• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Dry Fire Tips

Ubaderb

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2020
I finally have my reloading room setup and there is enough room for a dry firing area. I have a DFAT system with some of their targets placed around the room. At this point I’ve just been messing around with competing but have gotten the bug to get better. So my question to everyone is what have you done in your dry firing that has made the biggest impact? I tend to overthink things but has simply doing multiple build and breaks of a position worked the best for you? I want to make sure I am using my time efficiently.

I finally have my reloading room setup and there is enough room for a dry firing area. I have a DFAT system with some of their targets placed around the room. At this point I’ve just been messing around with competing but have gotten the bug to get better. So my question to everyone is what have you done in your dry firing that has made the biggest impact? I tend to overthink things but has simply doing multiple build and breaks of a position worked the best for you? I want to make sure I am using my time efficiently.

Never accept anything less than a perfect trigger press. If the reticle moves, then redo jt.

Reactions: LV Precision
Never accept anything less than a perfect trigger press. If the reticle moves, then redo jt.
X2.
build a position, get you in your natural point of aim, get the rifle in its natural point of aim, and make a perfect trigger press when the reticle isn't moving.
video it, time it, review.
critique, rinse, repeat.

Make sure you're building *good* habits with dry fire practice.
Have another experienced shooter offer suggestions, tips, etc.
Be willing to take advice.

IMO dry firing is not really about dry firing. Yes, you get to practice making good trigger pulls but really the practice is position building.

Work on all heights of shooting positions. Work on finding the most stable position with NPA for each of those positions. Work on aligning gun/body so that when you get into that NPA you are already on-target in scope in perfect alignment - ie learning to aim your whole body position exactly at the target. Work on doing it efficiently, no extra movement, no rush, just smooth and relaxed. Make a perfect trigger press then move to a new position. Repeat repeat repeat until you can do it in 12-15 seconds between trigger pulls.

IMO dry firing is not really about dry firing. Yes, you get to practice making good trigger pulls but really the practice is position building.

Work on all heights of shooting positions. Work on finding the most stable position with NPA for each of those positions. Work on aligning gun/body so that when you get into that NPA you are already on-target in scope in perfect alignment - ie learning to aim your whole body position exactly at the target. Work on doing it efficiently, no extra movement, no rush, just smooth and relaxed. Make a perfect trigger press then move to a new position. Repeat repeat repeat until you can do it in 12-15 seconds between trigger pulls.
This is the way.