• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Build Advice from Blueprinted Custom Remington Model 7

Riflman

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2019
Hi guys.

I have a custom Model 7 I had built several years ago, and then rebuilt by legendary LR/Benchrest rifle builder Mike Bryant. I would like to convert this into a PRS rifle, but I am trying to decide if it's feasible or not. It's a switch barrel rifle and both barrels shoot in the .2's and .3's with handloads, and in the 4's with Hornady factory ammo, though these are three shot groups for hunting. Haven't tested with 5 or ten shot groups, but I have done multiple groups to where the barrels were very hot and accuracy seemed to remain pretty consistent, though better on the heavy barrel. I think either would be fine for ten shot strings.

The one issue is that this is the older model with only three scope base holes and currently has a Talley steel one piece base.

Here's what I have now:

Blueprinted Remington Model 7 action with pinned Badger Ordinance Recoil Lug
Two Switch Barrels that are indexed to the action:
- New Bartlein heavy fluted barrel, 1:7.5" twist chambered in 243 Win. 20.25" plus brake
- Lilja #1 ultralight 24" barrel. 1:8 twist with Vais brake chambered in 6mm Creedmoor.
Reworked factory trigger set to 2.5 pounds. Might swap it but I have no problem shooting it accurately now.
Currently has a Pillar bedded, cerakoted factory schnabel end factory stock.

My thoughts are to switch to a chassis stock that takes AICS magazines (if I can find one), throw on 30mm Talley steel rings and my Nightforce 5.5-22 x 56mm scope and go play for a bit and see how I like it. Reasonable?

IMG_7919.jpg
IMG_7924.jpg

IMG_7930.jpg

IMG_7931.jpg

IMG_7830.jpg

IMG_7911.jpg

Last edited:
If it's not feasible, I would love to get some opinions of value. I might just move it somehow and then find or build a proper starter rifle.

If you are trying to backdoor sell this rifle without being a Supporter you will be banned.

I wouldn't spend any money on a new rifle/chassis until I had shot a match to see if I would actually enjoy it (unless I didn't have a rifle). My vote is to take the rifle you have, 100 rounds of ammo, a bipod, a rear bag, and a good attitude to a local match and shoot.

Anything can be done. With enough money.

Should you with that gun? I don't think so.

You could put the heavy barrel on, and just go shoot a small local match. See what everyone is using and more then likely some people will let you shoot ten rounds through their match gun.

The amount of things you would want to change on that rifle to make it comfortable and competitive at a match is everything... but maybe the action.

Not trying to be a snob.

I suggest try what you have and see what your shortcomings are. My good friend used a kimber 84 in 308 at a local match and placed 2nd. But he has 20,000 rounds or more a year practice, every year for the past 5-6 years. A 7 pound rifle is not ideal at all for PRS. But it can be done. I just don't recommend it at all for a new guy.

Edit to add.

I think that is a beautiful hunting rifle. Maybe it should stay that way. But yes if you could get a heavier barrel, dbm and stock more suited for barricade shooting. It might work.

Is the cost worth it? Again my opinion is no. Keep it as is, go shoot a match with the heavy barrel and see what you need. I've watched guys run internal mag guns and they only do it for one match.

Last edited:
I wouldn't spend any money on a new rifle/chassis until I had shot a match to see if I would actually enjoy it (unless I didn't have a rifle). My vote is to take the rifle you have, 100 rounds of ammo, a bipod, a rear bag, and a good attitude to a local match and shoot.

Without a detachable mag? It's currently a drop floor plate. From what I understand, I have to irreversibly alter the action feed rails to fit a detachable mag, so won't eb able to go back once I do. Also not sure if shooting a match for fun would be do-able with a drop floor plate.

Without a detachable mag? It's currently a drop floor plate. From what I understand, I have to irreversibly alter the action feed rails to fit a detachable mag, so won't eb able to go back once I do. Also not sure if shooting a match for fun would be do-able with a drop floor plate.
Most local matches will give you some leeway. We've had guys with roughly the same set up come out and shoot. We give them wind calls and call misses for them. Sometimes give them more time on the clock. They understand and we know they will not be competitive or anywhere near the top scores. So just let them shoot, it's always more fun to get hits then misses.
I try to always let guys with less then ideal setups shoot my match gun. 6 dasher, impact action, foundation stock. Normally they say that's what they want to get after they shoot it. And I can't blame my misses on poor equipment

And with an internal mag. I've watched guys top off and single load. It works. But it's not an efficient use of your time on the clock. This brings us right back to you should try it. Then you will see what you need and that what you have isn't ideal.

Last edited:
Reactions: CK1.0 and DIBBS
Anything can be done. With enough money.

Should you with that gun? I don't think so.

You could put the heavy barrel on, and just go shoot a small local match. See what everyone is using and more then likely some people will let you shoot ten rounds through their match gun.

