable bolt heads work and are not snake oil. No need to do anything but a quick swap of the bolt head and barrel to be into another caliber. No worrying about headspace. It's $125 for the new bolthead.

I was open to anything at any price-point when on the hunt for a new action myself recently and ended up with an Origin even though I was ready and willing to spend more.

I tried pretty much everything out there, and after playing with all of them and learning a few things about what I prefer, the Origin was it, it just happened to be one of the least expensive. I had no idea I prefer a swept handle, but apparently I do, and since Big Horn changed the Origin to all stainless a while back (they used to be a chromoly receiver), the Origin is now pretty much the same as their higher-tier TL-3, just with a swept handle and pinned lug instead of an integral lug (no big deal to me).

Might sound strange, but what sealed the deal for me is that the more recent Origin's are setup with the correct cocking-piece to be timed perfectly with a TriggerTech Diamond right out of the box... there's zero cock-on-close, and the bolt-lift while cocking the action is as about as light as anything else out there I've had a chance to try (I'm talking Impact/Lone Peak-like benchrester-guy Panda/Kelbly territory... it's pretty nice, and not just "for the money").

I wasn't really looking to save money on the action, but at "only" $875, the savings is significant: I was able to snag a Proof prefit for it for $450... so seeing as I was planning on ~$1400 for an action only, it's kind of like getting the first barrel for free.

That said, the Nuke and Tenacity seem like great actions as well, as has already been said, you can't go wrong with any of them really.

Thanks all for your input! So seems there is a lot of love for the bighorn. Features seems to be on par between origin and nucleus and as far as I can tell both would be great for a starter build

Thanks all for your input! So seems there is a lot of love for the bighorn. Features seems to be on par between origin and nucleus and as far as I can tell both would be great for a starter build
I got a couple origins, my cousin has a nucleus.
Both are great. Basically the same feature set and everything between them. What one does the other can do as well.

I just default to origin since its cheaper and thats it basically. If all else is equal thats the only difference I could appreciate.

Last edited:
There are very few differences between the Origin and Nuke. Some make a difference, some don't.

Origin has a 90* opening with lighter bolt lift. Nuke is 80* opening so there is more clearance with the bolt knob and scope.
Origin has feed lips if you wanted to run a BDL. Nuke must run detachable mags.
Origin uses a t slot extractor, Nuke uses a claw.
Origin has a fluted bolt body. Nuke does not.
Origin has swept handle. Nuke is straight.
Origin needs a different recoil lug to be compatible with the TL3. Nuke tennon specs are the same across all actions.
Origin has a 20 MOA rail. Nuke has options for rail inclination

I do think we have a consensus. TBPH I was leaning towards the Origin. Price wise they are very close up here in Canada and a local dealer has both in stock.

I have a couple of savage barrels and hence wanted to stay with the savage pre-fit small shank thread tenon.

So another question:

What trigger would be recommended? On that I am open to all compatible triggers.

I do think we have a consensus. TBPH I was leaning towards the Origin. Price wise they are very close up here in Canada and a local dealer has both in stock.

I have a couple of savage barrels and hence wanted to stay with the savage pre-fit small shank thread tenon.

So another question:

What trigger would be recommended? On that I am open to all compatible triggers.
I prefer bix n andy but I also have a tt diamond and its pretty great too. Its had to find an aftermarket trigger these days that suck.

Do you like 1 or 2 stage triggers?

I only have experience with 2 stage triggers

What you like for trigger stage is a personal preference. I personally like single stage. I don’t like take up. I want to know the trigger will go off when o press it. Some like two stage. Use what you like.

I only have experience with 2 stage triggers
Well the Bix and TTdiamond both have two stage versions. Between those would be my suggestion if you can pony up 250 for a trigger.
I use a single stage in both flavors so I cant expound on the two stage differences much. I want to say that the TT has a shorter first stage travel from what I can recall reading but thats subject to my memory lol
So itll be sort of subjective to likes and desires, Ill let someone else expound.

