• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk PRS Gas Gun Series Opener

BattleAxe

Chief
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2010
    Earth
    Anyone else going? Still on the fence over what to run but I signed up for Tac-Heavy. Starting to think this match will be more 5.56 friendly.

I'll be there in Tac-Heavy. What makes you think .223 is the way to go? Just wondering.

Mostly because of the time component. A 7.62 gasser does not lend itself to rapid follow-ups to the same degree that a .223 does. I can easily send 2 accurate rounds down range with a .223 for every one I can send with a .308 simply due to vastly reduced recoil and faster follow-ups/quicker target acquisition. While they're saying there are distances to 800 yds I don't think there will be many stages out that far. And if history is any indication...About maybe 2 years ago I shot in the SASR (semi-auto scoped rifle) match out there and ran heavy. I remember it rained sideways for one day and part of the other. The spotters couldn't see the .223 hits on the plates or in the berm so they cut the long range stages and it became primarily a short-to medium range match. I walked away from that match wishing I had run a .223 (I don't have an open class gasser).

Of course that all could be meaningless. The SASR match was likely an "experiment" to some degree and lessons learned from that one will likely be applied to this one. Either way I'm lucky to maybe shoot 2 matches per year so I have no illusions of making the PGA tour, and usually just try to see how far I can stay away from last place. I'm running heavy because I have vastly more trigger time on my .308 but I'll be bringing my .223 just in case I have a failure of some type... I won't have to piss away all that money since I'll have a backup rifle and can at least still shoot.

It's February so the wind won't be .223 friendly anyway. I have a feeling it will be blowing like a bitch.

This was a very fun match. Tyler from the AMU smoked everyone with a 6CM.. but would have probably done the same with a .223. The next 4 places were taken with .223 guns FWIW. I think the series has to develop before any one platform stands out, especially across different locations and course designers.

There was definitely a trendfor 4-16x and 3-18x optics, which worked out perfectly. Hold-overs are going to matter a lot more with this series vs the bolt gun matches in the interest of saving time. I ran an ATACR 4-16x F1 with an H59 and was very happy with it.

Definitely an awesome match. I talked to Tyler about his rig...its crazy that you can run about anything through a gasser now. The sport is moving so fast its almost hard to keep up. I'd definitely have been better off running .223. I probably wasted 3 seconds per shot just getting back on target for a follow-up. I didn't dial anything either the entire match and that was a good call.

I just sat there RO'ing because MY DAMN BARREL FELL OFF!!!!! Who does that happen to??? This Guy! lol. For real though the stages looked great and I'll probably try and shoot the Outback match coming up.

I just sat there RO'ing because MY DAMN BARREL FELL OFF!!!!! Who does that happen to??? This Guy! lol. For real though the stages looked great and I'll probably try and shoot the Outback match coming up.

LOL you'd be surprised. I had everything that could conceivably go wrong...go wrong, thankfully before the match though. I had a rifle I hadn't touched in 2 years and thought it would be a great idea to upgrade the bolt. I broke 2 triggers due to a bolt issue, didn't have glass until the week prior, didn't get my trigger until 4 days prior, or a zero until 3 days prior. Then to piss me off further the long range I needed to train at was closed for clay events. It wouldn't have shocked me even slightly if my barrel had fallen off. By all rights I should have finished dead last. Thanks for RO-ing!

I had the pleasure of shooting with Tyler a few months ago. He put on a 2 day clinic for PRS style shooting. I learned so much from that guy, what a talented individual. Where did he finish? I can't find results anywhere.

I'm pretty sure he ran away with it. I hauled ass after the last stage so I can make it home at a decent hour and wasn't around for the award ceremony

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Kinda wondering if anybody ran brass catchers or not? Just thinking these matches would be a little tougher to get brass back then the bolt gun matches.

Almost everyone running .223 seemed to leave brass behind. We had one guy shooting a .22 Nosler that had a brass catcher on some stages, but he didn't let it get in the way and ran without on other stages.

Given the ejection patterns of the gas guns, you're going to lose brass. One more reason to go Tac Lite in my mind.