• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk PRS Equipment

TropicLightning

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2018
Washington State
Hello everyone,

So I'm new to the long range game, and while I've shot long range with friends/sniper sections when I was in (recently ETS'd this year) but Ive never owned my own precision rifle myself (Can't really count my M110K1 a rifle for PRS since it'll stay within 800m)

With that being said, with a lot of advice from a few friends who compete in PRS, I ended up ordering a GA Precision Crusader with Tempest action and 24' barrel in 6.5 CM., most likely will be running a suppressor (have a 7.62 Full size Knight's Armament QDC) but might buy a separate can for this rifle. I'll be running a NF ATACR 5-25x56 F1 MIL-C.

I wanted to collaborate a list of equipment needed/recommend for PRS/long range.

I'm in the business of buy once cry once so definitely not afraid of spending money for the right equipment to train with.

What is your recommended equipment listing for competition or just long range shooting in general? (PIC of my M110K1 for attention)
M110K1 .jpg

-Tropic Lightning

Reactions: 504ranger
Gamechanger is a must in this aspect of shooting, the rest i could live without, i also like having a solid backpack/rucksack to carry all the essentials. (Water/ ammo/ snacks/o-shitkit)

Tripod/ spotter/ binos ( Watch the guys before you shoot/ It will help you get a consensus of what the wind is doing)

Ive used 4dof/ballisticArc/strelok, mainly i use ballisticArc which has been reliable for me. That said kestrel5700/ link is my next pic up for ease of use. Plus I believe there's a lot of new gadgets coming out that will connect to it?

Range finder Definitely depends on how much you want to spend, I've used 4000k -- 200.00 and u get what u pay for. At the moment i have been using a nikon 4k, no complaints with that unit.

Realistically if you haven't shot a match get out and shoot, There will be other guys with all of this crapp for u to check out in person. Get some solid dope on your rifle and don't change shit before the match.

Reactions: TropicLightning
Realistically if you haven't shot a match get out and shoot, There will be other guys with all of this crapp for u to check out in person. Get some solid dope on your rifle and don't change shit before the match.

this. use your first couple of matches as scouting practice, see what folks are using and what may work for you. THEN you can buy what will work for you.

I think the must have's are:

1. gamechanger type bag (i use mine as a rear bag for prone and for under the rifle for shooting off barricades)
2. a pack to carry all your stuff in. eberlestock makes great packs, esp if you don't mind spending money
3. a chronograph to get actual muzzle velocities for creating your drop chart. Magnetospeed V3 and Labradar are the popular choices. I use a magnetospeed
4. bipod if you don't already have one (this is kind of obvious)
5. good ballistic app program with a wind meter (like the weatherflor weather meter) or a kestrel type device
6. good set of electronic shooting ear muffs/buds

good to have, but not a must:

1. binos/spotter with or without a tripod.
2. larger pump type pillow (something like a wiebad pump pillow)
3. extra magazines, possibly one with a +2 extension

Unless your rifle tracks straight back with the suppressor, I would ditch it and go with a quality brake. Seeing and calling your shots/corrections is critical to picking up points. A brake is the "low hanging fruit" in the PRS game.

Go to some smaller monthly matches if they have them in your area, get hands on experience with some of the products others are using. Generally, everyone is proud of what they own and use, and will let you play with it. Don't let the cool factor, or this is what the guy who won the match uses influence your decision on what to buy. An example is, just about everyone in the game is spending a ton of money on RRS and Fiosol tripods, but I prefer Manfrotto because they offer flip levers to extend or shorten the legs (plus they are less expensive), whereas the RRS and many others use the twist lock rings, which I personally dislike. Get hands on experience, and buy what works for you, not someone else.

ScottDWallace mentioned using a brake over a suppressor because you may not be able to track your shots (see trace, impact, or miss) with a suppressor. I have Thunderbeast and Surefire cans, and rarely ever used them in competition. However, last year I got to demo a Silencer Tech Suppressor, they are unique in that they only have one or two baffles, and react much more like a brake than a standard suppressor. I ended up getting the 5" single baffle Silencer Tech, and will be using it next season. They retail for $650, and the only con is they are only available for direct thread.

Get yourself a Kestrel 5700 with AB for your Dope, learn to use it, you'll be glad you got one when you see how well they work.

Laser Range Finder, you will discover they all range to the same degree of accuracy (measuring distance), but their performance as far as how accurate (pin point) and how far they can range greatly varies. I have owned many over the years, and have settled on a Terrapin and Steiner 8x30 LRF Mil Binoculars for my match needs. I like the Terrapin for it's ranging capabilities and how pinpoint percise measurements I can make, but it sucks for speed in measurement. Whereas the Steiner's are fast, but the optical quality of the glass is so so, and the ranging distance can be limited to 800-yards depending on sun angle and glare. If it were a perfect world, and Leica made their LRF with a precise etched reticle with a dot instead of the large LED box for aiming, I'd be getting a pair of those. Words of wisdom, don't rush out and buy a LRF until you've had hands on a lot of different models and types.