Well the Bix and TTdiamond both have two stage versions. Between those would be my suggestion if you can pony up 250 for a trigger.
I use a single stage in both flavors so I cant expound on the two stage differences much. I want to say that the TT has a shorter first stage travel from what I can recall reading but thats subject to my memory lol
So itll be sort of subjective to likes and desires, Ill let someone else expound.
Can’t compare it to a BnA, but I can confirm that the TT 2-stage has a noticeably shorter first stage takeup than my Howa HACT set up to my tastes. Not a deal breaker, just took some adjusting to.

Check out the Mack Brothers Evo SS. I have one for my back up rifle and I’m quite happy with it. It will accept Remage barrels too!

Reactions: Secant
Check out the Mack Brothers Evo SS. I have one for my back up rifle and I’m quite happy with it. It will accept Remage barrels too!
Availability seems to be an issue here in Canada. I just checked and they are out of stock everywhere

I do not like single stage triggers, and I have not messed with a Trigger Tech trigger.

My favorite are the CG-Extreme, Bix N Andy, and the best is an Anschutz 22LR trigger and having some kind of master gun weirdo perform a spell on it so it will fit on a 700 bottomed action by using a trigger hangar.

I do not like Geissle or Huber two stage triggers. They are ok, and the Geissle is really tough but compared to a CG-Extreme or Bix it feels like it is made of pot metal and there is sand in it.

If I was a single stage guy I would probably get a Bix single stage. The only complain I have with Bix is that the older ones are really fussy about being cleaned much like a Jewell.

I am going to try a Trigger Tech two stage next time. They make a higher quality one for about $50-80 more. Doubt it will be what a CG Extreme or Bix is, but if it is better than the Geissle or Huber it will be great.

If I needed a two stage and wanted a really tough trigger I'd get the Geissle, but the experience is going to be more like picking up a 7 in a bar who is 20 pounds over weight than the CG or Bix where you get a hot chick who doesn't have kids.

If your chassis will fit it, look hard at the Tubb T7T. I don't like 2 stage triggers at all but was a fan of the T7T

Why is the Kelbly Atlas Tac never mentioned in these conversations? I understand it doesn’t have the ability to swap bolt heads, but the tiny bit I’ve messed with an Atlas or an Origin I was more impressed with the Atlas.. I wish someone would light up the Prometheus thread, those Kelbly boys seem like they are straight up! To the OP: I would just get an Impact, it will be cheaper in the long run..

Why is the Kelbly Atlas Tac never mentioned in these conversations? I understand it doesn’t have the ability to swap bolt heads, but the tiny bit I’ve messed with an Atlas or an Origin I was more impressed with the Atlas.. I wish someone would light up the Prometheus thread, those Kelbly boys seem like they are straight up! To the OP: I would just get an Impact, it will be cheaper in the long run..
Curious as to how the Impact will be cheaper in the long run?

If the op is anything like me, I settle for something that I know isn’t exactly what I want but is a bit cheaper at the time and when the newness wears off it gets sold and then I buy what I should have bought in the first place..I have wine tastes on a beer budget

Reactions: Bluesman
If the op is anything like me, I settle for something that I know isn’t exactly what I want but is a bit cheaper at the time and when the newness wears off it gets sold and then I buy what I should have bought in the first place..I have wine tastes on a beer budget

That doesn't fit in this conversation. Not like he is being told to buy a Mossberg to build off of. The Impact will save him no more in the long run than buying one of the other customs.

Nuke.

Most of this discussion is subjective, but the Nuke has a better feature set and is a more robust action if you ask me. I also think they run slicker than the Origin. Especially the run & gun PRS style shooting.

Defiance is great machining but I still think the Nuke handles dirt/sand/etc. better, has a better extractor, CRF, etc.

Reactions: 357Max
What matters to me is the customer service. All companies will have a dud from time to time, how they handle customers is important to me. Heck, a lot of companies have used Covid as the excuse for their shitty CS.