The amount of things you would want to change on that rifle to make it comfortable and competitive at a match is everything... but maybe the action.

Not trying to be a snob.

I suggest try what you have and see what your shortcomings are. My good friend used a kimber 84 in 308 at a local match and placed 2nd. But he has 20,000 rounds or more a year practice, every year for the past 5-6 years. A 7 pound rifle is not ideal at all for PRS. But it can be done. I just don't recommend it at all for a new guy.

Yeah the rifle is not ideal. Appreciate the candid response. And yeah I don't want to invest a bunch in the rifle to attempt to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. I did shoot F-Class for several years out to 1200 yards and have a lot of experience LRH for coyotes and fox since the late 80's. Have also done a few Benchrest matches with borrowed rifles and beat some heavy hitters. I can read wind, but would need to refresh on my dopes at different ranges especially for a new cartridge. PRS is different because you're moving and shooting from barriers, but I think with a bit of practice and getting back into I could be competitive. I've pulled off shots at fox and coyotes at insane ranges with very little time to adjust. Heavier rifle than this, but I think PRS would be fun to try.

Reactions: camocorvette
I'm not certain it would fit, but legacy sports has a drop in for the 700 bdl, it is a ploymer unit, woth polymer magazines.
They actually work very well and don't require any modification. I'd shoot the heaviest bullets that will stabilize in the .243.
Honestly though, that is a very nice rifle, one that I likely wouldn't want to possibly damage.
My advice, buy a differnt rifle. maybe something like this to get your feet wet:

Wow. I
I'm not certain it would fit, but legacy sports has a drop in for the 700 bdl, it is a ploymer unit, woth polymer magazines.
They actually work very well and don't require any modification. I'd shoot the heaviest bullets that will stabilize in the .243.
Honestly though, that is a very nice rifle, one that I likely wouldn't want to possibly damage.
My advice, buy a differnt rifle. maybe something like this to get your feet wet:

Wow. I had no idea you could buy Howa 1500 barreled actions on their own. From what I've seen they are pretty accurate, at least good enough to start with. Might be a great option, though I prefer 6mm. Can they take the larger magazines?

And yes I would shoot heavy bullets in the 243 win. It has 1:7.5" twist so should stabilize the very heavy bullets.

This rifle was a 6BR for over 20 years but never quite fed right so I had Mike recharger the lilja and replace the bottom metal and follower with standard 243 length. Long story but there was a mixup and I ended up with these two barrels that are close to the same thing. At least if I shoot one out, I have another. The rifle is ~6.5 pounds with only a couple of ounces difference between the two barrels.

For me the biggest hurdle I had getting into prs was the equipment.
I started with a remington 700P.
It had a m5 dbm, so having enough rounds was covered. But at factory weight a rounded bottom of the stock and my average marksmanship skills. It was not ideal.
It was very tough to spot my misses. My buddy let me use his spare match rifle for 3 matches. I just paid for ammo. I got to use a impact action with a proof 6 dasher barrel in a foundation stock with all the weights in it. It had a gen 3 razor on it. My scores went up 50% at least.

I still have my 700P I've dumped countless hours in it. Hogging out the stock to add weight. Installing a arca rail. Getting the balance point perfect for barricades and gates.

I still use my dasher every match. I've been practicing with my 308 to save on barrel life of the dasher. It also is amazing going from a 20lb 308 to a 24lb dasher. There's zero recoil and I can spot every impact and miss.

20210825_201128.jpg
20230817_162736.jpg

Top picture was factory form. Bottom picture is 20-22lbs after I hogged out the whole stock to add lead weight. It's much better suited now. But now I'm going to either set back the barrel or put a truck axle on it. Because to load the 178's accurately they are 3 inches long. After the barrel gets figured out. I'll use it for prs matches to change things up.

But at the end of the day I'll use my dasher when it matters.

There's shooters out there that have the skill and experience to take that 308 in stock form and rock me on the range. My buddy could probably use your rifle in stock form and get higher scores then both of us combined.

I'd rather have fun at a match and not be able to bitch about my equipment being ideal..

Last edited:
Reactions: Riflman
I have this too. Fast twist Lilja 1:8. Used to be a F-Class rifle with a single shot follower and the barrel was 29" in 243 ackley. Now just 243 Win and shortened. Very accurate. If I could get bottom metal for Mags I would use that and add an arca rail on the bottom. Has a Timney trigger set at 1.5 ounces.

IMG_7839.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
If you don't grab a different rifle. You are gonna want a flat/wide bottom to rest on bags. You can put arca rails on anything if you are fine with modifications.