Congrats on the GAP rifle, it will serve you well.

Last edited:
My list is going to be similar to others, I’ll try to rate them in order of what I feel like is the best order to buy. I’m not going to list things that are considered part of your rifle (bipod, optic), or things like a backpack to carry ammo in, hearing protection, etc.

Most important

Fortune cookie/Gamechanger bag (depends on who you ask and the region of the country you’re in as to what is popular). I personally like the fortune cookie as I use it as a rear back as well.

Magnetospeed v3. Easier to trasnsport and set up than a labradar. Fuck the sporter version. Just get a v3 and thank me later after you see someone with a sporter. Owned a sporter for a while and once I bought a v3 I realized its for stupid or poor people.

Ballistic calculator and windmeter. If you can afford it immediately, buy a kestrel 5700 elite with link. If you can’t, use your phone with StrelokPro and a weatherflow windmeter (or whatever software you like, just get software). Save up and buy the kestrel ASAP. Again, fuck the rest, get the 5700 elite with link and love life.

Data book. Get one and use it. Round count and dope data. The kestrel and apps are awesome, but this is still the tits of shooting. Use it as a journal as well to write down what you feel like you did right or wrong on a stage.

Ran a stage and thought something would be genius, you tried it, and fucked up miserably? Write it down, along with what you think will work better or what you changed partway through.

Rangefinder. Buy a sig or Leica for a few hundred and call it quits. This will be used more for practice (unless you have a range with set and known targets at all times), as well as verifying there isn’t a typo on the CoF. If you have a range with known distance to practice or if you want to use a tape, you can put the rangefinder at the bottom of the list as plenty of people will have them.

The above will get you rolling just fine. The below is stuff to pick up when you find a good deal.

Pump Pillow or similar. This won’t be used as much as the fortun cookie/Gamechanger, but you will use it to fill in space. Don’t make the mistake of trying to use this as a front bag except for the rare occasion it makes sense.

Tripod. RRS or Leofoto is a good place to start looking. There are a handful of other brands that are good as well. Don’t buy anything except carbon fiber unless it’s only going to be used to hold a spotter. Many match directors are limiting the use of tripods and you’ll mainly see them being used to hold spotters or rear support. There will likely be someone with one you can use until you buy one.

Spotter. Buy one with a reticle. You can either use it to help call corrections (if allowed) or to help yourself see what’s going on and how far off people are (only pay attention to the guys shooting well).

Spend the rest of your money on ammo, training, reloading equipment, or if you’re dumb like me......different rifles and optics.

Suppressor.....meh, if you have the cash, or if enough guys in your area can make a suppressor only squad, do it. If not, until they (never) are quicker to get, everyone else will be running a brake anyway.

I’ve only been shooting PRS style matches for the past 6 months, and if I had to do it over again, that is the path I would take on gear.

Last edited:
Also, as you collect gear, pass it on. Let other people who are new use your shit. When you buy a kestrel, give the weatherflow away to someone who can’t afford a kestrel, etc.

Pick up something from the prize table it turns out you can’t use? Give it to a new shooter. Nothing on the prize table you need or want to try, let a new shooter or someone who can use it take your turn at the table.

If you’re out there shooting a lot of matches and you can’t afford to pass something cheap on or let someone use your gear from time to time, you have your financial priorities fucked up.

@hookedonbrass and @Dthomas3523 pretty much covered it.

The only thing I would add, also probably obvious, is something to use as a shooting mat (mostly for practice/zeroing, as you likely won't use a mat in matches). You may also find a decent pair of 8x or 10x binoculars for finding targets while waiting to shoot a stage a great investment, as they are easier to scan and search with than a spotter.

My list is going to be similar to others, I’ll try to rate them in order of what I feel like is the best order to buy. I’m not going to list things that are considered part of your rifle (bipod, optic), or things like a backpack to carry ammo in, hearing protection, etc.

Most important

Fortune cookie/Gamechanger bag (depends on who you ask and the region of the country you’re in as to what is popular). I personally like the fortune cookie as I use it as a rear back as well.

Magnetospeed v3. Easier to trasnsport and set up than a labradar. Fuck the sporter version. Just get a v3 and thank me later after you see someone with a sporter. Owned a sporter for a while and once I bought a v3 I realized its for stupid or poor people.

Ballistic calculator and windmeter. If you can afford it immediately, buy a kestrel 5700 elite with link. If you can’t, use your phone with StrelokPro and a weatherflow windmeter (or whatever software you like, just get software). Save up and buy the kestrel ASAP. Again, fuck the rest, get the 5700 elite with link and love life.