With that being said @Zermatt Arms is top notch. Every time I have emailed I have gotten a response quickly, even after business hours. Every time I have called it was answered by a human within a few rings. I have NEVER had to leave a message, EVER. To me that is more important than what action I choose. They are anxious to help their customers. I have been personally told by them that they value their customers because they realize it is the customers that keep them in business. A lot of businesses do not share this view any more.

I have had problems with other manufacturers that used every excuse they could to avoid admitting there was a problem.

Reactions: CK1.0 and Rob01
That doesn't fit in this conversation. Not like he is being told to buy a Mossberg to build off of. The Impact will save him no more in the long run than buying one of the other customs.
Fair enough, I think there’s a few folks here that could understand what I was getting at.. I did see another Impact suggestion.

Fair enough, I think there’s a few folks here that could understand what I was getting at.. I did see another Impact suggestion.

Leaving it open like you did made it look like he would be left wanting with any of the custom choices and that the Impact would save him money somehow. Neither is true. Just trying to clarify for the OP to help his decision.

ETA a little example. The Origin is $875 and the Impact is $1390. He is $515 in the black with the Origin and that can go for a trigger and part of a barrel and he still has an excellent action which he won't need to sell and in his price range.

Yeah, I don't think anyone in this thread is advocating that the OP "settle" and only choose from actions priced under $1000 or whatever... guys just chiming in about the one's he listed.

I'd advocate (and think most would agree) that the OP should try as many different actions as he can before he decides what to throw his money down on. I understand working within a budget and all, but that's not the priority when the difference between an Origin and an Impact is really only a couple of boxes of Berger's in the long run... get what you'll be happy with, buy once cry once, if what you end up liking the best is something around the ~$1400-1500 mark like an Impact/Zeus/etc, so be it.

But, with the actions mentioned at the top, he's not leaving much, if any, performance on the table going with any of them vs any of the pricier ones.

Plus, if saving ~$400-500 allows him to buy:

a top-shelf trigger instead of settling for a mid-tier,

a barrel,

a good bipod,

a good muzzle brake,

a good scope mount/rings,

a cheater/gun plate,

a good bag or 3,

a pair of binos,

a decent backpack for matches,

1/3 of an AMP,

(you get the idea) etc,

...he might be happier.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am starting to plan out a PRS rifle build. I have decided on the stock and will be running a MDT ESS Chassis

Looking for some advice on custom actions. Actions I am looking at that falls in my budget:
Bighorn Origin
ARC Nucleus
Defiance Tenacity

Or the budget option:
Tikka T3X
Remington trued action

Please share your experiences with these

Also open to any other brands that falls in the same price range

Thanks in advance
Do not get a trued action. They are very hit and miss. I got one and I couldn’t run a trigger tech or any other trigger because it was soooo out of spec. I would 100% say that you should get a tenacity. Mine is the smoothest action I have ever felt. It makes tikkas feel like shit. Zero cock on close with a trigger tech. Don’t have experience with the other actions but I love my tenacity.

Reactions: jcmullis2
Do not get a trued action. They are very hit and miss. I got one and I couldn’t run a trigger tech or any other trigger because it was soooo out of spec. I would 100% say that you should get a tenacity. Mine is the smoothest action I have ever felt. It makes tikkas feel like shit. Zero cock on close with a trigger tech. Don’t have experience with the other actions but I love my tenacity.
My tenacity’s are like yours, butter. TriggerTech diamond and Pva shouldered prefit in a krg w3 and everything dropped in. So easy anyone could assemble it. I’m sure the origin will do the same thing. Good luck

You gotta get a different bolt for the tenacity, they’re one piece bolts. I think being able to swap to a different case size is a nice option but not very important up front. Go back later on and buy a different bolt head or bolt if you want. I just looked and the origin’s extra bolt head is less expensive than a tenacity’s bolt. However it got me wondering if anyone has had any problems with the 2 piece design? Unless that’s been problem with origin actions, and I’ve never heard anything bad about them, I’d go with the origin. It’s a better buy.
I have an origin and a TL3 and I love them.