I think your 2 biggest hurddles, you know about already.
Having mag swaps on tap. There's gonna be 12 round stages. You can easily do 10 rounds from a mag and 2 from a Sap side round holder. But a internal mag is not good.
I think your biggest issue is barrel.
Your gonna cook that barrel like a hot dog.
90-180 seconds is 10-12 rounds, 6-10, times a match. 60-100+ In a couple hours.

That gun is nice. They both are, but you've got 3-4 matches of that and the barrels toast. Or You keep those the same and get something suitable. Or sell them to fund something more suitable.

Reactions: bar_n
I'd use heavy 2800 fps bullets in the 243 Ackley to get a feel for a match. But yeah, I think a different rifle is a way better use of your time and $

Reactions: bar_n
I'd use heavy 2800 fps bullets in the 243 Ackley to get a feel for a match. But yeah, I think a different rifle is a way better use of your time and $
Both of those rifles have heavy barrels chambered in 243 Winchester now. I wouldn’t use the Lilja #1 barrel that’s currently in 6mm creedmoor. But yeah both have no magazine option. I can add one to the Model 7, but not the Ruger M77. The M77 has a wide flat forearm I could easily add an arca rail too, and with 108 ELDs or another heavy match bullet should be as good as any other rifle for a few matches. But again, no mag option.

I do have a brand new ultralight rifle I had Mike Bryant build me that I might sell if I can get enough out of it. Then I’ll buy a dedicated PRS rifle and maybe an AR for coyotes. It has defiance AnTi, proof barrel in 300 Win, and is loaded up with all the best parts. His QC group was a .322 but I have too many custom guns. It took two years to source the parts and have it built and now I’m like, Meh. I like my custom 338 Win switch barrel. lol. Having an action like a defiance makes it a bit easier to get credits if I like the sport.

IMG_7664.jpeg
IMG_7758.jpeg
IMG_7760.jpeg
__Screenshot 300 win mag build specs.jpeg
IMG_7763.jpeg

Last edited:
We live in a Rem M700 world. If you plan to do more than dip your toes in, just go that route. (Because in the end the gun is the cheapest part and at least you'll have something you can get rid of easily if it collects dust).

If it's going to be a budget-conscious/bang-for-buck build, I fully co-sign the Howa M1500, but I'd go with a KRG Bravo. My old fully kitted out Howa/Bravo weighed ~23lbs without doing any MacGyver/DIY stuff and could do everything my current Manners/Origin rig I run now does.

...but again, if you start dropping coin on weights and shit, you'll wish you had just went M700... my Howa/Bravo rig wasn't really "match ready" until I added ~$400 of weights and stuff from KRG...

The above advice is great, go shoot a match with what you got, just bring a good attitude and the rest will iron itself out... IMHO to really have fun at a match you'll probably find you'll also need a decent pair of binos, a tripod, and a semi-fancy backpack to haul around all your new sniper guy shit with lol, but most guys won't mind sharing their shit at all and you don't/won't really have to buy anything until you've figured out what you want to do.

Howa/Bravo (plus a bunch of KRG ala carte items):

tempImageKsJWjx.png

Last edited:
Yeah the rifle is not ideal. Appreciate the candid response. And yeah I don't want to invest a bunch in the rifle to attempt to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. I did shoot F-Class for several years out to 1200 yards and have a lot of experience LRH for coyotes and fox since the late 80's. Have also done a few Benchrest matches with borrowed rifles and beat some heavy hitters. I can read wind, but would need to refresh on my dopes at different ranges especially for a new cartridge. PRS is different because you're moving and shooting from barriers, but I think with a bit of practice and getting back into I could be competitive. I've pulled off shots at fox and coyotes at insane ranges with very little time to adjust. Heavier rifle than this, but I think PRS would be fun to try.
By the way you describe it, it is not a sow’s ear.
It is a silk purse that simply doesn’t match the outfit you want to wear.
If it were me I’d keep the rifle for its intended purpose and buy or build something for PRS.

I agree to get another rifle. The beauty of a model 7 is to have a little shorter than model 700, lighter hunting rifle. It shines as a handy deer stand rifle. I would not irreversibly alter it as spoken of in post #5

Reactions: Riflman
I'm going to sell my new 300 win mag above and get a PRS rifle instead. Maybe an ar15 for coyotes too now that I've left commifornia. I really don't need another hunting rifle. In fact I might sell the custom Ruger and Model 7 switch barrel too. I have a custom Remington 700 with pinned recoil lug and switch barrel 338 win mag/ 7mm mag that's my principal hunting rifle that I'll keep. It's .50 moa rifle too just a little heavier. I've used it for years all over the world and I feel like I'm cheating on my girlfriend if I use something else, other than for coyotes or varmints. And for coyotes I want to rig out an AR15 with thermal. That and get a PRS rifle. The Ruger was killer for F-Class but I used a single shot follower and remove the extractor for that. I used it for LR coyotes too, but rarely. It's time to let some of these go.