• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS calibers and powder used, switching from H4350 to Varget.

_Raining

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Since it is so hard to get H4350 I was thinking of switching to a different caliber that uses Varget and not have it be a sacrifice compared to H4350. For instance I know you can use Varget for 6.5x47 but it seems like H4350 is still the better choice.

What are some calibers that are competitive in PRS open division that use Varget?

Availability of factory ammo is not a concern but I am a bit weary of wildcats that don't have brass available (I have never fireformed before).

-Thanks-

Something smaller, 6br/dasher/bra or something pushing a lighter bullet like a 120gr in 6.5

I’m running a 6.5 CM pushing 130 bergers with Varget haven’t run into any issues at all. Around 2790 FPS with an 18” barrel

Reactions: LG65CM
Not exactly what you asked but RL16 is a great alternative to H4350 and is getting easier to find lately. Powder valley had about 174lbs in stock when I ordered the other day.

I run a 6.5x47 in comps with great success. I am running 123 elds at 2950 with Varget. I also have loads with 140 and 142s with Varget as well. My rifle hammers with Varget loads.

I am running 123s with RL15 and 143s with 4831sc. If you keep your eye out h4350 shows up and disappears pretty regularly online. I got 8 pounds a few weeks ago.

Varget is the go to powder for 6.5x47L. Less powder needed, single digit SD and excellent accuracy. I'm shooting 140 Hybrids with 37.2g Varget at 2835 out of a 27" Kreiger.

The local reloading shop near me always has it in stock. $200 normally or $185 when they put it on sale for an 8 lb jug. Can't believe it's so scarce in other areas that you'd be forced to switch calibers.

I'd switch to IMR4451 before I switched calibers.

Varget is a great powder, and available. But it's a barrel torcher. Combine that with the fact that a lot (most?) of the cartridges that use it well can also be run safely at 60K psi plus. And that's what a lot of people are doing when loading up to pressure signs and shruggingtheir shoulders when they see the occasional ejector swipe. I switched to a 6mm cartridge that uses 4831SC, H1000, or RL26. All good powders, plentiful, and temp stable. I try to keep it at 50K psi or less. Gets me 3000fps with a DTAC and throat erosion is half of the 47L and Dasher that I used to shoot. Food for thought.

Which 6mm would that be? Already thinking ahead to what I want spun up as at this rate my 6.5x47L will likely give up the ghost by next season.

Since it is so hard to get H4350 I was thinking of switching to a different caliber that uses Varget and not have it be a sacrifice compared to H4350. For instance I know you can use Varget for 6.5x47 but it seems like H4350 is still the better choice.

What are some calibers that are competitive in PRS open division that use Varget?

Availability of factory ammo is not a concern but I am a bit weary of wildcats that don't have brass available (I have never fireformed before).

-Thanks-
I researched the H4350 and found H 100 V to be very good. Go to the Hogdon website.

This is not so much as finding an alternative to H4350 for 6.5 creedmoor, it is about choosing a caliber that is prevalent in the PRS scene and varget is the go to choice for powder. Another reason I would like to switch to a caliber that uses varget is that I shoot 308 and 223. I also tend to spend more time on my PRS rifle, so right now I am running out of H4350 and I have 8 lbs of varget just sitting there not seeing much use.

As for online ordering, that is a no go. I live in an apartment so I can't have it shipped here and there is no way I am having it shipped to work. Companies make mistakes so even if I could call them up and have them ship it to hold at the UPS store or w.e I wouldn't risk them accidentally shipping it to my apt and having a situation when someone at the front office sees my name next to hazmat flammable stickers. And before you ask, I do not have friends with a house who would let me have it shipped there. I am asking around on my local gun forum to see if there are any local shops around and I'll be contacting them to see if they have it in stock or when they expect to have it in stock but that still doesn't solve my problem of having varget sitting there unused.

Could check out 7mm SAW from west texas ordinance or 7-08AI. I've been using up the last of my h4350 in my 7SAW before I switch but varget is supposed to be an excellent powder for it as well. Pushing the 162s out at 2820 with the H4350, Varget should yield a bit more velocity.