Reactions: jcmullis2
So first off - Great discussion and a lot of good info.

I want to step back just a bit and explain why these choices:

1. This is my first PRS build - I am currently shooting a Savage action from Cabelas in a MDT XRS chassis (Not the smoothest, the bolt binds up etc ... but it shoots 1/4 moa groups if I do my part. ) So this was my "budget" regret build
2. I do not need the best of the best. I want to build a decent rifle that I will be happy with. I have tried the origin and nucleus actions and think they are very nice. Nicer then my now sold Tikka (which I thought was really nice)
3. I have 6 kids and single income family. We do great but there are other priorities. For this reason I think the Origin or Nucleus or Tenacity are great "Custom" actions and I will be happy and proud to shoot any them
4. If I can save some money that will go towards good glass without compromising quality then yeah!
5. My son is getting interested to start shooting with me. So this build will most definitely go to him with a barrel swap and bolt face change for .223. After that I will build another rifle with better parts

So now what I would like:
1. A good quality custom action with great support from the manufacturer
2. Rem700 platform (Aftermarket parts .. Simple)
3. Aftermarket Trigger support
4. Pre-fit barrel compatible. Preferably Savage small shank as I have several barrels
5. Easy swap bolt face

In addition, I have the same preferences for the Chassis. Does not have to be the BEST. I am looking at MDT ESS and save myself some money there while still buying a quality product that I personally like

Now to the question of Impact action - They are about $800 CAD more then the origin, nucleus or tenacity. That is a lot more (almost double) then the others that will come in handy in other parts of the build. Do I need to have an Impact. My answer is no. The actions mentioned are all good quality and smooth enough for what I intend. And availability is an issue in Canada. Same with the Tenacity actually :(

All the savings in the end goes towards components. These things are hungry and needs to be fed regularly. It aint cheap. :)

The actions I listed are the ones I know and have tried. That is why I said I am open to any suggestions in that price range. I am in no rush but ... ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think anyone in this thread is advocating that the OP "settle" and only choose from actions priced under $1000 or whatever... guys just chiming in about the one's he listed.

I'd advocate (and think most would agree) that the OP should try as many different actions as he can before he decides what to throw his money down on. I understand working within a budget and all, but that's not the priority when the difference between an Origin and an Impact is really only a couple of boxes of Berger's in the long run... get what you'll be happy with, buy once cry once, if what you end up liking the best is something around the ~$1400-1500 mark like an Impact/Zeus/etc, so be it.

But, with the actions mentioned at the top, he's not leaving much, if any, performance on the table going with any of them vs any of the pricier ones.

Plus, if saving ~$400-500 allows him to buy:

a top-shelf trigger instead of settling for a mid-tier,

a barrel,

a good bipod,

a good muzzle brake,

a good scope mount/rings,

a cheater/gun plate,

a good bag or 3,

a pair of binos,

a decent backpack for matches,

1/3 of an AMP,

(you get the idea) etc,

...he might be happier.

^^^^
This

How does the Origin compare to your TL3?
Well, I bought the origin used from a guy on here, so that may be why, but it just seems like it's easier to run. Just super slick and easy. The TL3 feels like it's "more action" and is nice for sure, and probably just needs more rounds through it, but it's just not quite as "slick" feeling as the origin if I'm being honest. The TL3 is great , don't get me wrong, it's not going anywhere, and it's a 308 compared to a 223 in my origin, so may be that has something to do with it also. The origin just feels like it runs itself a little more is the best way I can describe it.

I was thinking the same thing. I would go with a black bear or wait for the new prometheus. I think an integral top rail is worth the extra $$

Reactions: Lionsbreath
I have a Surgeon with an integral rail and also customs without but with pinned rails and neither move. I wouldn’t pay more for integral but it is one of the options people look at when making the decision on action.