Data book. Get one and use it. Round count and dope data. The kestrel and apps are awesome, but this is still the tits of shooting. Use it as a journal as well to write down what you feel like you did right or wrong on a stage.

Ran a stage and thought something would be genius, you tried it, and fucked up miserably? Write it down, along with what you think will work better or what you changed partway through.

Rangefinder. Buy a sig or Leica for a few hundred and call it quits. This will be used more for practice (unless you have a range with set and known targets at all times), as well as verifying there isn’t a typo on the CoF. If you have a range with known distance to practice or if you want to use a tape, you can put the rangefinder at the bottom of the list as plenty of people will have them.

The above will get you rolling just fine. The below is stuff to pick up when you find a good deal.

Pump Pillow or similar. This won’t be used as much as the fortun cookie/Gamechanger, but you will use it to fill in space. Don’t make the mistake of trying to use this as a front bag except for the rare occasion it makes sense.

Tripod. RRS or Leofoto is a good place to start looking. There are a handful of other brands that are good as well. Don’t buy anything except carbon fiber unless it’s only going to be used to hold a spotter. Many match directors are limiting the use of tripods and you’ll mainly see them being used to hold spotters or rear support. There will likely be someone with one you can use until you buy one.

Spotter. Buy one with a reticle. You can either use it to help call corrections (if allowed) or to help yourself see what’s going on and how far off people are (only pay attention to the guys shooting well).

Spend the rest of your money on ammo, training, reloading equipment, or if you’re dumb like me......different rifles and optics.

Suppressor.....meh, if you have the cash, or if enough guys in your area can make a suppressor only squad, do it. If not, until they (never) are quicker to get, everyone else will be running a brake anyway.

I’ve only been shooting PRS style matches for the past 6 months, and if I had to do it over again, that is the path I would take on gear.

Awesomely thorough and I truly appreciate your insight! taking all of this in!

I'll echo what others have said, get out to a match and see what everyone actually takes to a stage. I've got a locker full of gear that I bought because I thought I needed it, but 9 matches out of 10, I take my fortune cookie, pump pillow and weather meter. Most matches I've been to, the experienced shooters love helping out new guys and sharing their gear.

Lots of good advice here.
Always wanted to get into PRS and finally made the jump this year.
One solid piece of advice said above: take your rifle to a match and shoot. Other guys are happy to let you use their gear. That'll give you the best idea of where to spend your money. (I speak from experience).
That being said.
I don't bother with tons of bags like some guys.
1)A Gamechanger being my go to and a pump pillow. That's it.
2)A small armband for writing stage dope on. Armageddon gear makes a good one for 30$.
3)A good bag for packing your gear. I use my 511 72 hour bag.
4) A Kestrel 5700 elite w/Link. I've used Strelok pro for years. Recently bought the 5700 and man oh man was it a good investment.
5) good set of electronic earmuffs. I love my Peltors.
6) A Chrono if you don't already have one. Accurate velocity numbers are imperative.

I don't believe an expensive tripod setup is necessary equipment. I don't care for the idea of using one as a crutch and if you need one in a match there will always be one you can borrow.

That'd be the list of things I'd get if I could do it again. Good luck!

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I just started PRS shooting this year. I don't have a Chrono or Kestrel, so I just ran an estimate of dope on JBM and then took it out to my range to verify before the match.

I literally had my rifle, bipod, ammo, and a Nike football wristcoach for a dope card. On every stage I was able to try out a bag from someone on my squad and even a couple tripods. I figured out what I liked and ordered a Gamechanger for the next match. Even at that match I borrowed a couple bags and a tripod on a stage or two.

I did have a backpack to carry everything from stage to stage but my recommendation would be to just go out and shoot a match before buying anything you really don't need.

Like everyone has said it multiple times and it has to be the best piece of advice is to get out and go shoot some matches before you buy a bunch of gear and don’t be afraid to ask anyone to use a bag, get behind their rifle to look through a scope, or feel a trigger, look through a pair of binos, it will all help in the end! And ask all the questions you can think of because the majority of them will do whatever they can to help an new shooter.

My advice is to have someone video you when you are shooting that way you can look back and see what you are doing wrong and can improve on because when you are first starting and the time starts it’s like a whirl wind you rush and rush and think you are going to run out of time but really you have plenty of time just take your time and get the hits that you know you can get it’s better to get 6/10 and run out of time then to go 3/10 and have time left.

Reactions: pga43
I've only shot a few PRS style matches myself, so I'm no expert, but the advice here is great. Wait to buy a bunch of gear until you shoot a few matches and find what you like. It is really neat how many shooters at these matches are more than happy to let you try their gear and/or have a discussion about it.

That being said, the first bag I bought that is very versatile is a game changer.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm